Garages: Make upgrades IC through legal suppliers and car chopping

mj2002

11 minutes ago, Iced Bandit said:

I'm just trying to understand, why mechanical RP isn't being taken seriously here not here to pick any fights.

Because the script has made it that way by mechanics getting paid per job. Change the way mechanics get paid to the $4,000 per hour with a low minimum amount of jobs per hour to enforce activity. See how quickly all the money hunting people just fade away. I agree that mechanic RP needs a change, I just don't agree to the point that you're suggesting. We're on the same side here, I just see it from a different perspective. All the serious jobs on this server don't get paid per job, they get paid for their time on the job. Let's advocate to change that, so there can be more focus on RP (even if accelerated), rather than focusing on how many jobs they can get done per hour to make more money. I guarantee you'd see a change almost right away.

Edited by Cypher99
1 hour ago, joaoivis said:

On top of Cypher's comment, why don't we just make the mechanic job a 4k per hour but also make available for players to mod their own cars and also have NPC shops available when no shop is active. Just my two cents.

People suggested this before, it was denied. What's stopping people from just waiting until garages close cause they're not getting customers? Everyone would be waiting to just NPC mod their cars at a closed garage.

3 hours ago, Rhelli said:

People suggested this before, it was denied. What's stopping people from just waiting until garages close cause they're not getting customers? Everyone would be waiting to just NPC mod their cars at a closed garage.

Most of the suggestions regarding NPC garages in the past do also suggest that NPC garages costs more than player-run garages. Which is fair imo. You can either pay 5k to install a bumper at a player garage, or you can pay 10k to do it at an NPC shop. If it was like this, it would be fair. Plenty of people would still visit player garages just to not pay double for their modifications.

And in my opinion, it should be this way. It makes sense. Garages are the only customization shop in the server that requires a player-run business to use. Like right now, if you want to buy alcohol, you can visit an NPC liquor store. Want some smokes? Go to an NPC tabacco store. You want to buy an sports car? Go to the NPC dealership. You want to change your character's face? visit an NPC plastic surgeon. New clothes/hair? Visit the NPC store for that. Want to buy a shotgun after getting that fancy PF? Go to that NPC gun store. Did you just crash into a wall at 130 MPH with no paramedics online? NPC the ambulance and go to the NPC hospital, etc. 

But if you want to install a simple GPS on your car or change up the tires, you can't just go buy them at an NPC shop. You have to wait for a garage to open and race against the 10 other customers to get there first before they run out of components. I will never understand why garages specifically are like this when almost every other customization business on the server are NPC'ed.

Honestly tho, no matter what we suggest, NPC garages are never happening. Because the server is against any and all suggestions that remove RP from the players. And that's just the reality of it. If a suggestion removes RP, it is almost always denied no matter how much sense it makes.

I think adding too much depth when the upgrades themselves aren't diverse would be bad. Add on that people do actually want to see what their stuff will look like on the menu... Idk how that convenience is forgotten. It is better to actually see what it will look like in game than trying to look at a video on youtube. 

I don't mind there being an illegal market for upgrades so that people can get them but it shouldn't be broken down into a ridiculous amount of stuff that will just make a lot of it worthless. The simpler solution is to make catch-all categories for all vehicle types. Exhausts, spoilers, etc.  Having "2000" different unique names isn't going to do anything for anyone. Just let people roleplay the specifics and that'd fix that. 

I don't really care about the arrest aspect. I care about convenience of being able to actually see what the mod will look like with what's currently on the car because it's a video game and I'm limited by the game engine enough already in what can be done. Definitely don't need that aspect to be made worse by limiting it further. Esp when you take into account that the mod cars aren't as easy to look up for what can be changed on them as vanilla cars. Pricing should depend more on the car types. It sucks having to spend the same on a cheap car as an expensive one and the lack of the illegal market or second hand parts makes it impossible to really do any flipping unless you're just buying low, changing nothing, selling high. There's no fix er up roleplay that is possible because there's no way to lower your investment to where it is viable. 

I will also say that years ago when ya'll went and made the mechanic system require donator to show a blip that hurt mechanics as well.  So that too would actually encourage opening them more. The donator system is awful. Not account wide. Does not apply to employees opening your businesses. Its inconvenient as hell and always has been. That made me drop being a mechanic entirely back then when I took all that into account. When that feature quality isn't good and it's made worse it don't encourage donations. Go figure, a lot of garages died off in activity overtime after that period when before it was very competitive. 

Edited by Momo's Revenge
On 2/17/2022 at 10:01 PM, Cypher99 said:

Thirteen ran his own specific / niche garage for a while and I imagine that they did not receive the amount of customers a normal garage would. @Thirteen please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Not gonna lie, we were also terrible at promoting the place and script limitations at the time probably didn't help either.

It was still a nice addition to roleplay. @Thirteen What bugs me though, is why people wanna stay around when mechanics work. Last time I serviced my car irl. I pretty much left it there for few hours and went on shopping. I'd do that here too. If garages weren't always placed off the path.

Edited by Engelbert