Official standing about IC population portrayal - Thoughts?

HeyMambo

3 hours ago, Martyn said:

I can get behind the whole "ignoring time" thing because it's a dick move to restrict people from roleplaying their characters the way they want simply because they live in a different part of the world. But not taking into account where it happens, the location? That's just wrong on so many different levels. If that doesn't matter anymore, you can no longer roleplay this city in a realistic setting anymore either as you completely take away the whole "Realistically the city would be populated thing". The implications for so many other things would be extreme and Los Santos will be Chernobyl with only a maximum of 1000 civilians being out and about at any given time. (If that). This would be the worst decision ever in my personal opinion.

+1

1 hour ago, EffPee said:

The average civilian who is scared at the sight of a criminal is not going to shoot someone, murder them in the street, call the cops and get away with it.

Those sorts of people would've moved away from Los Santos years ago. Wouldn't be realistic to encounter someone like that in a city with this sort of death and crime rate.

Can't have it both ways. Either Los Santos is the wild west or it's not.

• Upvote 2
35 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

Those sorts of people would've moved away from Los Santos years ago. Wouldn't be realistic to encounter someone like that in a city with this sort of death and crime rate.

This tends to be ignored very often, with how much of a shithole LS really is the average person should either be desensitized  to violence, crime etc. or a sociopath. No matter what your character is they'll most likely see a dead body here and there, hear gunshots going off, get robbed, have a gun pointed at them on a weekly (or monthly if you afk in your house all day) basis.

I would expect the average reaction to a robbery be 'again? *sigh*' instead of the expected by everyone ''OH MY GOD A GUN PLEASE DONT MURDER ME AAAAAHHHH TAKE MY MONEY DADDY WAAAAAH''

Edited by Shiro
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Smilesville said:

👏 Oh I'm being robbed? Just another day in Los Santos. You tend to not have the same reaction after seeing so much of it in one place. This should also be taken into account with portrayal and people reacting a certain way IC. My character gets robbed multiple times and sees this stuff on a daily basis, I'm not going to react the same as I did when I first came to LS. Expecting me to RP fear the same way after all that time is unrealistic, to say the least.

Edited by Numelo
29 minutes ago, Numelo said:

Expecting me to RP fear the same way after all that time is unrealistic, to say the least.

Good luck arguing that in a forum report, though - ergo my earlier remark questioning whether this is a standard we're applying evenly, because there are many others that we do not. Strange that civilian players are expected to have a mental breakdown every time a gun is pointed at them - and yet robbers need not consider the location they choose to rob someone, much less fear imprisonment (see also: we need longer jail times.)

And then there's wailing and dogged pursuit by staff at the mere perception of vigilantism. If robbers shouldn't have to worry about pedestrians because the server streets are a ghost town, I shouldn't have to worry about plugging him and going about my day - because the server streets are a ghost town, nobody is going to see me anyways, and nobody is going to mourn a dead hood rat who got plugged for a poorly planned robbery (not the sorts of people who would remain in Los Santos when it has many times the death rate of Tijuana.)

It really must be nice to have an entire section of the staff team dedicated to removing barriers to one particular type of roleplay.

Edited by Smilesville
  • Upvote 1

Looking forward to the incoming rash of crimegrinder complaints about civilian roleplay now moving exclusively to interior locations and gatherings away from anywhere that crime can occur undetected. If the city is the playground where criminals get to bend reality to their benefit, they can enjoy that playground alone.

51 minutes ago, Numelo said:

Oh I'm being robbed? Just another day in Los Santos.

Almost regular every time I get online, to the point that when approached by a stranger at the beach, my character had already started rummaging for her wallet and phone to hand over. Turned out he just wanted to sell some weed.

1 hour ago, Shiro said:

with how much of a shithole LS really is...

Our one city, specifically our city with a population of one thousand (being generous), has five times the murder rate of the entire real world country of Colombia, and that's just counting CK's. I imagine that if we factored in the violent crimes that result in PK's, it would be much, much worse...

It absolutely will get worse now that crimegrinders can freely attack anyone anywhere within 98% of the island (and surrounding waters).

• Upvote 1

Time shouldn't matter because of timezones. Location should always matter though because there are some places it makes sense for a robbery to occur and then there are places where it makes no sense for a robbery to occur at all. The general idea here is that we should not be roleplaying anything other than being a major metropolitan city. Anything outside of that is ridiculous. Whether it be a clearer notice from the administration or people increasing their suspension of disbelief, we really should not be roleplaying that we live in a giant city with only 800 people populating it at any given time. 

The crime rate itself is probably the one thing that people should think about because your perception of crime typically is based on your experiences versus what is actually going on. Just like in real life, you only really know how crime ridden an area is if you either A. Experience it or B. Hear about it through the news media/reports. There are a lot of deaths that people have no idea occurs so pulling random numeral statistics without proof is just hearsay. 

From the POV of an LEO rper, crime happens a lot but it's also in bursts and this is just crime that is reported. Sometimes for hours upon hours, there's barely any actual heinous crimes occurring at all. Really just depends on who hang out with, where you live and what you're doing in my opinion. I think a lot of people also personally make themselves very easy targets to get robbed and then complain about it. Since 2018, I've been robbed maybe twice and both times were my bad. This is from playing as an LEO, Civ and a crime connected character at that. 

I will say though as someone who DOES live in a major city in the US. Strange and weird shit if you live in a place long enough becomes the norm and you kinda just ignore it or get used to it. Admin rulings against people who would genuinely be desensitized to a lot of occurrences is strange to me but I'd likely argue that some people likely have a poor portrayal of it. 

• Bospy locked this topic