[Guide] Extortion

SiMo

Extortion Guide

What is Extortion?

Organized Crime

1. Introduction

Extortion is a common way for organized crime organizations to gain easy money from various businesses/offers that operate in certain area. Organized crime organizations establish their rule on a certain territory/turf based on their power, numbers, money etc. It does not necessarily mean that the organization will extort each and every business on their territory or that they will perform such actions at all. It all depends on the organization itself.

2. Approach

• Preparation for approach is one of the most important things for an organization. It is important that the organization gets as much information as possible. First step should be scouting the place out, it’s location, it’s surroundings, possible backdoors, exit points and such, it is also important for an organization to make sure that the business they are aiming for is actually on their territory/turf.

• First approach is usually done in casual way that does not give out a bad vibe about one’s personality or one’s goals. First approach depends on the type of the business. If it is a bar or a club, one should pose as a guest/customer. Order a drink, spend some time in the bar/club, scout it’s interior, see what kind of customers come by, is there any security, CCTV cameras and such. If the business is a car dealership, one can come and examine the offer, ask a few questions about vehicles, maybe even buy one. Same goes for other businesses.

• Interaction comes next. It is important that one gets information on who owns the property or manages it. One could simply talk to the waiter/waitress, start with a simple conversation and then ask who is the owner of the place. One could also talk to the security to find that out. Your aim is to find out owner’s name and phone number. It is VERY IMPORTANT to try and find out if the owner is connected to any criminal organization himself, or if he/she is having good relationship with Police Department/Sheriff Department. Any additional information such as owner’s vehicles, address, family is valuable.

• Presence is one thing that goes throughout the entire process of extortion. Organization must show it’s power by keeping their presence in certain area. That can be shown by simply spending time at various businesses. Buying something in the businesses, using their services and such. It can also be good to show presence with numbers.

20210108_002858.jpg

3. Start

• Once the organization gains all the necessary information from above, they can make first step in contacting the owner/manager of the business and actually starting extorting/taxing it. It is highly recommended that first contact is done when the business is not operating actively. You can not make this step if there is witnesses around, such as security, customers, guests, CCTV cameras and such. It is recommended that you try and speak with the owner/manager privately. Location where the conversation will take place is not important as long as it’s done privately. It can be owner’s office, your office, secluded booth, excluded area…
  • Appearance here is very important. It is important who is making this conversation. This means how one looks like, how one talks, how one behaves in general. Organization should not send a child/teenager/adolescent to make such a conversation. One should show off as a very official and professional. 

• Two types of extortion is usually what organization is aiming for. One type is when the organization provides security for the business against any possible threats such as gangs, motorcycle clubs, different criminal organizations and such. The second type is when the business is simply paying for “peace” from that certain organization. In the second type the organization simply collects the money and does not pay any attention to the business afterwards.

• Conversation is very important. If one is professional then he/she can go straight to point. If all previous steps were done correctly, especially one about presence, it should go smooth.

• Asking for money depends on organization’s discretion. Depending on the business type, organization might ask from $1,000 to $25,000+ money per week (it can be done per month as well). A goal here is not to ask for a lot of money but to ask for a stable income. Keep in mind, if the owner does not profit, neither do you. (it is advised that organization keeps tabs on who pays and who does not) Organization should make sure that they collect on time, owners will not be happy if their debts accumulate due to organization’s inactivity. If an owner is not paying up to date, give him time before starting with threats & other activities.

• Keeping an eye on the owner that is paying is very important. You do not want an owner to go to the police or to seek help from any other criminal organization. If he does so, feel free to act upon it at your own discretion. Presence, as always, is important.

1245riw.png

4. Denial

• If an owner denies the offer, one should not act upon and should simply leave the meeting. Presence should be kept up throughout entire process after denial as well.
  • Sending a “message” is what an organization should do here. Organization should not go for damaging business immediately. Business does not operate > owner does not profit > no money for organization. First “message” should not be harsh. Sending off a threatening text message via new phone/calling with new phone number and sending threats is usually something one should begin with. If that does not work out then breaking a window, scratching owner’s car, painting the business or something of that sort should be next step. It is important that, after each step, you contact owner and give him another chance to pay.

