Create Rules Around Extortion

Torlo

Drowning illegal roleplayers under a sea of applications and OOC processes will just lock them out of things and ultimately result in no extortion rp at all. Extortion is a very basic and rudimentary tactic used by any group that has a modicum of organization. And it's also one of the most obvious ways for legal and illegal roleplayers to interact.

If several groups extort you simultaneously, they will sooner or later discuss or fight over the issue, and the problem will be solved.

Edited by arrdef

Don't really see a need to create apps or additional shackles onto the extortion, maybe add a max amount of money you can extort per week just as with robbery/scam rules. Other than that, some people portray it poorly, yes, some are actually pretty good at it. In the end, you need to role-play it regardless if it's poorly portrayed or not. If you think it is poor portrayal, you can make an RP quality report, faction report and whatever else. Or maybe, perhaps, make only factions to be able to extort that exist for at least a month already.

1 hour ago, arrdef said:

Drowning illegal roleplayers under a sea of applications and OOC processes will just lock them out of things and ultimately result in no extortion rp at all. Extortion is a very basic and rudimentary tactic used by any group that has a modicum of organization. And it's also one of the most obvious ways for legal and illegal roleplayers to interact.

If several groups extort you simultaneously, they will sooner or later discuss or fight over the issue, and the problem will be solved.

This.

Adding an application like you suggest doesn't fix the problems you've stated and instead turns scenarios from being weird IC to being weird OOC. I don't think anybody wants roleplay to be stopped for 5+ minutes while the two parties go over the specifics of their extortion application over /b and show off all the details.

On 6/4/2020 at 11:12 PM, Torlo said:

In just the past two days alone at Rob's Liquor we've had random groups of two friends or maybe a set of six people trying to extort the store. This is totally ridiculous and unrealistic, it's one thing if a big gang or mafia with power in the area tries to extort a store, that makes sense. But allowing a group of two or six friends to extort a store on a daily basis is insane.

How is this unrealistic? How do you know this isn't a faction hiring some goons to fuck with your business so that you would go to them for protection? Even if it isn't you have a choice of going to PD or paying protection to the local gang/mafia in your area. This is a complete IC matter and should be treated as such, you have been given an opportunity for some in depth roleplay so why do you immediately go for some sort of ooc intervention? If you character doesn't want to use PD use a local mafia/gang, they will take over and deal with the people bothering your business by either going for ck's or whatever else.

The idea that everything should be locked behind some sort of application is really just going to create avalanche of such suggestions until we come to a point where everything will require a application for. As people already have pointed out, this is IC issue and you should deal with it ICly.

Extortion is simple, you ask money for protection, or you can just ask money for not trashing them everytime. But if it's the latter, then the shop is more likely to pay someone, that actually has the muscle to protect them. If a group cannot guarantee a protection of the shop they are extorting, then it's on them, really. Now I know it's a game and people have their lives, which is why criminal groups and gangs, should invest into manpower. Yeah in the end it's people who make the difference, server is on 24/7 just like LIFE. Also too much extortion ruins the business, ask for money too often and they will close the shop. Extortion no matter how bad it sounds, is sometimes beneficial for both sides. Just pick a group that can guarantee you safety and that's it. Everyone's happy.

Edited by Engelbert
  • 2 weeks later...

Two sides:

Should be regulated - why? Because I agree with many, that the RP around extortion is poor. They come to the business while guests around and ask for money when people are around. They ask for bank transfers as in extortion money, they take the envelopes under CCTV-s, et cetera... So this is a very poor portrayal by the illegal Factions. Also - as you are ONE business owner and fifteen people come in your business for "protection" services - there is no way in hell you going to say "no" to them. And this leaves not too many options for legal characters to work on. Yeah - police is one, but you see the fifteen to twenty people and your mind goes "Alright, I am gonna fight back". Sure - seven people get arrested for extortion, the other eight will CK you, because this is already reason enough for that. And the end - new character. 

Should not be - why? It is definitely an IC-issue. Getting property is also IC-issue, but is still regulated. Who you want to portray is also IC-issue, but we still have rules (rightly so!) what you can not RP as. So, I encourage the illegal factions to it more-- privately, more cunning. 

Extortion nowadays takes place, indeed - but certainly not like that, who every business is extorted, like Every Single One. 
In conclusion - extortion is part of the illegal factions and should not be taken away from them, BUT RP-ing it more realistically and giving the other side some consideration might be in place here. Can someone give me a example of a business, which has come out as a winner while being extorted? ? I gladly will listen to a success story, but I doubt, that there is one. If you decline, then you get threatened, beaten, kidnapped; your business is vandalized, et cetera. And some are getting killed as well. 

• Upvote 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic