New property changes discussion

Timzii

Just now, ScottieP said:

I feel like I have to express something here. I am not renting nor anything just my honest opinion on the whole payment thing. You see, if a landlord gives the keys to a new tenant and this tenant refuses to pay for the week the landlord won't make any money out of it regardless if the tenant is facing or not facing eviction. Now you can't really prosecute this through the judiciary system because A: Too much work for 5-10K (Lawyer is expensive) B: Player might be inactive so it won't make much sense C : ..  So in the end the landlord wont make any kind of money for the month and might end up selling some of the apartments to stay financially healthy or go into bankruptcy. Will it still make sense to proceed with this kind of roleplay? Because realisticly the only income that the landlords that are working this full time are getting is the rents from the properties and keep in mind that the payment and everything that goes on is based on IRL weeks/months which is a lot of time if you think about it. Say you don't get any kind of money from your property that you are renting for one and a half month because of the complications that suddenly appeared every week you wouldn't want to do that anymore and why would you waste your time on that? 

I think these concerns are unfounded. Any smart landlord will demand payments in advance. If you are not being paid, then you have the command to revoke access and search for a new tenant.

As for staying financially healthy, this is so exceptionally easy in GTAW, I really do not see the basis for this concern. You literally have no costs for ownership, other than property taxes. You can't tell me that you are going bankrupt from just those taxes. Aren't they like 0,01% per online hour? Sure, there are other costs involved in running a rental agency, but I really do not see why this has to be made so easy for everyone involved here. This new system has the potential to get a lot more income than before. If you're not going to take the opportunities presented, someone else will.

Don't worry guys, sell all your houses, buy a ton of cars, illegally occupy a parking lot, and sell those cars without paying a weekly/monthly fee, because those illegal dealerships haven't been touched yet and they are very profitable.

Being a landlord right now is wasting time and getting overwhelmed.

• Applaud 1
Just now, mj2002 said:

I think these concerns are unfounded. Any smart landlord will demand payments in advance. If you are not being paid, then you have the command to revoke access and search for a new tenant.

As for staying financially healthy, this is so exceptionally easy in GTAW, I really do not see the basis for this concern. You literally have no costs for ownership, other than property taxes. You can't tell me that you are going bankrupt from just those taxes. Aren't they like 0,01% per online hour? Sure, there are other costs involved in running a rental agency, but I really do not see why this has to be made so easy for everyone involved here. This new system has the potential to get a lot more income than before. If you're not going to take the opportunities presented, someone else will.

you are quite out of touch with the rest of the community it seems.

find me someone who is going to pay 80K up front to rent for a months rent?? You will find that most tenants do not have this kind of money and it is exactly why they are renting in the first place...

no one is going to be “taking opportunities” because the system is not attractive to do this.

the premise behind stating financially healthy is that the income you are receiving from the rent does not really cover the cost of “living” on GTAW. If you’re making 7K per property as some suggest it’s negligible and I can easily surpass spending this daily so to receive it weekly is poor.

4 minutes ago, eMe said:

you are quite out of touch with the rest of the community it seems.

find me someone who is going to pay 80K up front to rent for a months rent?? You will find that most tenants do not have this kind of money and it is exactly why they are renting in the first place...

no one is going to be “taking opportunities” because the system is not attractive to do this.

the premise behind stating financially healthy is that the income you are receiving from the rent does not really cover the cost of “living” on GTAW. If you’re making 7K per property as some suggest it’s negligible and I can easily surpass spending this daily so to receive it weekly is poor.

If you're charging 80k a month, we can make an example;

$80.000/month = $20.000/week = $2857/day.
Lets assume we estimate  between 2 - 6 hours a day of play time on a relevant characters.

$2857/day = between $475 and $1430/hour. We are clearly talking about a very high end  (or high demand) residence here.

If you have a fancy villa in Vinewood Hills available, you bet your ass you'll find someone willing to pay $80.000 up front for this.

Do I think you should be allowed to ask this much? Not really. But it is up to you as a landlord to set the right price.

All I am seeing from this thread is people wanting more money for less effort. Are you really here to roleplay as a landlord? You know you can have just as much fun roleplaying as a landlord if you'd ask $20,000/month for this property, right?

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

I

$80.000/month = $20.000/week = $2857/day.
Lets assume we estimate  between 2 - 6 hours a day of play time on a relevant characters.

$2857/day = between $475 and $1430/hour. We are clearly talking about a very high end  (or high demand) residence here.

How does this calculation make any sense? Just because they play that amount of time per day doesn't mean they don't pay for the whole day.

You can have somebody with $200 rent who plays 5 hours a day, making you that $1,000 in an apartment, or somebody who plays 2 hours a day and rents out your house for $500 per hour and makes you the same amount. Neither of the two parties would complaint as they are still not losing money with it via paychecks. 

If you have a fancy villa in Vinewood Hills available, you bet your ass you'll find someone willing to pay $80.000 up front for this.

