Making Gun Shot Wound roleplay more enjoyable - but how?

Cobra

31 minutes ago, JayO said:

Our main issue here is people not responding to us. Time and time again people just either ignore us or tab out. When they do reply, we've asked them at least 4 times the same question. 

As I stated earlier, the RP you see on scene from us is the BASICS, bare minimal. I would love to go into a lot more detail but other people don't like waiting around which is stupid in itself seen as they are here on a 'Heavy' RP server.

I would love to see you guys handle an evening shift at FD where you are inundated with 10+ GSW calls a night, along with the lack of responses and poor RP we see. Only then would people actually understand our point here. 

At this point in time, peoples perspective towards FD RP is completely delusional. We're trying to promote RP with detail and people are seeming to want to shoot us down for it. There's no skimming out details in medical RP, medicine is a complicated subject for a reason, there's LOTS of what may seem 'minor' details involved that are actually critical in stabilizing a patient. 

Maybe people should learn a thing or two from FD RP and improve their own RP first.

Maybe if we, FD, were given CK permissions people would take the RP a lot more seriously. 

Little bit harsh to blame the community. Find a middle line and work with that. If someone uses words and terms that only someone who studied a handbook knows, then you are creating confusion. Roleplay is not better if you use fancy words or terms, roleplay is better when both parties understand each other and take fun out of it.

27 minutes ago, Tseard said:

Little bit harsh to blame the community. Find a middle line and work with that. If someone uses words and terms that only someone who studied a handbook knows, then you are creating confusion. Roleplay is not better if you use fancy words or terms, roleplay is better when both parties understand each other and take fun out of it.

/b "Hey, what does Cardiovascular mean?"

/b "It's to do with the heart and circulatory system!"

/do What affects would an IV have on my condition?

/do The IV would help to stabilise your blood pressure and give us a chance to transport you safely.

Edited by Fraggloid
1 hour ago, Tseard said:

I'm sorry but like I said, its basics. Vacuum splint, trauma dressings, bandages, backboard, scoops, gurneys. /do "what is your pulse? 60-100 is normal" /do "what is your breathing rate? 12-18 normal" Pretty much everything we use as BLS. There is nothing complicated about that in the slightest. 

All it takes is a quick Google or as Fraggloid said, ask us in /b if you are uncertain. 

ILS is hardly used and is a rare type of RP people will experience, that's where the more in depth medical terminology comes into play and to be honest, the most interesting RP. 

We have to adapt to what people give us as injuries and if people want to RP their injuries that require advanced medical aid then that's their choice, going afk or tabbing out is NOT the answer and sticking with the RP route they have given us AND themselves will make things a hell of a lot easier. Complaining about medical terminology that you don't understand is a pretty pathetic excuse as we don't use anything but the basics, besides ILS.

Lastly for using terminology people don't understand, it's the terminology that's used. We cant just make up words for things that are medically named "/me sticks a long metal pointy thing into your arm, does it pierce the vein?" No thanks.

Edited by JayO
Just now, JayO said:

I'm sorry but like I said, its basics. Vacuum splint, trauma dressings, bandages, backboard, scoops, gurneys. /do "what is your pulse? 60-100 is normal" /do "what is your breathing rate? 12-18 normal" Pretty much everything we use as BLS. There is nothing complicated about that in the slightest. 

All it takes is a quick Google or as Fraggloid said, ask us in /b if you are uncertain. 

ILS is hardly used and is a rare type of RP people will experience, that's where the more in depth medical terminology comes into play and to be honest, the most interesting RP. 

We have to adapt to what people give us as injuries and if people want to RP their injuries that require advanced medical aid then that's their choice, going afk or tabbing out is NOT the answer and sticking with the RP route they have given us AND themselves will make things a hell of a lot easier. Complaining about medical terminology that you don't understand is a pretty pathetic excuse as we don't use anything but the basics, besides ILS.

I was not referring to the BLS at all, I was referring to the ILS section. BLS is simple and straight to the point, ILS is complex and uses terms that an average person wouldn't know.

You find it interesting RP to do, someone else might not. Maybe someone is not in the mood to continuously ask what this does, or what that means. And certainly not going to google it. It is not people their choice to start to roleplay something that requires advanced medical roleplay. I can not refuse to not roleplay it since that would be breaking the rules.