• Owner is still not paying, worse actions should be made. Those involve shooting the business’ windows to send message. Burning a container outside the business/owner’s house. Sending threats to owner’s family/friends. Making bar fights. Scratching dealership vehicles and making them unsellable. Burning owner’s vehicle is also efficient. Keep in mind, you do not want to destroy the business yet.

• Crucial step is made if all of these steps did not work. This one includes burning down whole business/owner’s house. Can also be done with kidnapping an owner or a member of his/her family. Keep in mind that, burning a business down, may result in business being closed for decent amount of time, therefore, not making any profit.

• Last step is a final one, done if nothing above works. That is killing an owner or part of his/her family. This concludes the process of extortion that went wrong.

• Devices are useful in extortion as well, using trackers, bugs and such can give you advantage.

FIERY DAY: Chubbuck firefighters battle blazes that destroy bar, house |  Local | idahostatejournal.com

(( OUT OF CHARACTER ))

It is highly recommended to take screenshots/videos of each process of extortion from beginning. If the extortion goes bad for you, always AIM FOR CHARACTER KILL. Unfortunately, there are those who would simply deny your extortion request and try to force you to Player Kill in order to avoid extortion for next month or two. If you PK an owner, he/she will be opening the business afterwards but you will not be able to start the process all over again. For Character Kill you will need evidence of how you acted upon owner’s denial of your requests. Character Kills are usually approved if the evidence is firm, so be patient and always go for one.

Owner's Perspective

1. Introduction

As an owner, you can not always know if you are starting a business at someone’s territory/turf. You can always gather information about that prior to opening the business. However, in this guide we cover the process of extortion.

2. Security

• Security is an upmost necessity for business owner. Your goal here is to avoid criminal organization from even approaching you. Therefore, setting up CCTV cameras, alarm system and even hiring the security should do the trick.

3. Affiliation

• Affiliating yourself with different criminal organization could also be beneficial. However, keep in mind that it could cause disturbances and possible war over a few thousands per week. Different type of affiliation is affiliating yourself with Police Department/Sheriff’s Department. To “lure” them you can make discounts just for deputies/officers so they keep presence around. If you’re suspicious of being under surveillance by criminal organization, make them see you with officers/deputies as much as possible, even go to LSPD/Sheriff’s Department events.

4. Avoiding

• Avoiding meetings that seem suspicious to you is not actually good tactic, eventually the extorters will contact you or will jump immediately to threats and signs of violence. You want to void that, so, in case, a meeting is scheduled, pick a public place and bring security with yourself. With that tactic you put extorter into a position in which he can not even clarify his/her demands.

5. Extortion

• If extortion really happens and you are unprepared, start paying the “tax/community service”, buy yourself time. Calculate whether it is profitable to keep the business up even with paying extorters or not. At the end, making so much hassle because of ten grand a week is just not worth it. If you decide to get rid of extorters you can either hire different criminal organization or go to Police Department/Sheriff’s Department. Keep in mind, no-one can protect you 24/7 and the extorters will certainly find your weak spot. At the end, your business is stationary, you can not protect it from being broken to, burglarized or even burnt to ground. Having your business closed for 2 weeks for renovation will cost you much more than paying weekly taxes. If you decide to go to different group, they will not help you for free and risk their men and resources. Finally, it is nothing but calculation.

Bouncers Doormen Nightclub and Bar Security Expert Chris E. McGoey

((OUT OF CHARACTER))

Portray this realistically, if you own a club, dealership, store, bar or such, you probably have enough money to pay the taxes. If you drive expensive vehicles, have expensive suits, it means you have money ICly and that is how people will portray you. “Playing a tough guy” with over $500,000 in bank and without being a part of any criminal organization is simply not totally realistic. Paying an extorter does not mean you’re losing reputation. At the end, you will boost your reputation OOCly in the illegal factions’ world if you roleplay this nicely.

