Snow for Christmas?

Nervous

16 minutes ago, Optimus Dime said:

We also have a desert to the north of the city of Los Santos so...

East of the Cascades, especially where I live, is a desert, with its own variants of cacti. It often snows at least a meter (3ft~), and was at even 4pm when I started to reply before I had to excuse myself, below freezing. In the summer you can easily see it nearing 40°C (100°F). Desert doesn't mean no snow.
California follows this rule, though most of the state is on the windward side.
San Andreas is about split in half, with some liberties taken, obviously. States that are split in half like that (Washington and Oregon especially) have much larger snowfall on the leeward side of the state.

In any case with this whole thread, San Andreas is San Andreas, California is California. It is an emulation, but distinct. The entire game is inspired by but an interpretation of a real life place. The same can be done here. So it might be hot like California, but it's not California. It's not even the Los Angeles area, it's Los Santos and surrounding areas. A distinct entity. That doesn't mean it's impossible that it snows.
Everyone talking about roleplay standards, I know what you're saying, but this event isn't gonna turn the server into The Purge. A week or so of intermittent snow isn't the end of the world. Roleplay quality is. Work on that. If it snows, and people are driving convertibles in sandals? Work on that. That's making sure the environment is better for everyone, year-round. Opposing snow for roleplay reasons isn't gonna change the quality of the server. Making sure that people roleplay to a high degree with what they're given is.

• Upvote 2

It's basically players and devs vs admins. 

I don't fully understand the argument against as we've established that it does on a very rare occasion snow in LA, if it was to snow for one week it wouldn't be completely unrealistic. We haven't even really decided exactly where LS is, just it's "on the west coast." 

Wildfires can and do occur in regions that are hot and dry in summer and are covered in snow in winter. IE, Reading, Paradise anywhere in Tahoe. 

Would people use it as a week of fun and non-rp? No, I doubt. And if yes, that's what /report is for. 

How much RP would it even bring? Besides people putting on winter jackets and hats probably just a few non immersion breaking lines such as "oh hey Rafi, it's cold out today huh?" or "Wow it reminds me of the one year we got snow in Syria in the mountains."

In all it's just a bit of fun and variety. 

• Upvote 2

I’ve said my piece and it clearly is going around in circles so I’ll leave it to the dev team to decide. I don’t think I’ll be ingame  to be roleplaying the magical effects of sudden snowfall until it disappears, like many players. 

This is the horrible divide that I’ve discussed multiple times before within the server. People throw the ”heavy roleplay” card around when it suits them, not because it’s a fact.

”Wow, that’s person just attacked me for no reason. I’m a COP... nobody would do that in REAL LIFE!”

*same person when Christmas comes*

”Omg let’s totes McGoats add some snow because we are playing a FUN GAME that we shouldn’t take SO SERIOUSLY!”

The divide will never change. It’s a prime example of why continuity will never be a thing because like I said, the concept of heavy roleplay is only expressed by people when it’s convenient for them to use and not when it’s a factual condition.

49 minutes ago, Rheotic said:

No. While it surely is a change from the usual weather and it's good to have something unique once in a while, but again how realistic would it be seeing everybody just walking around in the snow 24/7? I'm sure people wouldn't take into consideration that with snow comes a lot of consequences. If you want snow, you'll have to roleplay it properly. Per say, not stay outside the whole day when it's freezing cold but to also spend the majority of your day in doors ACTUALLY celebrating christmas.

It's just a weather, it doesn't stop you from roleplaying a holiday spirit. The reason I think so many people prefer snow over heavy rp standards is because they're bored of the usual sunny weather. This is a heavy roleplay server, you have to stand by those standards. It was expected of you from the very start when you joined this server.

1 minute ago, Maca said:

I’ve said my piece and it clearly is going around in circles so I’ll leave it to the dev team to decide. I don’t think I’ll be ingame  to be roleplaying the magical effects of sudden snowfall until it disappears, like many players. 

This is the horrible divide that I’ve discussed multiple times before within the server. People throw the ”heavy roleplay” card around when it suits them, not because it’s a fact.

”Wow, that’s person just attacked me for no reason. I’m a COP... nobody would do that in REAL LIFE!”

”Omg let’s totes McGoats add some snow because we are playing a FUN GAME that we shouldn’t take SO SERIOUSLY!”

The divide will never change. It’s a prime example of why continuity will never be a thing because like I said, the concept of heavy roleplay is only expressed by people when it’s convenient for them to use and not when it’s a factual condition.

couldn't agree more with both of these, this is a serious roleplay server let's keep it realistic please. snow in a place like LS just reminds me of an RPG server not a hardcore RP server 

3 minutes ago, Maca said:

This isn't an attack on you personally since I've seen this sentiment regarding "heavy roleplay" thrown around a lot.

Heavy roleplay doesn't mean realistic to a fault.

Heavy roleplay means roleplaying realistically within the world around you.

It's why there's heavy roleplay servers for games like Space Station 13, which revolves around doing jobs on a space station that can have wacky things like cultists summoning Cthulhu, space wizards, and more.

It's still "heavy roleplay" because the players roleplay their characters as realistically as they can.

If Los Santos snows, the "heavy roleplay" thing to do would have characters roleplay as they would in snow. Not have it not snow at all.

• Upvote 1

Yes, let it snow, perhaps it'll give those short shorts sluts an incentive to put on something a bit longer and warmer to roleplay the weather.

The fact that people are throwing around the words "heavy roleplay" within their reasons against snow for a couple of days is just preposterous, this is a game God damn it, not the next North Korean workforce camp, stop being sad we're here to enjoy ourselves. If people are going to boycott the server for the entire length of the snow event and want to be so childish so be it, no one is forcing you to play.

I've got my jumper ready and I advise for you to do the same.

smWk8RV.png

Instead of being like:

eyOYqkB.png

VLjKVQD.png 

So calm your tits, actually no don't worry, the snow will do that for you along with a 'white' christmas when it 'comes'.

Edited by XanX
  • Applaud 1

As if there’s going to be more than 12 pages of posts about whether we get snow or not when we can’t get over 2 pages of discussion for serious rule and script changes. Priorities are off the charts for something that’s temporary rather than permanent. 

• Upvote 4
1 hour ago, Law said:

As if there’s going to be more than 12 pages of posts about whether we get snow or not when we can’t get over 2 pages of discussion for serious rule and script changes. Priorities are off the charts for something that’s temporary rather than permanent. 

This.

6 hours ago, Atiku said:

Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today.

It's coooold out there every day. What is this, Vespucci Beach?

While it would be nice to see, it would completely undermine the direction server has been going in. We have enough problems as it is attracting heavy roleplayers to give us a shot and we'd become a meme overnight if we did this. The second we try to curb someone's unrealistic RP or try to convince them the new heavier GTA:W is worth checking out they'll just point to the fact we did snow RP in a climate where it almost never drops below 10 degrees Celsius. If we were a medium RP server, it would be cool to utilize but we're not, and it would undermine our project, identity and ability to attract players looking for a heavy RP server.

What's the point of doing stuff for people that are not even playing here just to make them happy so they might play here rather than making those who are already playing here, supporting the server, donating for it and keeping it alive - happy?