You are roleplaying with other people, not alone, so you also need to keep that in mind.

As I've said multiple times in this thread: ILS use is pretty damn rare. In the 4 months I've been ILS qualified, I've used it 3 times, and I'm one of the most active members of the faction. Anyone not currently qualified in ILS is NOT being given ILS training, and it's been that way for a few months. The only people currently ILS qualified are Engineers, Supervisors and above - a small group of people, many of whom are inactive due to IRL reasons.

ILS is a non-issue.

Edited by Fraggloid
  • Upvote 1

@Keane statement has validity that certain EMS personnel are robotic and are just paraphrasing a handbook that might not be up to standard anymore.

Furthermore JayO and seemingly a lot of FD, what you are forgetting here is, in your whole argumentation as a matter of fact, that not everyone is a native English speaker and thus is able to understand immediately what an IV is, a vacuum split and such. To spin this even further you push the blame onto other players who may not know how to roleplay a realistic GSW to any body part all. There are many variables to consider, did the bullet flat out go through the body of the victim as is the case with FMJ or was man-stopping ammunition used? Was an artery pierced or hit thus causing major blood loss?

It is not only up to the victim to decide what he or she wants to roleplay, because many people, me included, are not trained (virtually/in reality) to know what potential injuries can be caused by a bullet of the different calibers (.45, 9mm, .307 and all the others). How about instead of treating a generic GSW call as an annoyance as more of an opportunity to create roleplay by asking the people on scene whether they wish to RP x or y and if they want to be kept alive tell them their chances even if just approximated. For example medical personnel could suggest, to make it interesting for both parties that the bullet penetrated part of lung, thus certain more sophisticated tools/operations are needed. The list goes on, and if they don't you can always revert to the basics. But as the saying goes you miss all the chances you don't take.

I am sure there's a rather large amount of the playerbase who'd be interested in taking part in some more extensive roleplay regarding EMS personnel, ILS, and however the rest of these are called.

Edited by Marcus.
10 minutes ago, Tseard said:

I was not referring to the BLS at all, I was referring to the ILS section. BLS is simple and straight to the point, ILS is complex and uses terms that an average person wouldn't know.

You find it interesting RP to do, someone else might not. Maybe someone is not in the mood to continuously ask what this does, or what that means. And certainly not going to google it. It is not people their choice to start to roleplay something that requires advanced medical roleplay. I can not refuse to not roleplay it since that would be breaking the rules.

You are roleplaying with other people, not alone, so you also need to keep that in mind.

Sorry, but if someone's not in the mood to roleplay, they shouldn't be in game. 

We would never ask you complicated questions that you wouldn't understand. 

I wouldn't say to a mechanic don't roleplay anything too complex with my car because I know nothing about cars irl, I just let them do their thing, get on with it and enjoy themselves. 

Most the time when we're RPing we talk the player through it anyway. 

Maybe if we did use more complex medical terms it'd actually be a lot more interesting and the player can learn something new. Roleplay is about learning and sharing knowledge, no harm can come from it. 

So if a paramedic decides to give you lactated ringer's solution because you're shot, don't throw a fit if you don't know what it is, just ask. 

Just now, Marcus. said:

@Keane statement has validity that certain EMS personnel are robotic and are just paraphrasing a handbook that might not be up to standard anymore.

Furthermore JayO and seemingly a lot of FD, what you are forgetting here is, in your whole argumentation as a matter of fact, that not everyone is a native English speaker and thus is able to understand immediately what an IV is, a vacuum split and such. To spin this even further you push the blame onto other players who may not know how to roleplay a realistic GSW to any body part all. There are many variables to consider, did the bullet flat out go through the body of the victim as is the case with FMJ or was man-stopping ammunition used? Was an artery pierced or hit thus causing major blood loss?

