The problem of being new?

Another idea is to place yourself quickly into little, easily manageable RP situations. One way that helped me was to visit open convenience stores and interact with the staff behind the counter (I soon had more water bottles than I could carry!). I also tried to make sure that whenever I filled up on gas, I did so at a gas station that had a player operating it.

These didn’t go all that far in developing my character, but they let me practice the commands and to experiment. And sometimes, a small interaction turns into something epic - I was refuelling at the Davis 24-7 and witnessed a serious assault. Soon the police, medics and anyone in the area was involved, but really thinking about and role playing what my character would do in that situation was a wonderful opportunity.

My final piece of unsolicited input is that if someone with more RP experience than you offers to give you advice, don’t be offended and take the chance to gain some valuable guidance. I’ve been lucky enough to get tips from at least half a dozen players now and every time I learned something new.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Greyfeather said:

Another idea is to place yourself quickly into little, easily manageable RP situations. One way that helped me was to visit open convenience stores and interact with the staff behind the counter (I soon had more water bottles than I could carry!). I also tried to make sure that whenever I filled up on gas, I did so at a gas station that had a player operating it.

These didn’t go all that far in developing my character, but they let me practice the commands and to experiment. And sometimes, a small interaction turns into something epic - I was refuelling at the Davis 24-7 and witnessed a serious assault. Soon the police, medics and anyone in the area was involved, but really thinking about and role playing what my character would do in that situation was a wonderful opportunity.

My final piece of unsolicited input is that if someone with more RP experience than you offers to give you advice, don’t be offended and take the chance to gain some valuable guidance. I’ve been lucky enough to get tips from at least half a dozen players now and every time I learned something new.

Great advice. But do not go to Davis 24/7 it's like Idlewood of lsrp lol

2 hours ago, Greyfeather said:

I did this exact same thing on my first character. Really recommended.

So first and foremost, I'm not saying faction RP is superior to any type or that people should prefer it over RPing solo, however I believe the server needs some form of new player questionnaire that directs these new players towards the factions and groups best suited for what they are looking for. For example, a new player joins the server and during the questionnaire he/she indicates they are interested in Italian organized crime. The questionnaire would suggest whatever factions fit, in this case directing the new player towards The Conti Crime Family, The Philadelphia Connection and the Gaspetta Crew. In addition to connecting players with factions and possibly a point of contact for questions it could also direct the new player towards community guides pertaining to they're subject of choice, so in the case of LCN @Chef's LCN guide, which has become somewhat of standard when it comes to LCN in this community.

I don't know, this was kind of a spur of the moment idea. I'd be interested to see what the community thinks. 

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Henning said:

So first and foremost, I'm not saying faction RP is superior to any type or that people should prefer it over RPing solo, however I believe the server needs some form of new player questionnaire that directs these new players towards the factions and groups best suited for what they are looking for. For example, a new player joins the server and during the questionnaire he/she indicates they are interested in Italian organized crime. The questionnaire would suggest whatever factions fit, in this case directing the new player towards The Conti Crime Family, The Philadelphia Connection and the Gaspetta Crew. In addition to connecting players with factions and possibly a point of contact for questions it could also direct the new player towards community guides pertaining to they're subject of choice, so in the case of LCN @Chef's LCN guide, which has become somewhat of standard when it comes to LCN in this community.

I don't know, this was kind of a spur of the moment idea. I'd be interested to see what the community thinks. 

This would help a lot indeed. Also in other way, getting actual rp done. Despite having more and more players, people may feel alone in the city, going from bar to a club or a shop just to have any roleplay.

23 hours ago, Henning said:

I believe the server needs some form of new player questionnaire that directs these new players towards the factions and groups best suited for what they are looking for.

I think that's a really good idea.  But, will factions be accepting of new players?

1 hour ago, jcat said:

I think that's a really good idea.  But, will factions be accepting of new players?

Factions are generally really accepting of new players, I've never come across a faction that has not wanted a player specifically because they are new. I'm sure you'll run into some issues with players who have somewhat of an unorthodox idea for they're characters (*Cough* Female LCN Characters *Cough*) but I genuinely believe that factions are way more accepting of new players then people think.

25 minutes ago, Henning said:

I genuinely believe that factions are way more accepting of new players then people think.

I certainly hope so, because your idea of guiding new players to a faction that meets their interests is a really great idea.  It would connect new players with the rp they're interested in right from the start.  It would completely bypass all of the aimless wandering and going to bars and clubs not knowing anyone and not knowing how to strike up rp when everyone else seems to be having a great time.  I think it would be really helpful and contribute directly to helping new players get a quick successful start on GTAW.

• 6 months later...