Force vehicles unlocked if windows down / convertible / bicycles / motorcycles

Narco

Just to help with the convertible question as well, the RAGE.MP API has a method for Vehicle::getConvertibleRoofState which will return one of 4 states depending on the status of the vehicle roof:

States

• 0 - Up
  • 1 - Lowering Down
  • 2 - Down
  • 3 - Raising Up

We could implement an API call to this function for if a vehicle.type is a convertible to help with the potential issues mentioned above. Here is a link to the API documentation:

https://wiki.rage.mp/index.php?title=Vehicle::getConvertibleRoofState

Some pseduo code for the function:

let roofState =  mp.players.local.vehicle.getConvertibleRoofState();
    if(roofState === 0){
        // DON'T UNLOCK THE CAR, THE ROOF IS UP
    } else {
        // UNLOCK THE CAR, THE ROOF IS OPEN
    }

Edited by Illusory
  • Upvote 1

Honestly? I'd definitely like this to be a thing, if the following was added:

1. You can't just hop on a motorcycle and walk it away in most cases. People can hop on it freely, because it's not a car, but they can't just hotwire it and go right away. They'd have to break the steering lock first if it's placed. - To counter people /vp /vg when their steering is lock is broken, they'd have to go to a mechanic to get it fixed. A prompt could appear: "Your steering lock is broken, go to a mechanic to get it fixed." or something. Additionally, people could place a low/high quality lock on their bike that could either require bolt cutters or an angle grinder to remove the better locks. Most people won't bother with this and will most likely only use the steering lock. If someone doesn't do at least one of these, then it's on them if their bike is stolen easily.

2. Convertibles should only be unlock-able if it makes sense with the model as it is, if the roof is down, windows down, and it's just open top, then yeah. If not, then it's like a regular car and it requires a lockpick.

3. Bicycles should be allowed be be locked, but under specific circumstances like near a world object, like a pole, lamp post, fence, guard rail, anything that would be able to support a lock, and not just lock it in the middle of the road or something. That one might be tricky to add though.

4. Breaking windows does NOT make the car unlockable. People's windows break for all sorts of reason, OOC and IC, but it'd be just way, way too easy to get in cars that way. It doesn't always have to be about true-to-life realism. Imagine if someone just went up to your car in-game and ""accidentally"" punched the window out, went in and /vtitems while you were away, no RP, nothing. Who's even going to be there to report it? However! If you did /vwindows and left them opened? Oh boy. Then the blame is all on you and your car can be unlocked.

Edited by Mistery14
  • Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Mistery14 said:

Convertibles should only be unlock-able if it makes sense with the model as it is, if the roof is down, windows down, and it's just open top, then yeah. If not, then it's like a regular car and it requires a lockpick.

Most convertibles, this would still set off the alarm, as the door was unlocked via an inside lock and not the key. 

This would need to be the same on the server, where alarms ar present

• Upvote 2

I'll say no to this, there's just already too much play to win car stealing mentality. Even if it restricts those very few who put proper care in their car stealing RP, I don't want to have my car stolen every hour because it's hard to tell if a window is open or closed and I don't want to spend 3 minutes every single time I park to see if it's open or closed. 

2 hours ago, HappyPancake said:

I'll say no to this, there's just already too much play to win car stealing mentality. Even if it restricts those very few who put proper care in their car stealing RP, I don't want to have my car stolen every hour because it's hard to tell if a window is open or closed and I don't want to spend 3 minutes every single time I park to see if it's open or closed. 

Just don't open your windows then. The only reason you would have to spend 3 minutes every time you park to check your windows, is if you open your car windows every time you drive. Just keep them closed if you don't want to deal with it. This advice goes for real life as well.

And honestly, as a legal civilian RP'er, I don't really notice that much of a big play-to-win car stealing mentality. I don't want to be the "It doesn't happen to me, so it must not happen" person, because some people do experience it more. But as a reference... My character drives a Yosemite Rancher, a fairly pricey car script-wise. I almost never /vp it. I always leave it parked in my character's driveway or out on the sidewalk even when I'm logging out. I do this intentionally to give players who roleplay car thieves a chance to steal it. But here's the thing, it almost never happens. In the almost 1 year now of owning the car and having close to 3000 miles on it, it's been stolen maybe at most 3-4 times across months.