It is not only up to the victim to decide what he or she wants to roleplay, because many people, me included, are not trained (virtually/in reality) to know what potential injuries can be caused by a bullet of the different calibers (.45, 9mm, .307 and all the others). How about instead of treating a generic GSW call as an annoyance as more of an opportunity to create roleplay by asking the people on scene whether they wish to RP x or y and if they want to be kept alive tell them their chances even if just approximated. For example medical personnel could suggest, to make it interesting for both parties that the bullet penetrated part of lung, thus certain more sophisticated tools/operations are needed. The list goes on, and if they don't you can always revert to the basics. But as the saying goes you miss all the chances you don't take.

I am sure there's a rather large amount of the playerbase who'd be interested in taking part in some more extensive roleplay regarding EMS personnel, ILS, and however the rest of these are called.

The problem isn't with people not knowing how to RP a GSW, it's them not wanting to, they don't want to sit through FD's RP, they want to get to hospital and get on with their game. 

We always assess a patients injuries and walk them through what means what. If someone is shot in the chest for example, we'd ask them if there's any difficulty breathing, is the chest raising unevenly, can we hear wheezing and so on. 

Players aren't stupid, they can always ask if they're unsure. 

Just now, Marcus. said:

to make it interesting for both parties that the bullet penetrated part of lung, thus certain more sophisticated tools/operations are needed.

And in doing so, make scenes last longer than they already do, and fall into @Tseard's line of complaint. doing so is a no-win situation, besides which, as stated in my previous post - the number of FD members qualified to perform more complex procedures is quite low.  There are currently only 6 people in the whole faction able to use ILS in the field.

18 minutes ago, Duke said:

removed for size

You are asking, im talking about suggesting. The FD scenes I was involved in previously, not on GTA:W, had the same argumentation. As stated before, people might not know how interesting it can be, hence you as a virtually trained professional EMT could suggest the route to go down. i.e. the person has been hit scriptwisely in the chest, rather large area of the body mind you. Instead of asking hey hows your breath, instead suggest: "hey do you want to roleplay this as a bullet that straight up went through and didn't hit any vital organs?" or "hey do you want to rp this as a more serious matter?"

Not only do you already gauge the situation and the willingness of roleplay with these suggestions, but also create an opportunity for yourself to shine. And your argument about "people not knowing how to RP a GSW" are you really sure about that? How many of the players have ever been shot at in their real life? It's not even a percentage, it's probably a percentile. There are various routes it can go! The way I currently see is BLS calls are boring because it's always the same, the person you are treating always wants essentially the same outcome. Which I am not going to argue, that is a fact yes.

But you seem so enclosed in a capsule of "this person doesn't want to roleplay this and that which would make my day better!" that you forget what has been mentioned by my previous statement.

In your last sentence, I am not calling, ex- or implicitly stating that players are stupid. But I, myself, never was interested in the medical field hence I only have the basic first aid training IRL. But you, FD and EMS as a whole, have a far better insight into the whole topic than any of us regulars do I am certain of that, you have that knowledge and you should be able to apply not only to make it more enjoyable for yourself but also for other players.

15 minutes ago, Fraggloid said:

And in doing so, make scenes last longer than they already do, and fall into @Tseard's line of complaint. doing so is a no-win situation, besides which, as stated in my previous post - the number of FD members qualified to perform more complex procedures is quite low.  There are currently only 6 people in the whole faction able to use ILS in the field.

My example, was merely that an example. You don't need to go down the whole line of availability, but you can make something out of a rather boring situation. It's the same with a normal traffic stop to go back round and bring the PD back in there as well. Sure if you go by protocol and go full robot, the traffic stop can and ultimately will be boring for both parties. But if you stray off the given path and see where thinking outside the box leads it can become more interesting.

As you said Fraggloid as well as Tseard, yes time constraints are a thing, I am not going to argue that either. People do not want to sit there for 30 or more minutes, but if you consider the average time frame for a situation you as a professional should also be aware what is and what isn't feasible to RP in the current circumstance. Thus you can ask yourself: What can I do to make this situation more interesting for -ME- and for the player I am RP'ing with in 10 minutes? Hey, let's suggest going down path A and see whether they respond positively or negatively. 

If all else fails as I said before too, revert to the basics and get it done. There will always be the odd one that doesn't understand how impact-full medical rp can be, they see it as a curse instead of an opportunity to advance their character in a certain way. 

Edited by Marcus.
  • Keane locked this topic
  • Keane unlocked this topic