Do I think you should be allowed to ask this much? Not really. But it is up to you as a landlord to set the right price.

How is $20,000 a week a lot? Anyone who roleplays at a gas station can make that amount within hours of active roleplay, noting that it's one of the lower-end jobs available. 

All I am seeing from this thread is people wanting more money for less effort. Are you really here to roleplay as a landlord? You know you can have just as much fun roleplaying as a landlord if you'd ask $20,000/month for this property, right?

53 minutes ago, eMe said:

?? you clearly have no idea how easy being a landlord is in real life. I speak from experience when I say it requires very little if any at all intervention. 

you may get the occasionally repair once or twice a year but for the most part it just ticks by totally passively and is essentially “money for nothing”. So yes, the concept of potentially finding new tenants on a weekly or monthly basis is not attractive since the industry has been flipped on its head.

44 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

I don't think that you understand the concerns at all. I already mentioned the problems about your first paragraph. As for the second one, if you really look for it to be that realistic and fight for it then why do you include that ""this is so exceptionally easy in GTAW"? I don't necessarily think that it is that easy but you want to portray it more realisticly and so including this particular sentence doesn't really explain to me how realistic you want to go because you fight for reality but when it comes to some details which are of a significant importance you just refer to the server itself which doesn't really make sense. If you really want to look it the realistic way. Yeah landlords can go bankruptcy if they don't get paid eventually, talking especially about real estate companies- people will be fired- company will be shut down. Normal people will just sell the property and proceed with whatever they were doing anyways. I don't say that this system doesn't have potential or if you will get a lot more or not but will it be executed as expected between both parties(landlord-tenant)?

1 hour ago, Timzii said:

How does this calculation make any sense? Just because they play that amount of time per day doesn't mean they don't pay for the whole day.

You can have somebody with $200 rent who plays 5 hours a day, making you that $1,000 in an apartment, or somebody who plays 2 hours a day and rents out your house for $500 per hour and makes you the same amount. Neither of the two parties would complaint as they are still not losing money with it via paychecks. 

How is $20,000 a week a lot? Anyone who roleplays at a gas station can make that amount within hours of active roleplay, noting that it's one of the lower-end jobs available. 

The calculation makes perfect sense because I am contrasting your $20.000/week with the previous hourly paycheck system. What is there not to understand? if they're not losing money before, and you keep the rent on a weekly or monthly basis in the same range, they will not be losing money in the new system either.

If you think $20.000 is not a lot, then what is the problem? Find a tenant and sell them on your idea.

25 minutes ago, ScottieP said:

I don't think that you understand the concerns at all. I already mentioned the problems about your first paragraph.

As for the second one, if you really look for it to be that realistic and fight for it then why do you include that ""this is so exceptionally easy in GTAW"? I don't necessarily think that it is that easy but you want to portray it more realisticly and so including this particular sentence doesn't really explain to me how realistic you want to go because you fight for reality but when it comes to some details which are of a significant importance you just refer to the server itself which doesn't really make sense. If you really want to look it the realistic way. Yeah landlords can go bankruptcy if they don't get paid eventually, talking especially about real estate companies- people will be fired- company will be shut down. Normal people will just sell the property and proceed with whatever they were doing anyways. I don't say that this system doesn't have potential or if you will get a lot more or not but will it be executed as expected between both parties(landlord-tenant)?

For the first paragraph, I already explained how you can avoid the problems of payment. If you cannot figure a problem like this out for yourself, then perhaps you are not business savvy enough to be a successful landlord. No offense, but this is a complete no brainer. Challenges like these are part of your business environment and this is a level playing field for other landlords. Deal with it, you're a landlord.

For the second part, you have yet to explain where these financial difficulties are coming from. It is really simple, there is a demand for rented housing in GTAW. You have access to properties. There are no maintenance costs. Property taxes are negligible. If you cannot survive as a businessperson in this environment, then you shouldn't be considering this sort of roleplay. 

Are there improvements possible to this system? Sure.

- Be able to set managers for buildings, ability to give them access to the new commands.

- Be able to schedule bank transfers (this really isn't even necessary, but I'm not opposing QoL improvements)

What else do you really want? There's certainly nothing that has been brought up in this thread that you need.

Edited by mj2002

As someone that used to do Landlord RP I fully support the changes they made. I personally have not seen anyone put the effort needed to properly be a Landlord (doesn't mean it doesn't happen). People used the public rent thing to earn money quick and easy with no RP.

Getting paid hourly for someone renting your property is stupid. You should be drafting up a tenants agreement that will be a weekly or monthly payment.

At the end of the day this update fixes something that was my main concern when it came to the tenant-landlord relationship, which is the RP and connection. This update makes sure you actually talk to your tenant, writing up a tenants agreement etc.

Is it more inconvenient now to be a Landlord? Yes, and thank god for this change, it shouldn't be a walk in the park to earn thousands and thousands of dollars a week. Hopefully the next step is fixing the mechanic garages earning so much.

• Upvote 1