Would a different (separate) GTA: World "Light Text RP" server be beneficial?

Mistery14

Juice isn't worth the squeeze. And even after the squeeze it may be spoiled.

Let's look at the negative: costs of a new server, new staffing, management, development, potentially splitting the player base, and taking some focus from the main server. The return? At best: offloading a few problems. Likely reality? Wasted money and effort.

Let's focus our effort on what we have.

The draw of GTAW is a heavy text based RP server.

Edited by oliviarav3n
added a point
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Mecovy said:

No use in dividing the player base on two servers, there would be continuity issues, the staff resources are already stretched trying to administrate this server etc. It just wasn't considered viable, wasn't a popular idea so it was scrapped.

That's very reasonable. I think the drawbacks heavily outweigh the benefits, so my thread isn't really a "We should do this" but more of a "What if" to see what people think, but it's interesting that it's been an actual consideration before.

28 minutes ago, oliviarav3n said:

Juice isn't worth the squeeze. And even after the squeeze it may be spoiled.

Let's look at the negative: costs of a new server, new staffing, management, development, potentially splitting the player base, and taking some focus from the main server. The return? At best: offloading a few problems. Likely reality? Wasted money and effort.

Let's focus our effort on what we have.

The draw of GTAW is a heavy text based RP server.

Precisely this.

Here's the thing, if the circumstances were right? Hell yeah. I'd honestly think that having a Light RP server on top of a Heavy RP server would be great to have since new players could head over to the Light RP server to test the waters and learn the ropes of RP. But the truth is that I doubt it's doable for the reasons you stated and more. I just don't think that right now would be worthwhile to try it, too much risk for very little reward if at all.

But let's pretend we check all of the boxes (Enough staff, enough funding, enough players), is that something you'd like to see or do you still think it'd have too many negatives?

5 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

I wish they’d open up a TDM server, or simple movie server. 

That's actually a pretty good idea. I think it'd help people vent out their OOC frustrations like being able to take your faction and its members and make groups and just shoot one another on the TDM server.

1 minute ago, Giga said:

A "GTA World Playground" server, which is basically a secondary server for light roleplay, used to be a thing in 2019.

Oh I never knew that one. If it was an actual thing I wish it stayed, would've been nice. Something like a low effort server that doesn't require much maintenance/staffing to allow people to go a little overboard or do things they can't on the Heavy RP server.

42 minutes ago, Mistery14 said:

But let's pretend we check all of the boxes (Enough staff, enough funding, enough players), is that something you'd like to see or do you still think it'd have too many negatives?

Me personally? It's not something that I would pay attention to. I come here for the heavy RP.

In the hypothetical that you presented, with perfect conditions and absolutely no negatives to our current server operation / player base? Doesn't bother me. Just wouldn't use it.

I do appreciate your thinking outside the box though! 😃

• Thanks 1
  • Mistery14 changed the title to Would a different (separate) GTA: World "Light Text RP" server be beneficial?
  • Nervous locked this topic