Grand Theft Auto IV

tomatoz

I was thinking about making a topic for GTA IV recently, happy to see you've made one. I've just recently started playing it on PC having last played it on console back in maybe 2014? Heavy nostalgia, the port is awful though and performance is painful. Persevering for the sake of the nostalgia, though.

• Upvote 1

Most underrated GTA in my opinion and it would have been otherwise if social media was as big back then as it is today.

A lot of people overlook fact that this was the transitional game from 3D to HD universe and it was epic from top to bottom. 

The game mostly had this grey theme & color scale, very fitting to the soundtrack and the storyline of a foreign immigrant hitting all of those bumps enroute to finding the "American Dream". Darkest and most mature storyline, which makes it the best one in my eyes. And the shit ton of features & attention to detail arguably better than GTA 5, this game was groundbreaking at the time. 

• Upvote 2

Easily my favourite GTA game. Honestly every time I hear people say its bad I just assume they played it, didn't like the driving or the more subdued humour and subtext - and never gave it another shot. When you go back and play it, its a genuine masterpiece. Never have I felt more engrossed in a game world (GTA 5 doesn't even come close). Getting off the subway in Broker in the middle of the night, walking through the run down slums of Bohan, mingling in the crowds of Star Junction. All of it felt so unbelievably authentic. Sure you didn't have the same access to wacky fun game mechanics as other GTA games, but this gave it such a grounded feeling. When you had a pistol in your hand you felt the weight of it. 

gta4_1
gta4_2