How to avoid being harassed by gangsters IC! (A guide!)

Decker

2 hours ago, lights said:

You forgot the main one:

Don't rp or exist around gang members! 🙂

All of your points are valid, first of all.

That being said, there will always be bad RPers, and they run rampant.
Several of my characters (both hood characters & "civilians") have still gotten harassed by terrible gang RPers for the following reasons:

1. She asked a guy if they'd moved in recently/were her new neighbors. - "Watchu mean mija, I been here my whole life, this is MY block." (+flashed his gun)
  2. Was getting in her car, in her driveway. "Your car's too loud." (It was off.)
  3. Said she wasn't looking for a boyfriend. 
  4. Denied giving her phone number.
  5. Gave her phone number and the guy thought it was fake because he immediately called it and it was in my house inv.
  6. Stood in their own backyard. Guy MG'd seeing them through a 6 ft tall brick wall, jumped it, and robbed them.
  7. Walked out of a garage into my own fenced in backyard. New gang had decided to jump the walls & fences and hang out there on my exterior furniture. I didn't mind it until they tried to get territorial and pick a fight,, in my character's own backyard.
  8. Walked past one while entering a 24/7. (Other character tried to insult & bait a pointless fight. I knew her on an alt, she wanted to jump people all day long.)
  9. A friend's character was on the balcony of their $700k+ house, in an expensive area that people turned into a gang neighborhood overnight. It was followed by muggings, shit talk, attempted fights, and house burglaries until they quit the server.

And it goes OOC too. One time a character's friend/tenant RP'd cleaning up graffiti from her front fence... And the new gang reported the property for "Lack of Fear RP" because she removed the tag. Gang wanted a free house and it didn't go as they wanted. I had to warn her that her Mexican character, in her own hood, could not clean up her own front fence.

Honestly there is no real way to avoid getting harassed by needlessly-hostile gang RPers, except completely ignoring them unless they force a situation.

It's not all gang members, I specifically pointed out the worst situations as an example. Some people just need to chill tf out.

Are you here to RP or are you here to speedrun escalating things into a fight/shootout?

one ticket to yappington city coming right up

• Upvote 2

This is a good informative post for many I'm sure, I can see a lot of others posting about their experiences though I have to say that many that I have seen when it comes to rp surrounding south central when it comes to pressing, does genuinely come from characters outside of the area either not understanding the culture or choosing not to. With that said, I have of course seen many instances of subpar rp from both sides, just the vast amount of instances I have seen, stem from two clashes of cultures that more often that not fail to understand one another, and that's okay! this happens irl lots too especially with tourists, which is why many locations are said to be avoided to them.

I have roleplayed a good chunk in south central myself, mostly as a local or a hangaround, its a lot more fun when you understand the culture behind it instead of some unfortunate souls who think its all just random acts of violence. Many may be surprised for me to say this I'm sure, but the amount of IC respect that comes from this area runs deep, its just often unnoticed by those who don't roleplay a good amount around this area. I'll give an example of this;

On one of my characters, Daniela Cardenas, she was randomly attacked by a gang with four males and one female, however they didn't all jump her - why? because of the culture that I mentioned, this is homegirl on homegirl, so the chick jumped in on my character and a fight proceeded. Now many people may be thinking this was just random and they were bored or something, but in actuality they pulled up looking for a rival gang that robbed this female from this area (Jamestown projects) and my character just happened to be from that area and there at the wrong time, despite her telling them that she doesn't bang, shes still a local and their tensions are high, plus maybe my character could be lying from fear, either way shes getting into that fight. My character ends up winning the fight, spitting blood out her mouth and walking away after calling her a bitch, the four guys during this, don't interfere whatsoever, pick up their homegirl and drive on regardless of her getting beat.

A lot of that culture is based around respect, if you get called a bitch and don't act on it? you'll be targeted as weak and likely won't survive in that environment, if you disrespect people in the culture its only natural that they'll act on it to avoid being seen as weak, this is why disses are always acted upon, its a constant battle between ops in this regard.

• Upvote 1
On 8/11/2023 at 7:07 AM, radreaper100 said:

the term civilian is the dumbest fuckin shit ever still 

true, there are characters who choose illegal actions most of the times, and characters who choose legal actions most of the times, in realistic rp none is classified as total "civilian character" and "illegal character"

• Upvote 1
Just now, Eastside.Shady said:

Why are people against the word "civilian"? It refers to people that aren't part of a gang/criminal outfit aka "in the life". This term is frequently used IRL too, its not an RP invention. Relax. 

Gangs and criminals are civilians, though. They are not military agents.

9 hours ago, DLimit said:

Gangs and criminals are civilians, though. They are not military agents.

This is true, but they still refer to non gang members as civilians, in a different context mostly to the way military agents use the word.

ive encountered both good n bad gangs. tho p sure bad ones are usually the ones everyone have a problem with so im not sure if that category would even be worth noting in this thread. but everything else is just based on respect. if you disrespect or mock in any way dont make a pikachu face if you are met with hostility or even get killed for it. 

also civilian is a common word to use to make the difference between someone with a specific affiliation to a group in general and someone who's just a regular dude hating their life and going to work. i once used the word "player" ic once and the other party thought i am trolling when i wasn't. it's just another commonly used word irl.