Why is LCN RP so stigmatized?

subway244
Message added by goddessoflife,

Hello, will your post on this discussion be one of the following stated below?

Trollish, ai generated text, random pictures and comments that do not contribute to the discussion.

Then please do not post. Are you going to post anyway? You'll be content moderated without any questions asked.

1 hour ago, subway244 said:

I'd go as far as to say the point of Los Santos replacing Los Angeles is actually intentional to allow concepts inaccurate to real life to appear ICly.

It's not. People have been asking for Yakuza organizations for years and are always shut down by Management precisely under the premise that there's no substantial Yakuza presence documented in real life LA. 

What if......people tried to RP Camorra and 'Ndrangheta instead for once? Not like they said "Italian" illegal rp is completely banned. With LCN itself though imo it should always be something like Masi Crew tried to portray, nothing more.

Edited by SpicyBandito
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, subway244 said:

I can find no logical reasoning for choosing San Andreas other than what I said originally

Because renaming the city to los angeles would entail much more work than you think. It'd require mods to change street and neighborhood names, it'd require mods to replace store names with real names, as opposed to just keeping San Andreas and portraying it similarly to LA.

6 hours ago, subway244 said:

was faction banned by Alexion for essentially the same disagreement you and I are having now, LCN portrayal. But then again, he came back after 2 years to coup MRC then purposefully let the faction die, against the wishes of the majority of Martorano alumni I've spoken to. He doesn't represent the entirety of Martorano.

I initially had zero interest in making any real response to this but here we are. As probably one of the only legitimate faction members from MCF still up and kicking here and there, it's great that you got to enjoy just a small portion of time within MCF but please stop making it seem as if your time had any impact or significance. You were quite literally within the faction for a week prior to its closing. MCF is gone, West Coast Contingent is gone, and both don't need to ever return as they have no place in the current climate or the future of this server, as IFM, multiple former members of the faction and I have stated time and time again.

LCN RP has always been stigmatized on GTAW and will continue to be stigmatized as long as people like you wish to ignore all reality and feedback given by veterans of this roleplay and instead continue to stubbornly RP an unrealistic caricature that does nobody any favors at all in the eyes of the LCN community and the GTAW illegal community as a whole. I personally find it to be normal for people to START out with a Sopranos-esque character, the same way a player may initially get their influence from American History X for their portrayal of a skin, or someone else being your stereotypical biker due to watching Sons of Anarchy. This is where good leadership and veterans of their respective concepts come in and help said person learn the real ins and out necessary to excel not only within their faction but also on the faction's thread, displaying high quality RP that can be admired and enjoyable to read.

From what I'm aware of, you were offered this feedback by not only Alexion, but a few others who tried to educate you because you have continued to pursue these far-fetched, romanticized, Vito Scaletta ass characters that were and still are not at all okay. You were given a fair shot after WCC leadership was warned about your prior antics in the hopes that it could be corrected as you showed genuine promise in the past but of course you fumbled it and instead were stubborn and argumentative after being approached due to the fact that you continued the Torelliception by creating and RPing as James Torelli, who of course was related to your character Vincent Torelli while having an ongoing CK appeal for ratting on the faction IC. Not to mention, your characters all look the same, act the same and dress the same with the same shitty 70-80s aesthetic that you seem to have an obsession for. Your subsequent response was to then play rat and try to weasel members away from the faction in hopes of starting your own thing since your poor portrayal was not going to be tolerated by anybody in leadership and you were subsequently blacklistedCTaENcw.png

I have zero interest in getting into a back and forth with you. All that is needed to be said has been said. Move on bro. You are the problem.

• Upvote 12
  • Applaud 1
11 hours ago, subway244 said:

I honestly have no idea why there's such a stigma against LCN RP these days from the illegal community. Italian mob RP has been around since forever, it's probably the oldest RP'd concept since the earliest days of GTA Roleplay. It's one of the only established roleplay subcommunities that has stayed relatively the same since as far back as the mid-to-late 2000s. There's a lot, and I mean A LOT of people who'd still realistically RP the Italian mob and WANT to, but can't because there's apparently some kind of hatred toward it, by what appears to be only a minority within the illegal scene.

The biggest argument I see from people is how "IRL, the mob's presence on the west coast is super small."

I'm not arguing that we should turn Los Santos into New York, but there's a reason we RP in a fictional city/universe as opposed to real life Los Angeles. The fictional boundaries of the location enable you to pursue concepts like LCN without 100% adhering to how Los Angeles is IRL. The whole fun of roleplay is escapism, and it's kind of a shift away from good storytelling and more a shift toward Eclipse-ism when OOC considerations come before IC creativity. It's undemocratic and frankly authoritarian, and all it's gonna do is lead to shit-tier RP and further sink the illegal scene into mediocrity.

I've been part of servers where what happens IC is policed to the extent where the boundary between In Character and Out Of Character is blurred. It gets to the point where it stops feeling like RP storytelling, and starts feeling like some overly-realistic MMORPG, and it's not fun. It's not what GTAW should be, when we're supposed to be an example to people who's only "RP" experience comes from Eclipse/FiveM.

I might sound like a cranky old man, but it's the truth. If people really don't like LCN so much, let them fight it out ICly. In the meantime, if ICly the entirety of New York decides to flock west to set up shop in Los Santos, it should be allowed to happen within the fictional timeline we portray.

We're supposed to be creating a simulated fictional city/storyline, not a simulated Los Angeles. Me and a lot of other people view GTAW as really nothing more than meticulously detailed, collaborative worldbuilding. Los Santos is ours to mold and shape, and that extends to the people who find it fun to portray La Cosa Nostra - which like I said, is a big demographic.

The same people who claim LCN is unrealistic should also point their fingers at Sinaloan narcotrafficking cells with cowboy hats and body armor, or Russian mobs portrayed like a bratva from Brighton Beach in the 90s. I love all three, and I think they should all be given an equal opportunity to exist ICly - but if only one gets banned on the grounds of "realism", the other two should be as well.

4.jpg

After reading the vast majority of replies on this thread, I'll have to tell you that you're mostly fighting a losing battle, and there's no point in trying to justify or explain to most of these people anything. If they're enjoying playing on a server where most players are either cops, supermodels with sports cars or aggressive gangbangers that are straight out of Boyz N the Hood then they're welcome to do so. The only thing anyone can do is vote with the only way that counts and makes an impact, by not playing.

Let's be honest here, most Mexican gangbangers are straight out of Blood in Blood out as well, so those who say that LCN as a concept doesn't belong here due to realism are hypocrites.

It's mostly people with huge egos and who keep crying about their "immersion being ruined" that need to take a good, hard look in the mirror and realize that no, no matter how they portray their badass character, they're still a bunch of kids from the suburbs of whatever country they're from and not a hardcore gangster from Compton. And that's okay. Has anyone else noticed how angry and defensive people get when you utter these magical words, "It's a game"? And you know why? Because they view an attack on their characters and what they portray as an attack against themselves OOCly.

Those who blame IFM, LFM and the management also need to realize that the server's management responds to the current trends and what the players themselves want. So the management shouldn't be blamed either, it's the community that is made up of average players. 

If the vast majority of the playerbase demands something and doesn't get it? They can immediately stop playing and watch that change coming into effect immediately. That's how things work and anyone who has been around roleplay communities for years can attest to this.

To give you some constructive feedback, there's not much stopping you from gathering some guys and portraying the concept you want, you just won't get a thread and the perks that come with being a recognized official faction. On the other hand, if you want the management of the server to allow LCN to make a major comeback, then the illegal community has to come together and demand that.

Edited by LoneRider
  • Upvote 4