It doesn't happen very often in my case. Even back last year when my character lived in Vespucci, my car wasn't stolen very often either. The car stealing rates on the server really doesn't seem that bad, but maybe that's just me getting lucky. Obviously yes, this suggestion will increase car jackings by a little bit, because it'll make some vehicles easier to steal if their windows are down.

Edited by ScarletRose
  • Upvote 2
21 hours ago, Illusory said:

Just to help with the convertible question as well, the RAGE.MP API has a method for Vehicle::getConvertibleRoofState which will return one of 4 states depending on the status of the vehicle roof:

States

• 0 - Up
  • 1 - Lowering Down
  • 2 - Down
  • 3 - Raising Up

We could implement an API call to this function for if a vehicle.type is a convertible to help with the potential issues mentioned above. Here is a link to the API documentation:

https://wiki.rage.mp/index.php?title=Vehicle::getConvertibleRoofState

Some pseduo code for the function:

let roofState =  mp.players.local.vehicle.getConvertibleRoofState();
    if(roofState === 0){
        // DON'T UNLOCK THE CAR, THE ROOF IS UP
    } else {
        // UNLOCK THE CAR, THE ROOF IS OPEN
    }

This is awesome! Thank you for this input.

5 hours ago, ScarletRose said:

Just don't open your windows then. The only reason you would have to spend 3 minutes every time you park to check your windows, is if you open your car windows every time you drive. Just keep them closed if you don't want to deal with it. This advice goes for real life as well.

And honestly, as a legal civilian RP'er, I don't really notice that much of a big play-to-win car stealing mentality. I don't want to be the "It doesn't happen to me, so it must not happen" person, because some people do experience it more. But as a reference... My character drives a Yosemite Rancher, a fairly pricey car script-wise. I almost never /vp it. I always leave it parked in my character's driveway or out on the sidewalk even when I'm logging out. I do this intentionally to give players who roleplay car thieves a chance to steal it. But here's the thing, it almost never happens. In the almost 1 year now of owning the car and having close to 3000 miles on it, it's been stolen maybe at most 3-4 times across months.

It doesn't happen very often in my case. Even back last year when my character lived in Vespucci, my car wasn't stolen very often either. The car stealing rates on the server really doesn't seem that bad, but maybe that's just me getting lucky. Obviously yes, this suggestion will increase car jackings by a little bit, because it'll make some vehicles easier to steal if their windows are down.

People go for specific targets. I have a Bravado Gresley Hellhound and people even camped the property garage just to steal it. I can't park it anywhere but legion square because it gets robbed in matter of seconds.

8 hours ago, Xaleya said:

People go for specific targets. I have a Bravado Gresley Hellhound and people even camped the property garage just to steal it. I can't park it anywhere but legion square because it gets robbed in matter of seconds.

Felon GT too, for some reason.

Edited by varthshenon
no mg!
15 hours ago, ScarletRose said:

Well it does happen, much like robberies, sometimes they happen a lot and sometimes not. I am one of those sad players, that drive muscle cars, namely Buffalo Hellhound and Gauntlet Hellfire. Luck of the draw, both cars were stolen once in a single night with say 2-3 hours difference. Due to server limitations, you can only do this much with a stolen car, chop it, take it for a joyride or just take what's inside if anything. I personally don't boost cars much on my criminal character. I usually just break-in and emulate finding something of value like a tablet or forgotten cash or something like that if the car's empty, said money then go from my char's account cause honestly we are pretty limited here.

But regardless, for once I do not think it would cause players to go on a car boosting spree. Simply because only thing you can do with a stolen car, is to chop it.

For that, you need a mechanic and some time spent roleplaying plus ofc said car has to be on daily list.

In addition, numerous convertibles have the roof as an extra, which would have to be taken into account for this to work properly. (Stallion, Peyote, Buccaneer Custom just to name a few.)

Also unrelated, but "/vw all" would be great.

Edited by lil woadie woe
  • Upvote 1