Thoughts on Yakuza roleplay?

jointmikey

3 hours ago, Koko said:

I have Opinions™ on this matter that are hard for me to express without sounding like I'm throwing shade on current illegal factions, so huge disclaimer: I do love illegal RP and the passion that illegal RPers put into their organizations and their roleplay. I by no means want to sound like I'm putting their quality in question as they are a huge driving force for the whole community directly and indirectly.

Anyway, ever since I joined the server, every so often there's word of someone working on a Yakuza faction, and every single time the gossip machine brings back that it was shot down due to issues with realism when compared to the alleged scope of the Yakuza in real-life Los Angeles fundamentally, as well as other specifics depending on the particular proposal (there's been quite a few).

Now, this is where I want to tread lightly in saying that I don't understand (from the outside, lacking insider knowledge) the apparent double-standard in measuring the Yakuza specifically as opposed to other factions currently existing. I'm not saying that existing criminal factions are bad, but they are often not the biggest example of real-life realism. They're often a GTA sort of realism. Which is great in my opinion. This is pretty much applicable to civilian and Gov RPers, which are realistic, yes, but in the lens of a GTA RP exageration.

I simply struggle to understand why the Yakuza specifially (a very popular criminal idea) seem to be held to this extreme standard when we have illegal factions constantly pretty much at open war around the city making daily hits and displaying a level of openness about themselves that definitely doesn't follow RL rules (few of us really do on this server because we're here to RP and have fun and explore stories, this isn't a bad thing, again).

Anyway thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

I fully agree with this, there is a plentora of concepts that may not be up to realistic standards and people often forget its a game. I'd rather see factions that might not belong in an area in real life but has a chance in this fictional world. If Japanese roleplay could be beyond finger cutting and going sideways in some rice cooker It'd uplift the overall quality of roleplay on the server in my eyes. And for all the purists, surely it might be a bad idea in your eyes. But honestly, the more roleplay we can generate in a setting that doesn't evolve around high end cars, and high end apartments even when it comes to criminals the better.

I’m going to chime in here by mentioning the Yashitomi group. They have existed, and still exist to this day with quite the influence in Los Angeles, Chicago and nearly any other state you could imagine. No, they aren’t your conventional Yakuza group, but they are an example of Yakuza co existing with other mobs and gangs within America. I think if done correctly there is no harm in having a realistically portrayed Yakuza group within Los Santos. As long as said group doesn’t intend to completely take hold of the crime and business monopoly and run Los Santos as seen in Japan, I don’t see a problem here.

1 minute ago, Calamity said:

I’m going to chime in here by mentioning the Yashitomi group. They have existed, and still exist to this day with quite the influence in Los Angeles, Chicago and nearly any other state you could imagine. No, they aren’t your conventional Yakuza group, but they are an example of Yakuza co existing with other mobs and gangs within America. I think if done correctly there is no harm in having a realistically portrayed Yakuza group within Los Santos. As long as said group doesn’t intend to completely take hold of the crime and business monopoly and run Los Santos as seen in Japan, I don’t see a problem here.

Honestly, if a faction is able to sieze a monopoly like that on GTA:W with the amount of different groups we got, that's an achievement in it self and they should be allowed. Cause it's highly unlikely.

2 hours ago, Pathway said:

because yakuza doesn't exist in that way in LA, all their work IRL is either legal or gun-smuggling through hawaii. 

It's like someone making an irish mafia, british street gang, ect. They don't exist in the US let alone LA so why would they be allowed on the server. If Yakuza is allowed, then new-york gang's have to be allowed, and UK drill gangs have to be allowed, and australian gangs have to be allowed. 

I don't think any illegal organization exists in LA the way it is portrayed in GTAW, particularly when it comes to organized crime.

4 hours ago, Koko said:

I simply struggle to understand why the Yakuza specifially (a very popular criminal idea) seem to be held to this extreme standard when we have illegal factions constantly pretty much at open war around the city making daily hits and displaying a level of openness about themselves that definitely doesn't follow RL rules (few of us really do on this server because we're here to RP and have fun and explore stories, this isn't a bad thing, again).

I  believe this is a matter of perception, rather than a different standard.

1 minute ago, mj2002 said:

I  believe this is a matter of perception, rather than a different standard.

Could be! Again, I understand IFM's justification, it's not really unclear, I just don't think I personally agree (but my knowledge of the whole scope of it is limited, all of this is mostly a hot take).

9 hours ago, Koko said:

I don't think any illegal organization exists in LA the way it is portrayed in GTAW, particularly when it comes to organized crime.

ur intentionally not getting my point. Yakuza only exists in Japan and Hawaii, name one faction on this server that doesn't or couldn't realistically exist in a california setting. 

You're getting into faction potrayal, which of course isn't going to be 1:1 since criminals are secretive and unless an actual gang convinces all their members to play gta w that will never happen. 

Answer me this: If Yakuza gets let on the server, why shouldn't I be allowed to make a London drill gang? Literally the exact same premise, they don't exist in the US and never will, so it would be dumb to let people rp them.

Yakuza in Cali is basically non existent. It used to be a thing, but even then it was extremely small and the only reason it functioned was because of their allience to other Asian crime groups. I sincerely doubt that anyone on the server can pull off a Yakuza faction that would last longer than 2 weeks without any stereotypical roleplay like a fully tattood person with a fresh-off-the-boat Japanese name walking around in suits with each and every single member missing a finger.

Edited by nateX
  • Wuhtah locked this topic