A discussion regarding population

Anders

19 minutes ago, KaythPlus said:

Out of all of the arguments this is the most silly. So if there are 50-60 people on the server (which occasionally happens with rage-downtime, issues) the population is suddenly 50 people? The population fluxuates minute by minute and as people log out they're no longer part of it?

It's easier than determining which areas have more people living than in others, so criminals can put 28 stab wounds in you without getting in trouble.

I have been told so many different things about this. Some admins tell me to act like it's populated by the playerbase on the server, and others tell me to act like it's an actual city. Yet it's inconsistent. If it's populated by millions like an actual city, people wouldn't be driving 130mph+ on the roads, as there would be traffic. People wouldn't be robbing people in the wide open as there would be civilians who see it. Yet these things still happen, because those things aren't actually there. So which one is it?

1 hour ago, SpeedOfThought said:

I have been told so many different things about this. Some admins tell me to act like it's populated by the playerbase on the server, and others tell me to act like it's an actual city. Yet it's inconsistent. If it's populated by millions like an actual city, people wouldn't be driving 130mph+ on the roads, as there would be traffic. People wouldn't be robbing people in the wide open as there would be civilians who see it. Yet these things still happen, because those things aren't actually there. So which one is it?

Simplest answer: It’s both! 

It pretty much comes down to who you ask, and when you ask. It’s a matter of preference, and of convenience. But most of all it’s entirely subjective. Los Santos is a bustling metropolitan. People driving 130mph? Depending on the person driving is an inconvenience. You’re in a transitional phase and mostly non-interactive. (I say mostly because you could still be pulled over or get in a crash.) Most people have the patience and attention span of a three year old holding a tablet with no parental locks. The 130mph has nothing to do with the population of the city, but with passing that transitional phase as quickly as possible to get to the next roleplay point. 

Robbing people, no matter the context, is a hill of discussion you can have endless battles on. One look into the archives of history for our great realm that is GTA RP (aka 2007 to 2023) you’ll find that - nothing has changed! Apart from green zones and special areas of exclusion you’ll just have to rely on players witnessing crime. Yes it’s a bustling city, but not when you’re being robbed on Strawberry avenue. It’s not there to protect you it’s there for you as a background setting to feed your immersion. Immersion you have to feed with your own imagination, and own suspension of disbelief. 

So to summarize, the whole Los Santos metropolitan thing is there in the background for you to play with for your own. It’s as real as you make it for yourself. So it’s somewhere in between. It exists, and it doesn’t. 

i've been thinking about this later today without seeing the thread prior 

there are some hotspots who are populated and alive most of the time (Litttle Tokyo), but there's nothing to do imo, the city is too big comparing to GTASA LS

anyway, anyone came up with a solution for a real issue: population of countryside?