Making Gun Shot Wound roleplay more enjoyable - but how?

Cobra

Just now, Marcus. said:

Big text

So the gist of your suggestion is let the player decide their injuries, we do that, they're not interested. 

We ask about obstructions, broken bones due to the projectile's path, if it nicked an artery etc, we do all of this. They'd still rather tab out and not reply to /do's. 

Just now, Duke said:

So the gist of your suggestion is let the player decide their injuries, we do that, they're not interested. 

We ask about obstructions, broken bones due to the projectile's path, if it nicked an artery etc, we do all of this. They'd still rather tab out and not reply to /do's. 

No, actually quite the opposite. You suggest to the player what could be potential injuries and which paths would be feasible. Because the damage system only displays overall hits no specifics.

2 minutes ago, Marcus. said:

No, actually quite the opposite. You suggest to the player what could be potential injuries and which paths would be feasible. Because the damage system only displays overall hits no specifics.

Ok, I'm not going to sit there PMing a player a list of injuries for him to choose from, that'll just annoy them. 

"Hey, so you could've broken your bone because of the bullet, wanna RP that?" 

"Oh yeah sure man!"

"Oh hey again, so the bone could've done a lot when it broke, it could've pierced the skin, pierced a major blood vessel, or just fractured, what do you wanna do?"

"Oh hey again, so you chose it pierced a major blood vessel and broke through the skin, so due to piercing a major blood vessel, a lot can happen, would it a, b , c , d, e, f"

No, that's just not plausible I'm afraid. We're there to treat injuries, not suggest someone's injuries and let them decide. 

Edited by Duke
Just now, Marcus. said:

So, you rather do everything according to the rule book fine. But then please refrain from blaming anyone but yourself for not at least showing some effort to improve current standards.

Why would I not want to do things by the rule book?

We go to a scene, assess the patient, they tell us what's wrong and we treat it accordingly then transport. We're not here to write people's RP for them. 

I've already said the way in which we roleplay needs improving to improve the flow of RP on scenes, this is down to the guides being incredibly outdated. I'm not sure what you think EMS do in real life, they follow protocols set out by their local authorities and hospitals they're chartered to, they don't make up treatment as they go along. 

Edited by Duke
Just now, Marcus. said:

improve current standards.

Given that this thread relates only to GSW calls and the vast majority of those are the player either PKing no matter what treatment we roleplay to try and save them, or miraculously surviving against all the odds after being shot 8 times, there's really not much we CAN do on our end. Most of the players we encounter just want to get it over and done with and don't care what we RP, and this shows in their slow responses and un-engaged attitude to the roleplay at hand - and this is what the issue is. It's not from our end.

Just now, Fraggloid said:

there's really not much we CAN do on our end. Most of the players we encounter just want to get it over and done with and don't care what we RP, and this shows in their slow responses and un-engaged attitude to the roleplay at hand - and this is what the issue is. It's not from our end.

giphy.gif

Fact of the matter is, EMS RP to most people is boring no matter what way we spin it. 

Just now, Duke said:

giphy.gif

Fact of the matter is, EMS RP to most people is boring no matter what way we spin it. 

I completely agree. We have such low numbers for that reason alone. 

6 minutes ago, Marcus. said:

So, you rather do everything according to the rule book fine. But then please refrain from blaming anyone but yourself for not at least showing some effort to improve current standards.

The rulebook is there for a reason, we follow it to the letter, such as real life.

We are not there to babysit someone through all their possible injuries and the many scenarios that a bullet could do to a human body. We ask them questions to get a baseline of what they want to RP, if that requires ILS then so be it that's a path the person has chosen.... willingly might I add, whether they know its ILS or not. 

This whole thing makes it out as though ILS is used constantly which is completely the opposite. I've seen it twice in two months and I was on for about 12-15 hours every day of that. ILS is extremely rare and pretty pointless to argue about because of such reason.

This term robomedic seems to be cropping up a lot, we have procedures and rules in place for a reason. Things are done in a certain way on purpose, let's call it 'linear'. This linear way of assessing and treating is done as a prioritization list so yeah we all do the same thing when we arrive on scene, to assess prioritization. 

FD have probably some of the highest standards of RP on the server. We are proud of that and are in no way shape or form going to lower our RP standards for the sake of some time. End of.

Just now, JayO said:

I completely agree. We have such low numbers for that reason alone. 

The rulebook is there for a reason, we follow it to the letter, such as real life.

We are not there to babysit someone through all their possible injuries and the many scenarios that a bullet could do to a human body. We ask them questions to get a baseline of what they want to RP, if that requires ILS then so be it that's a path the person has chosen.... willingly might I add, whether they know its ILS or not. 

This whole thing makes it out as though ILS is used constantly which is completely the opposite. I've seen it twice in two months and I was on for about 12-15 hours every day of that. ILS is extremely rare and pretty pointless to argue about because of such reason.

This term robomedic seems to be cropping up a lot, we have procedures and rules in place for a reason. Things are done in a certain way on purpose, let's call it 'linear'. This linear way of assessing and treating is done as a prioritization list so yeah we all do the same thing when we arrive on scene, to assess prioritization. 

FD have probably some of the highest standards of RP on the server. We are proud of that and are in no way shape or form going to lower our RP standards for the sake of some time. End of.

tenor.gif

Standards need to be constantly improved, not wavered to please lazy RPers. 

21 hours ago, Keane said:

There needs to be more emphasis on load and go rather than encouraging the faction members to perform surgeries on the sidewalk.

21 hours ago, Westen said:

I think this sums up my thoughts perfectly.

20 hours ago, Tseard said:

The roleplay does not have to be extremely detailed, this is something that a lot of people feel like is the bomb and makes you look elite but keeping it short and simple sometimes is way better. 

I'd like to issue all three of you a challenge.

Join FD. Roleplay with us. See what we do, day-to-day, and see how things work. I'm sure you'll quickly change your views when you see how dedicated, involved and enthusiastic our members are towards our roleplay. 

You'll also get a chance to see the sheer weight of calls we get that are repetitive, where the player just wants to get it over and done with because they crashed fleeing from PD, or pulled a gun and got shot and killed. You'll see our side of the discussion, and I'm sure you'll end up agreeing with us. 

We're here to roleplay, not provide a /revive command. 

• Keane locked this topic
  • Keane unlocked this topic