• Upvote 10
  • Applaud 1

Not a big fan of the guide, specially because it looks like you are kind of lecturing business owners in the following way:

"You don't accept extortion, you will get CK'ed. You don't accept extortion you are not RPing well. You accept extortion you are a very good roleplayer and everyone will love you. So give us assets in game to be a good player and RPer!"

I will add my grain of sand to this, as a recommendation for the Owner's Perspective: Remember that if you feel that the ones deciding to extort you are portraying said extortion in a bad way you can make a report, and that if they go for a CK and fail you have the right to CK them in response, maybe getting in contact with an illegal organization. Extortion should come with its risk for the illegal part too, and it does, let's not forget about it.

No trouble intended, just my honest personal view on what I've read.

Edited by Kappaurel
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

meh. extortion is stupid and doesnt really happen irl. its a subpar way for people to get a quick buck. i wouldnt personally give into it. I have insurance if my car/business is burned. my only character with a business has no living family members or real friends either so, gl with that lol.

its an okay guide though. bugs me how you portray it as "u gotta give in or youre shit at roleplay"

Edited by celestialrage
  • Upvote 1

I think you're missing one of the most important points: extortion should have a legal front. It shouldn't just be "Hey, I'm in an organized crime group and you're in my area" it needs to have a legal front to launder the income and act as a cover up should the business owner make law enforcement aware. 

Most recently, I witnessed a group tell an owner of a business they were the "peacekeepers" of the area. This made no sense whatsoever, there was no pretext, nothing. For all the business owner knew, they were a bunch of random punks. There's no installing fear via this method and it's plain stupid.

I am however in agreement that extortion is fine. It just needs to be applied much, much better. 

Edited by Alexion
  • Upvote 2

There's multiple ways of avoiding extortion. Through out my time in this server no mob messed with ayn of my businesses (idk why tbh) however some have tried and it surely went south for them. I'd put for owner's perspective to never make yourself available, always have some replacement. And if he's threatened get a not one, but two groups against the other. If the mob is to big and they're fucking really hard with your business. Now you can go past the limits and if you have a very good business that gives a good income, then I'm sure you can find ways to retaliate effectively. And the best part is you don't need a whole army to get rid of mobsters, just a couple of men that plan accordingly and are given the necessary equipment to grab the boss.

Edited by Chuck Lee
1 hour ago, Kappaurel said:

Not a big fan of the guide, specially because it looks like you are kind of lecturing business owners in the following way:

"You don't accept extortion, you will get CK'ed. You don't accept extortion you are not RPing well. You accept extortion you are a very good roleplayer and everyone will love you. So give us assets in game to be a good player and RPer!"

regardless what was said in the guide needed to be said tbh. unfortunately a vast ammount of business owners who refuse extortion (even when its roleplayed well) usually do so in a very subpar manner.

4 hours ago, Kappaurel said:

I will add my grain of sand to this, as a recommendation for the Owner's Perspective: Remember that if you feel that the ones deciding to extort you are portraying said extortion in a bad way you can make a report, and that if they go for a CK and fail you have the right to CK them in response, maybe getting in contact with an illegal organization. Extortion should come with its risk for the illegal part too, and it does, let's not forget about it.

I completely agree with this. I did not want to put "forum complaint" in there immediately as it is common sense that you will report someone for such. 

4 hours ago, Kappaurel said:

Unfortunately, most of the time everyone plays tough and some big bosses. Extorters around the server (most of them) ask from 5-10k, it is literally nothing in their world, it's just a way to bring more RolePlay into it. If you have a bar/club/dealership and such, 10k a week is nothing. You get 20k on opening a bar per day... Just... don't play tough without a reason

3 hours ago, Alexion said:

I think you're missing one of the most important points: extortion should have a legal front. It shouldn't just be "Hey, I'm in an organized crime group and you're in my area" it needs to have a legal front to launder the income and act as a cover up should the business owner make law enforcement aware. 

