The recent riots

xdthe

In my opinion, current public IRL events shouldn't be roleplayed, since people play a game to forget about irl problems. I'm against of using the GTA lore,, since not everyone is familiar with it, a lot of people roleplaying here didn't actually play the GTA single player games. Besides a lot of its lore happened in other GTA games. When did this server start? 2017? 2018? All previous IRL events should be taking account into the server lore, since it helps in character stories: 90's LA riots, 2008 crisis, War in irak, global warming, etc. All those things should be roleplayed as history to be used by character stories.

Example: USA presidential elections, a player can be from another country and not really informed about USA current events. Or even an american player could be annoyed about irl campaigns and just want to play the game. On the other hand, mayor IC elections could be a great thing.

Edited by Lucie
Just now, Lucie said:

In my opinion, current public IRL events shouldn't be roleplayed, since people play a game to forget about irl problems. I'm against of using the GTA lore,, since not everyone is familiar with it, a lot of people roleplaying here didn't actually play the GTA single player games. Besides a lot of its lore happened in other GTA games. When did this server start? 2017? 2018? All previous IRL events should be taking account into the server lore, since it helps in character stories: 90's LA riots, 2008 crisis, War in irak, global warming, etc. All those things should be roleplayed as history to be used by character stories. 

Well yes that's the point, also rest easy, GTA lore as in what happened in games and stuff isn't played out either as what we have is but fictious state based on two US states plus variety of brands to choose from, but that's all we have. 

30 minutes ago, Lucie said:

Example: USA presidential elections, a player can be from another country and not really informed about USA current events. Or even an american player could be annoyed about irl campaigns and just want to play the game. On the other hand, mayor IC elections could be a great thing.

I guess we should tell all illegal rpers to stop rping illegal because it will only cause them problems. Why risk dying or ending in prison when you can RP rich? It's a game, people RP what they want.

2 hours ago, Wirbelwind said:

Keep the following responses exclusively related to the ingame event that occurred last night. Anything else, you can discuss privately, as this is not the place to air out any grievances towards one another.

1 hour ago, jcat said:

LS is located in the GTA universe.  The 2016 Election didn't happen.  The War on Terror didn't happen.  COVID didn't happen.  Nothing that didn't happen on the GTAW server or in the GTA universe happened.  Instead, Jock Cranley happened.  North Yankton happened.  The rest of GTA's satire-world and satire-history happened.

If the playerbase needs a rule, staff, give a us a rule.  Then we'll all know how much OOC is considered IC, so we can rp accordingly.

Gotta say I really don't agree with that whatsoever. If we were roleplaying in the GTA Universe, Culver City Boys and most other Sureno gangs would either be Vagos or Aztecas, and my faction would be La Marabunta Grande, which it isn't. The only parts of so called 'GTA LORE' (Which imho doesn't even matter because it's some trash story that my 12 year old autistic brother could probably come up with if he was asked to, faster than R* even released the game)

We're only required to roleplay the existance of the lore car brands. Everything else is up to the player, if we want to roleplay drinking Corona or Modelo and not pisswasser, we will, etc. If I want to reference COVID IC, I will, because it still happened IC the way I see it, it's just not something that's present in San Andreas and so as a result, we're not required (and are discouraged) from roleplaying it, which I agree with, I don't fuck with Covid 19 and It'll make me uncomfortable rp around it.

But the fact that u, on a heavy roleplaying server expect us to roleplay a parody version of the US, as opposed to roleplaying the real US, which most (If not all)) of the real life events having happened kinda worries me. The 2016 election did infact happen because we're roleplaying a US state, meaning our president is Donald J. Trump, not Jock Cranley or any other PARODY of a real life person, North Yankton exists in this universe, yes. That's because North Yankton is based on the US State North Dakota, no other reason.

Obviously the war on terror happened, it's a part of the US history, so it should be roleplayed. Obviously COVID shouldn't be roleplayed, period.

But protests about racism? I don't see the problem with it, a cop shot down 2 innocent bystanders during a heated situation in characterly, then at the city hall they literally killed even more people. It's being taken IC, there's nothing more to it.

Edited by El Ghetto Man
  • Upvote 2
Just now, El Ghetto Man said:

Gotta say I really don't agree with that whatsoever.

Cool, to each his own.

Just now, El Ghetto Man said:

But protests about racism? I don't see the problem with it, a cop shot down 2 innocent bystanders during a heated situation in characterly, then at the city hall they literally killed even more people. It's being taken IC, there's nothing more to it.

That happened in game IC, so characters responded IC.  My point was that characters referring to a real life person who doesn't exist in game damaged the roleplay, and I suggested that characters avoid that to make the rp event more immersive.  Another poster pointed out that protesters were calling out the names of the shot characters, which made the rp event better. 

3 minutes ago, El Ghetto Man said:

The fact that u, on a heavy roleplaying server expect us

The only expectations I have are for people to follow server rules.  Other than that, I don't have any expectations, man.  I don't even expect characters in game to make any sense.  Don't make me tell you the Christmas Elf story.

7 minutes ago, El Ghetto Man said:

roleplaying the real US, which most (If not all)) of the real life events having happened.

We need a staff ruling.  We need a ruling about how close the GTAW setting history and current events matches real life history and current events, so we all know how to roleplay consistently with each other.  Englebert mentioned one ruling, but that doesn't cover the point you're bringing up.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, we need a ruling regarding it, mainly so threads like this can stop being derailed by this pointless discussion, not to seem rude, but we've talked about this plenty of times before, I think people should just let it go and leave it as a grey area until the admins figure out what they want to do with it, I'm sure they're discussing it extensively and I hope they come up with a ruling about it soon.

FYI though, I don't think George Floyd's death should play a part in this protest despite rl events that happened, those mentioned at these protests should be those that were killed by the LSPD, whether it was yesterday or in the past, aslong as it happened in characterly and isn't some NPC'd death or something that happened out of state or realistically woulda happened decades ago. We've got something fun going on here, there's no need to overshadow the other lives that were lost IC with the name of George Floyd, who's actually dead. 

I don't think this because of any lore reasons, I just think it'd be poor taste to bring a dead man's name onto the game.

Edited by El Ghetto Man

Here's my take on it, to be lost in the 15 pages of posts:

This is an uncomfortable thing to roleplay, and some people are definitely taking advantage of the situation to DM or use new characters to force consequences on more established ones. But... that's also sort of the point.  If you desire escapism, you can stay away from the riots. It's an interruption to your usual RP programming for the day, but my character took off from the city and has been hiding out. It's realistic for her to do so, and it prevents me from having to deal with the negative parts of the riots. Of course, I also miss out on seeing this RP take place.

There are some of us in the community who have experienced these recent protests in real life, or who have had friends and family experience them. For some of us, it's particularly uncomfortable to see this in-game. Today, the police fired tear gas into the crowd in our simulated RP riot. And yet, I can't help but feel that this is a good thing to roleplay. 

Roleplay, like all writing, allows us to explore vulnerabilities and sometimes some uncomfortable issues. It is my hope that roleplaying through this riot will give people some flavor of insight into what's happening for millions of people IRL. Whether you agree with the protests or not, there's much to be upset with about how these human beings are being treated by law enforcement. For the people RPing on the other sides of the protest, whether that's as paramedics or as police, you have a chance to see another side that most people IRL don't, and that's a taste of the difficulties faced by police officers at the scene of riots, at once with your hands tied by public image and by a furious mob of people who can turn on you at any moment. 

It is my hope that with this RP people have a chance to learn something new about themselves and see things in a different light. 

Edited by Ink
Spelling mistakes.
  • Groz locked this topic