New property changes discussion

Timzii

I really think it shouldn't be too much to ask for a landlord to go out and meet the renters to conclude the agreement. This is realistic and should appeal to those who are really interested in roleplaying as a landlord, rather than those who say they want to be a landlord, but really are in it for the money. Collecting rent can be done via /banktransfer, so the landlord only needs to meet the renter for the first time, and can then collect payments and verify them through UCP. So what exactly is the problem there?

That said, being able to set business employees in a role that gives them access to the new key commands shouldn't be too much to ask either.

12 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

I really think it shouldn't be too much to ask for a landlord to go out and meet the renters to conclude the agreement. This is realistic and should appeal to those who are really interested in roleplaying as a landlord, rather than those who say they want to be a landlord, but really are in it for the money. Collecting rent can be done via /banktransfer, so the landlord only needs to meet the renter for the first time, and can then collect payments and verify them through UCP. So what exactly is the problem there?

That said, being able to set business employees in a role that gives them access to the new key commands shouldn't be too much to ask either.

Roleplaying signing agreements is not the problem and anyone who takes landlord roleplay seriously already does this.

the issue really stems from players neglecting to continuing to pay when the current process is automated. In real life tenants just set up direct debits and pay their rent monthly automatically.

players who neglect to pay get evicted, and new tenants replace them, however doing this weekly is tedious and not an example of good tenant/landlord roleplay.

2 minutes ago, eMe said:

players who neglect to pay get evicted, and new tenants replace them, however doing this weekly is tedious and not an example of good tenant/landlord roleplay.

If it is too much for you to check on those tenants you need to kick out on a weekly basis, then ask them to pay monthly. Otherwise, maybe landlord roleplay isn't for you? What do you think being a landlord entails? You're always on the run, busy with things that you do not have to worry about here. You barely even have expenses, no maintenance, no upkeep. What is the challenge for you here? Driving past a few apartments to revoke access is too much? Finding new tenants is too much work?  Why are you considering this type of roleplay to begin with then?

Edited by mj2002
26 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

My problem is that I've made it into a company. My agents take on requests for rent. They meet tenants and I pay them a cut. Meet with them to get info about tenants and so on. Its grown into a bigger than just one-man job. 

With new system it requires me, as an owner of properties to be present, and with seven apartments its alot of work for just one person. Now my staff cant make contracts, and it takes this side of roleplay out. 

With new system it requires tenants to pay themselves which they can just choose not to do and face eviction. 

As I said. I understand the roleplay aspect for those who rent out one or two apartments. But it kills real-estate companies that are managed by more than one person.

Possibly I have to fire my staff, since they simply can not do their job anymore. Due to busy job IRL I most likely need to sell the whole portfolio or face inactivity sell-out.

I just confirmed what you said and added my side. 

Overall, while it might be seen as a step up with the update. It really bashes options to grow the bussiness. Its an update with no real tought behind it, just pushed out to basically push something out. It could of be done differently. And this thread shows it really well that the landlords that actually rp being a landlord are not happy about it. Theese people who rent open apartments will lose like they did before. It only kills the actual roleplayers.

Edited by Clara Tusk

?? you clearly have no idea how easy being a landlord is in real life. I speak from experience when I say it requires very little if any at all intervention. 

you may get the occasionally repair once or twice a year but for the most part it just ticks by totally passively and is essentially “money for nothing”. So yes, the concept of potentially finding new tenants on a weekly or monthly basis is not attractive since the industry has been flipped on its head.

4 minutes ago, Clara Tusk said:

My problem is that I've made it into a company. My agents take on requests for rent. They meet tenants and I pay them a cut. Meet with them to get info about tenants and so on. Its grown into a bigger than just one-man job. 

With new system it requires me, as an owner of properties to be present, and with seven apartments its alot of work for just one person. No my staff cant make contracts, and it takes this side of roleplay out. 

With new system it requires tenants to pay themselves which they can just choose not to do and face eviction. 

As I said. I understand the roleplay aspect for those who rent out one or two apartments. But it kills real-estate companies that are managed by more than one person.

Possibly I have to fire my staff, since they simply can not do their job anymore. Due to busy job IRL I most likely need to sell the whole portfolio or face inactivity sell-out.

This is why I said that having your employees act on your behalf to have access to the new commands should be seriously considered. Doesn't this solve all your problems?

If tenants do not pay, evict them. You make them pay in advance anyway, so where exactly are you losing out?

Just now, mj2002 said:

This is why I said that having your employees act on your behalf to have access to the new commands should be seriously considered. Doesn't this solve all your problems?

If tenants do not pay, evict them. You make them pay in advance anyway, so where exactly are you losing out?

If those type of commands are being added then the new update would make sense. Right now its a mess.

5 minutes ago, eMe said:

?? you clearly have no idea how easy being a landlord is in real life. I speak from experience when I say it requires very little if any at all intervention. 

you may get the occasionally repair once or twice a year but for the most part it just ticks by totally passively and is essentially “money for nothing”. So yes, the concept of potentially finding new tenants on a weekly or monthly basis is not attractive since the industry has been flipped on its head.

Roleplay is about interaction, not about farming money with the least amount of effort. Consider another type of roleplay if its not attractive to you. I am sure others will happily take your place.

Just now, mj2002 said:

Roleplay is about interaction, not about farming money with the least amount of effort. Consider another type of roleplay if its not attractive to you. I am sure others will happily take your place.

I don’t think anyone will be looking to roleplay a landlord with the current setup. 

25 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

If it is too much for you to check on those tenants you need to kick out on a weekly basis, then ask them to pay monthly. Otherwise, maybe landlord roleplay isn't for you? What do you think being a landlord entails? You're always on the run, busy with things that you do not have to worry about here. You barely even have expenses, no maintenance, no upkeep. What is the challenge for you here? Driving past a few apartments to revoke access is too much? Finding new tenants is too much work?  Why are you considering this type of roleplay to begin with then?

I feel like I have to express something here. I am not renting nor anything just my honest opinion on the whole payment thing. You see, if a landlord gives the keys to a new tenant and this tenant refuses to pay for the week the landlord won't make any money out of it regardless if the tenant is facing or not facing eviction. Now you can't really prosecute this through the judiciary system because A: Too much work for 5-10K (Lawyer is expensive) B: Player might be inactive so it won't make much sense C : ..  So in the end the landlord wont make any kind of money for the month and might end up selling some of the apartments to stay financially healthy or go into bankruptcy. Will it still make sense to proceed with this kind of roleplay? Because realisticly the only income that the landlords that are working this full time are getting is the rents from the properties and keep in mind that the payment and everything that goes on is based on IRL weeks/months which is a lot of time if you think about it. Say you don't get any kind of money from your property that you are renting for one and a half month because of the complications that suddenly appeared every week you wouldn't want to do that anymore and why would you waste your time on that? 

- I just read that you can pay in advance and I did not really include that. While yeah it's normally the case IRL, on the server nobody will pay you 20-50K in advance, in case he/she doesn't pay for the next 2-3 weeks because they might get scammed/ be evicted/inactive.

Edited by ScottieP
Last paragraph