Thoughts on Yakuza roleplay?

jointmikey

9 hours ago, Garras Up said:

So what differs the Yakuza from other criminal groups and makes them so desirable to rp? Genuine question, cause i dont know.

The post above is very similar to my personal thoughts on the matter - in essence, there is a historical basis to RP in a manner that is not as adversarial as other groups. I find the dynamic surrounding robberies and extortions to be in extremely poor OOC taste and therefore avoid them like the plague - but I would not expect a street gang to be anything but a street gang. Robberies are just part of street gang life. Extortion rackets are just part of mob life.

A yakuza would provide me a historically supported avenue of breaching into illegal RP without having to engage in what I consider to be distasteful engagements that needlessly sabotage other players.

On 9/20/2020 at 11:23 PM, DLimit said:

It has been rejected countless times in the past, as their power within Los Angeles is minimal in comparison to their opposition. They wouldn't be able to expand due to the secure presence of opposing organizations in the city.

If this is the case, then they should start shutting down all the Cosa Nostra factions since they have no power in LA irl. I’ve never liked the double standarts shown by both players and admins throughout the years of the GTA RP community. People used to shit on Norteno factions because there are no Nortenos in LA, but don’t say anything to countless Cosa Nostra factions. Why?  If there are Cosa Nostra factions, there can be a Yakuza faction too.

I mean I personally don't think LCNs should exist in LS either, they haven't existed in LA for years now, much less California itself. Nor has any other ethnic organised crime group apart from the Korean/Chinese ones, Jewish organizations and the Armenians. There's no European or Albanian criminal cells in LA either.

Not calling out any specific factions, just stating my beliefs cause I don't have double standards, I just have standards.

Like others have noted, they don't really have a presence in LA irl. I see a lot of people pointing at LCN and saying "Well if this is allowed so should Yakuza RP!" I don't think they are really comparable. Your right there hasn't been a recorded LCN presence in LA in awhile, but LCN is an American OC type and though they aren't as big as they once were I'm absolutely sure they have some type of presence there. The mob goes where ever there is money and LA is a cash machine. It's feasible that crews would pop up here and there. Is the extent to which the mob is present realistic? Not entirely but what would you like to do, cap the amount of players that can be RP as Italian's at any given time?   

I personally don't care if we allow Yakuza factions. As long as they aren't cancerous RPers there isn't much I personally can object too, however I do think it undermines the existing Asian factions on the server. Asian RP is already a niche, over the last few months we've established several more niche's within it. At what point does fragmenting the original niche go from being a positive to a negative. That's the only real issue I can raise. 

Ok but there are Italian American mobsters in California. They’re just not huge organizations where everyone’s name ends in a vowel. They are small, multi ethnic, disorganized and usually lorded over by East/Midwest Italian American organizations for their links to Hollywood and Vegas.

Yoshitomi and Yakuza groups mainly focus on legitimate business ventures, securing firearms to ship back to Japan and middleman drug distribution (specifically methamphetamine) to SEA, Chinese and Korean gangs all over the states.

If they’re whacking fingers off and saying shit like “shamefuh dispray” it’s not going to happen. But having spoken to IFM regularly on such topics I can guarantee if it’s portrayed properly it will get accepted.

Just like the Northern Mexican discussion it just needs to be within the confines of realism. Is it likely an entire gang from Bakersfield or Salinas moves to Paleto Bay and set up Paleto XIV? No gracias. But a single Nuestra Familia representative or a small robbery gang hoping to roll some sureno drug dealers? Dias on the tiera, homie.

TL:DR I want to rob surrats... But seriously focus on a background, portrayal and direction that is realistic and it will get approved.

The day that a Yakuza faction is accepted within the server should be the day that The Shower Posse exists within the server. The Shower Posse was rejected since it doesn't supposedly possess a powerful presence within Southern California, despite the FBI and CIA maps suggesting otherside:

WQqjGGM.png

Edited by DLimit
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

The what? 

Their presence within the world: WQqjGGM.png

The point I'm attempting to make is the following: The Shower Posse possesses a larger presence in L.A. than the Yakuzas. Thus, if the Yakuza faction were to be accepted, then The Shower Posse should be accepted.

Edited by DLimit
15 hours ago, DLimit said:

Their presence within the world: WQqjGGM.png

The point I'm attempting to make is the following: The Shower Posse possesses a larger presence in L.A. than the Yakuzas. Thus, if the Yakuza faction were to be accepted, then The Shower Posse should be accepted.

Yea, there totally isnt a directly comparable map for the yakuza.... right???

Yakuza%2C_Map_%28customized_map_from_Shadowhelix%29.png

• Wuhtah locked this topic