Thoughts on Yakuza roleplay?

jointmikey

35 minutes ago, BigSmileLing said:

No gang or mafia is going to do good things, they are all going to rob, murder and commit deplorable acts.

That is exactly my point. My comments were in response to a number of other comments, painting the Yakuza as some sort of 'honorable' organization that is different from every other organization in that they allegedly are much less disgusting in the things they do and are 'apparently' less prone to violence (Which is obviously a result of the Yakuza being romanticized in games and media)

All of the mentioned points are in fact untrue, meaning that the Yakuza are the same, if not worse than pretty much every other criminal group out there. You don't even hear about the most notorious gangs on the planet going around doing the things the Yakuza has been accused of doing.

TL:DR my point was that there's nothing that differs the Yakuza from other criminal organizations.

39 minutes ago, BigSmileLing said:

And about not allowing Yakuza and other mafias on GTAW, the use of the card  "There is no Xmafia in LA so you can't create it" has always seemed an absurd excuse to me, in LA there is not as much crime as on GTAW and here we are, we also come to do RP of something that we are not in real life, we are not going to allow troll factions either, but I don't see why not a serious faction.

It's my simple opinion, I think we shouldn't have to follow 1:1  everything that happens and there is in LA.

I personally don't care if people roleplay them or not, or if the server follows LA or not, I was mainly responding to various people's (very misguided) views and opinions on what the Yakuza is.

On 6/23/2021 at 1:00 PM, balaklava said:

That is exactly my point. My comments were in response to a number of other comments, painting the Yakuza as some sort of 'honorable' organization that is different from every other organization in that they allegedly are much less disgusting in the things they do and are 'apparently' less prone to violence (Which is obviously a result of the Yakuza being romanticized in games and media)

All of the mentioned points are in fact untrue, meaning that the Yakuza are the same, if not worse than pretty much every other criminal group out there. You don't even hear about the most notorious gangs on the planet going around doing the things the Yakuza has been accused of doing.

TL:DR my point was that there's nothing that differs the Yakuza from other criminal organizations.

I personally don't care if people roleplay them or not, or if the server follows LA or not, I was mainly responding to various people's (very misguided) views and opinions on what the Yakuza is.

Well damn.. I must've been horribly misdirected then.. I was always under the assumption that their activities lay more with drugs & guns and a near non-existent sex-trade footprint. Various sources I used to base that assumption on always depicted them as morally questionable at best, with a rather honorable trait instilled in them. 

Certainly an eye opener, but I'm sad more than anything, as up to this point I thought so "highly" of them...

17 hours ago, Kenshi Haroku said:

Certainly an eye opener, but I'm sad more than anything, as up to this point I thought so "highly" of them...

The Yakuza are well-known for having a pretty good PR style IRL and controlling the narrative around who they are and what they stand for. After all for the longest time they pretty much operated businesses openly in Japan.

Organized Crime is Organized Crime no matter how you try and mask it. Most of these organisations have honor systems, but they're all romantically worded ways to make people not snitch.

Problem is, everytime someone tried to bring a Japanese OCG type of role play to the server, were always crushed by the staff. And yes, there is a family operating in Los Angeles, you can literally google it and find out more about it. 

United States

Yakuza activity in the United States is mostly restricted to Hawaii, but they have made their presence known in other parts of the country, especially in Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area, as well as Seattle, Las Vegas, Arizona, Virginia, Chicago, and New York City. The Yakuza are said to use Hawaii as a midway station between Japan and mainland America, smuggling methamphetamine into the country and smuggling firearms back to Japan. They easily fit into the local population, since many tourists from Japan and other Asian countries visit the islands on a regular basis, and there is a large population of residents who are of full or partial Japanese descent. They also work with local gangs, funneling Japanese tourists to gambling parlors and brothels.

Whoever thinks there isn't Yakuza activity in Los Angeles is either blind or can't properly research. It's an amazing organization to role play, /if/ done properly. I just wish the staff would atleast allow this type of role play into the server, 'cause there was a lot of attempts since the beginning of 2020.

Edited by naito
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Wuhtah locked this topic