[Guide] Extortion

SiMo

27 minutes ago, Cypher said:

First of all, if true non-fear RP is shown to the point that it's breaking rules, it's an offense you report. Second, you're justifying extortion because you OOC'ly know that the business owners are good for it? Laughable. Sounds like play to win to me. You're just as misguided.

Keep in mind that you're in the guides section, and you're de-railing the topic with your passive agressive comments. Take a deep breath and remember that it's only a game.

This guide is the whole reasoning the server has shitty extortion RP, cause there's zero respect for what some roleplayers build through legal roleplay just because you're an illegal character, and aiming for a CK? I think you should take a look at the last CK that happened due to extortion, where Nervous reverted it. Keep in mind, if you drive away all the legal RP'ers you're gonna end up with a cops and robbers server. And by the looks of your 'if you have any cash and a fancy car and isn't doing anything illegal ur unrealistic.' it sounds like thats your standard of roleplay.

Since we're all about CKing people for basically no reason. How about an automatic CK for the extorter if it doesn't work out either? We're running under the assumption that these people would be terrifying to confront IC when in reality uh.. No. The real problem is that when you go to prison for extorting someone in such an obvious way you get out the next day. Maybe we should lengthen that time instead?

32 minutes ago, Sush said:

Since we're all about CKing people for basically no reason. How about an automatic CK for the extorter if it doesn't work out either? We're running under the assumption that these people would be terrifying to confront IC when in reality uh.. No. The real problem is that when you go to prison for extorting someone in such an obvious way you get out the next day. Maybe we should lengthen that time instead?

It's also hard to justify calling the cops as a way to get out of it, which this guide suggests. Extortion cases are hardly ever prosecuted. Go do a search on the word "extortion" in the Judiciary section of the forums. You will find exactly 3 cases that even mention the word extortion. At some point, this becomes an OOC issue when legal business owners have no safe recourse to the situation. Jail times, amount of effort involved for police/detectives, not wanting to take down factions. Whatever the reason, its no wonder we have extortion that's run rampant. It's either submit to the extortion or eventually find yourself in a CK situation? Crazy world we live in.

Edited by Cypher
  • Applaud 1
29 minutes ago, Cypher said:

It's also hard to justify calling the cops as a way to get out of it, which this guide suggests. Extortion cases are hardly ever prosecuted. Go do a search on the word "extortion" in the Judiciary section of the forums. You will find exactly 3 cases that even mention the word extortion. At some point, this becomes an OOC issue when legal business owners have no safe recourse to the situation. Jail times, amount of effort involved for police/detectives, not wanting to take down factions. Whatever the reason, its no wonder we have extortion that's run rampant. It's either submit to the extortion or eventually find yourself in a CK situation? Crazy world we live in.

That's what I'm getting at. It's unfair for the person who runs the business as it's been boiled down to the 'Rob an LTD Employee' minigame from GTA:Online where they treat business owners as a script job to farm money. 

10 minutes ago, Sush said:

That's what I'm getting at. It's unfair for the person who runs the business as it's been boiled down to the 'Rob an LTD Employee' minigame from GTA:Online where they treat business owners as a script job to farm money. 

This is where it would be nice if IFM stepped in with some official guidelines.

@Ink No one could say it better!

Especially about extortion RP being toxic:

Last time I was extorted couple months ago I did everything I can. Informed police, informed security contractors, which I already had about what happened, told everyone I knew about it (Including Halford who was mayor at the time, Hoffman as district representative) and many influential business people and shared that the business is being targeted on social media. (Publicity is often used by journalists who are being targeted by mobsters to avoid being killed)

The group that was extorting me, although they were filmed on CCTV slamming my character against the wall and police had the evidence still continued to vandalise and send threats to my character. Although I roleplayed fear and did everything I can to fullest extent to roleplay it properly without bending a knee, It got to the point where when ever I log in I would be busy roleplaying my response to various threats and vandalisms at my business. This left no time whatsoever to run the business, organise IC events or generate other roleplay (I am the type of person who likes chill, immersive, casual roleplay over shootouts and other intense drama). Eventually I got sick and tired of it, roleplayed my character getting exhausted and left the state (stopped playing for over a month) and only came back when I found out the faction closed.

Also, a lot of people say "Why not just pay? You make 20k per opening anyway". The truth is many businesses that roleplay properly hire staff and spend their profits to generate more roleplay (often by hiring more people to generate that roleplay: security, bartenders, marketers, marketing campaigns, special events, etc). After all those expenses they can be left with 10-20k profit per week, when you take out personal expenses (especially if someone is roleplaying rich and using personal security contractors to go places) barely anything is left.

Also, any legal person with common sense would understand that affiliating with criminal organisation in anyway or getting into some payment schemes with them will only lead to bad things in the future, payments increase, special demands increase and over-time the extorters may get more leverage to abuse the business). 

@Mahiko good points too 👍

• Jax locked this topic