The Sheriff's Department & You

Bospy

1 hour ago, Gambler said:

So far so good. You guys have been fun to rp with. Maybe something that I like to see more, is that SD roleplays more around Paleto Bay SD-HQ. I've noticed majority of your staff starts they shift from County Jail, where I would prefer to see it happen more in Sandy/Paleto Bay HQs. 
Also something else that I like to see from you, which I'm sure you'll achieve it, is more diversity on civilians position.

What civilian positions would you suggest?

a lot of the true civilian posts are all related to crime analysts, examiners, or intel. Which, unfortunately, is limited because of the script. 

I think personally I can add in a medical examiner (coroner), case managers (mental and physical health agents), and possibly desk workers and receptionists. 

the issue is that with the non-sworn individuals is that it’s not something that would always be active or even supply a great amount of roleplay, a lot of it would have to be scheduled through /Jrequest or a 991 call unless the person roleplaying that position didn’t mind standing at a desk for a handful of hours and possibly see 1-2 people.

any other ideas?

• Upvote 1
Just now, kestrelbirdman said:

What civilian positions would you suggest?

a lot of the true civilian posts are all related to crime analysts, examiners, or intel. Which, unfortunately, is limited because of the script. 

I think personally I can add in a medical examiner (coroner), case managers (mental and physical health agents), and possibly desk workers and receptionists. 

the issue is that with the non-sworn individuals is that it’s not something that would always be active or even supply a great amount of roleplay, a lot of it would have to be scheduled through /Jrequest or a 991 call unless the person roleplaying that position didn’t mind standing at a desk for a handful of hours and possibly see 1-2 people.

any other ideas?

I myself am a Psychologist. I even RPed with a deputy for evaluation of some prisoners mental health. Personally would LOVE IT to rp in the County Jail, giving people in prison some more extra RP.  

• Upvote 1
Just now, Gambler said:

I myself am a Psychologist. I even RPed with a deputy for evaluation of some prisoners mental health. Personally would LOVE IT to rp in the County Jail, giving people in prison some more extra RP.  

I’ll toss it up the chain and see if we can add it. I appreciate the feedback.

• Applaud 1

So a bit more on that @Gambler. We have tried to implement psychiatrists to a certain extent but unfortunately at this stage we're lacking the logistics to fully flesh out a civilian program and maintain it. Our goal is to definitely include psychs and other civilian positions as we believe theyll be an asset to our faction and kestrel is on the mark when he says that we're all for it but we're also waiting for a bit more in the way for script infrastructure to fully bring in civilian staff. 

As for the paleto bay suggestion, we encourage our members to make their way out to paleto as much as possible but the patrol "station" is in sandy shores so many start their shift from there or twin towers facility, depending on their unit and where they drive n from. As the server grows and as a result, so does our faction, we have full intention of bringing more activity to the paleto bay station.

As always, thanks for the suggestion! 

Edited by Jonesy

My question is directed toward the faction leadership;

Why is there currently more focus on the patrol side of things than the correctional side of things? It seems when the faction started there was heavy emphasis on corrections being the primary service this faction provides, and patrol being the secondary. 

Now I'm being told by current and former members of the SD that basically everyone is a patrol deputy and the only time the jail gets worked is when a command member forcibly places deputies into the jail. Their statements seem evident by the fact that a drive out to the county makes it seem like deputies make up the majority population for that area. 

So onto my question, are there any plans to roll back the number of patrol deputies and have more emphasis on the jail? 

• Upvote 3

An outstanding faction, I don't think there's ever been a moment that I've doubted the judgement or any related procedures of even the lowest of rankers in the LSSD.

I know this was a thread for questions and/or potential criticism but I hope there's some room for a bit of good ol' fashioned flattery as well.

• Upvote 6
1 hour ago, SugarDavis said:

Why is there currently more focus on the patrol side of things than the correctional side of things? It seems when the faction started there was heavy emphasis on corrections being the primary service this faction provides, and patrol being the secondary. 

Now I'm being told by current and former members of the SD that basically everyone is a patrol deputy and the only time the jail gets worked is when a command member forcibly places deputies into the jail. Their statements seem evident by the fact that a drive out to the county makes it seem like deputies make up the majority population for that area. 

So onto my question, are there any plans to roll back the number of patrol deputies and have more emphasis on the jail? 

On 4/13/2020 at 7:16 PM, Jonesy said:

You bring up a good point. We definitely do our best to staff the jail as much as possible and have mandatory staffing levels depending on the level of inmates and according to optional self-reporting our members put between 8-11 hours per day in the jail. Now this is 11 hours total so it may be 11 people spending one hour or two people spending just over 5 so you may not see that coverage in your timezone. But we do do our best with our very limited faction size to ensure that the jail is staffed when inmates are IG and during peak time, but sometimes it's just not feasible. 

That being said, we're working closely with developers and mappers to bring in a plethora of new areas in the jail as well as shops etc to make sure that the jail has more to do both for inmates and deputies alike. Hopefully in the next few weeks / months we will bring our faction numbers up significantly to be able to staff the jail and bring in some of our proposed fixes / changes. 

I'm not a faction leader but I have been in the Sheriff's Department since launch and beyond. The tide shifted because of the lack of interest in jail roleplay, both from the criminal perspective and ours. The first few days of the jail opening were a utopia of some sort, the jail was active, we had a few people on patrol and we were hosting things to keep the jail roleplayers interest in the jail. Obviously, this wouldn't last. Jail goes through periods of activity and faction members voluntarily roleplay there. No one is forced, they're either asked nicely or like I aforesaid, go on their own accord.

We cannot be expected to properly emulate the Los Angeles County Jail system with less than 40 people. It's hard and people get demotivated. 

I don't think we need to roll back the numbers — from my experience? Everyone takes kindly to seeing us on scenes. The community (from what I've seen) are keen to see us flourish. They actively roleplay with us and make us feel welcome regardless of how new the faction is. I really don't think there is plans to ruin this connection with illegal roleplayers and legal roleplayers. We also have big plans for the future, we're not going anywhere.

Edited by Declan
18 minutes ago, Thimble said:

An outstanding faction, I don't think there's ever been a moment that I've doubted the judgement or any related procedures of even the lowest of rankers in the LSSD.

I know this was a thread for questions and/or potential criticism but I hope there's some room for a bit of good ol' fashioned flattery as well.

Very kind of you, Thimble. We appreciate and accept all pats on the backs.

1 hour ago, SugarDavis said:

I want to start by stating that I am not a member of the command staff, but I can give you leveled opinion from what has been communicated and what I believe the direction is. This is not official and I may as well be wrong, but here we go.

I understand the issue you’re describing, and most roleplay opportunities in the jail are best scheduled and organized on the discord. The reason why there isn’t any deputies on active shift always is because 9.99/10 times, the inmates there are AFK or are realistically placed away in segregation due to their behavior/actions.

There’s a lot of opportunity in the jail, and I know it’s going through reworks, expansion, and a bunch of development to open the door to even more opportunities. (Better design, compartments, businesses, and actual jobs to complete). Another thing that is changing is the command structure, which has opened the door to more supervisors to be present and able to lead and organize work shifts and tag other inmates to get online to enjoy those experiences. I know this may not be the best answer or the one you’d want, but in my eyes it’s the honest truth. We are just over three months in the faction, and there’s some things that are moving and changing and only in time and experience will we find the best ways to motivate and create a better experience within the jail.

Thank you for your criticism, it does actually help and push us to making a better faction, but please be patient and understanding that some of these things require proper foundation and staff to run correctly.

Edited by kestrelbirdman
  • Upvote 1