Legal front is another guide, it'd have more pages if I dig into it. But yes!

2 hours ago, Chuck Lee said:

I'd put for owner's perspective to never make yourself available, always have some replacement.

Avoiding it, as in my guide, is bad strategy, it can get on someone's nerves, one could also go to your manager in stead. 

And if he's threatened get a not one, but two groups against the other.

Over 10k? Keep in mind, no-one will go in "war" or arguments for nothing, as I said in the guide "Keep in mind that, if you ask other organization for help, they will ask for something in return". 

And the best part is you don't need a whole army to get rid of mobsters, just a couple of men that plan accordingly and are given the necessary equipment to grab the boss.

Yes, true, but again, it will cost you much more than just paying "taxes"

I personally think this guide is needed because I saw really bad and poor portrayal from both sides, unfortunately.

Thank you all for input guys 🙂

Edited by SiMo
On 1/7/2021 at 6:30 PM, SiMo said:

5. Extortion

• If extortion really happens and you are unprepared, start paying the “tax/community service”, buy yourself time. Calculate whether it is profitable to keep the business up even with paying extorters or not. At the end, making so much hassle because of ten grand a week is just not worth it. If you decide to get rid of extorters you can either hire different criminal organization or go to Police Department/Sheriff’s Department. Keep in mind, no-one can protect you 24/7 and the extorters will certainly find your weak spot. At the end, your business is stationary, you can not protect it from being broken to, burglarized or even burnt to ground. Having your business closed for 2 weeks for renovation will cost you much more than paying weekly taxes. If you decide to go to different group, they will not help you for free and risk their men and resources. Finally, it is nothing but calculation.

So business owners get the short end of the stick no matter which way they go? This is not how extortion goes in 2020-2021, sorry. Having the business burned down doesn't get you paid either, so that makes no sense. You're basically saying all businesses should just kneel at the mercy of the extorters because it's less hassle? Give me a break. Sorry, but I completely disagree with your entire approach towards extortion.

It is highly recommended to take screenshots/videos of each process of extortion from beginning. If the extortion goes bad for you, always AIM FOR CHARACTER KILL. Unfortunately, there are those who would simply deny your extortion request and try to force you to Player Kill in order to avoid extortion for next month or two. If you PK an owner, he/she will be opening the business afterwards but you will not be able to start the process all over again. For Character Kill you will need evidence of how you acted upon owner’s denial of your requests. Character Kills are usually approved if the evidence is firm, so be patient and always go for one.

If you start killing all your extortion attempts, who's left to extort? That doesn't sound good for business. Unless they show an extreme disregard for their life, administration has already said they don't approve CK's on business owners until after a long build-up of events. You're basically encouraging people to extort and if you don't get your way, you CK the business owner. Once again, this is not how extortion works in this day and age. You're forcing business owners into a corner where it's either comply or eventually get CK'd. That's completely ridiculous and I'm pretty sure this wouldn't fly under a CK request unless the extreme case where a business owner shows a complete disregard for their own life. If a business owner tells you no and then goes to the police, a CK shouldn't be approved.

@Shanks said this in another thread:

I don't know who's informing you about IFM policies or the way we handle CK's, but people are constantly informed in their CK apps that come in to go to other lengths before the murder is even considered on people they extort. As these are situations they create themselves and I fully agree, normal citizens would call the police, and there's plenty of ways to handle that outside of the murdering rush. Which we do enforce.

People don't just randomly get CK applications approved off of a one time incident of someone going to police over a situation like that. Applications require build-up and they require logical sense as well as it is a last-resort option. That's a long way unless something escalated in a situation.

Edited by Cypher
  • Upvote 1
  • Jax locked this topic