Grand Theft Auto IV

tomatoz

Loved the ragdoll effects a little too much. I used to spend hours just jumping out of vehicles at different heights and different speeds to get the most creative death lmao.

When I play through it now. Dog shit game. I can't stand the driving and not a big fan of the shooting really. It always comes to a surprise they released that, then the next one being V with the easiest handling and shooting going.

16 minutes ago, Callum said:

Loved the ragdoll effects a little too much. I used to spend hours just jumping out of vehicles at different heights and different speeds to get the most creative death lmao.

When I play through it now. Dog shit game. I can't stand the driving and not a big fan of the shooting really. It always comes to a surprise they released that, then the next one being V with the easiest handling and shooting going.

IV was probably the best for realism in my opinion. GTA V is too clean in a sense of driving and shooting, there's no skill to it. GTA IV you had to pay attention to your speed, braking and all that. Shooting had more kick back so you'd have to be a better shooter. Compared to GTA V I think GTA IV had a better feel to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Good game. I remember when I was at my internship, me and the dude I got assigned to drove to a store(Worten for you PT and Spaniards) to fix some hardware and install a Xerox printer. I specifically recall buying GTA IV Episodes from Liberty City for 10 Euros like..8 years ago (?) to test the POS system. Still got the game laying around here. I also recall when GTA IV came out, PC version was 14GB of size, back when most games didn't go over 4GB, felt like the end of the world back in 2008-2009. Unfortunately my PC at the time was too weak to run GTA IV, I still had a Pentium 4...

GTA IV was also the first game I got for my pirated XBOX 360..so many years ago. I got fond memories of this game, felt way more realistic and "skill" based than GTA V, plus I prefer the gritty dirty look of Liberty City.

Edited by nelsondx
Typo
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I love IV and V as separate entities that focus on different features. V feels like a series of hiest movies with the story, and that mission set up carries over to the online. Huge range of vehicles, guns, large map with little filler. 

IV just hits different, focuses on the oppressive atmosphere and story, and the concept art design and overall "feel" enforce this. 

While I dabble between the driving mechanics of each, I do like the more weighty feel of the IV engine's handling. And even without the abundant traffic AI, Liberty City would still feel like a huge-yet-interwoven claustrophobic concrete jungle (brb gonna go emulate the Predator game of the same name...) 

I would have loved to have the consequences of the IV mechanics in GTAW; I'm not THE best driver but I usually always tilt my camera at junctions to simulate checking for oncoming traffic. Seem my share of collisions of players driving sports and muscles at 120ish/+ and them the vehicles spinning in the air like a star collect animation from a 3D Super Mario game. 

The emphasis on the lower acceleration and build to top speed, combined with the longer braking physics based on your speed give more of a "only so many close calls exist" to anyone driving on the map, be it taxi driver, underground racer or a civ going to the beach etc etc. 

That being said, I take V for what it is and it IS stills great piece of sand box fun time tech. With the Arcady handling of the vehicles in V's engine over IV, it's down to us RPers to simulate our character's driving skills and the real-life physics of those vehicles. Still, IV just, broken record here.... "feels" good.