The problem of being new?

3 minutes ago, Marksman said:

That's how things work on any good server, hell thats how things work in reality. You don't suddenly get a group of friends to hang with. And Idlestacks was hardly the pinnacle of RP quality. Anyone that went there to find good friends was not going to have a fulfilling time.

Well, based on own experience, I met quite good, and complex RPs there, but I'm talking about 2012, then I assume lsrp started to lose quality and what you say it's true. But there will always be differences between a good RP server and reality. To give you an example, if you go to Santa Monica beach during summer you'll see a lot of people, but in game it'll be almost empty. If you go to a nighclub there will be hundreds inside, while in game you'll see dozen. There's a matter of scale that will always be there. I think that a players hub, like stacks, it's realistic, because that's how every busy street works in real life.

Join some Light RP servers first, then medium then you can RP in heavy RP servers. At the same time it's not really your fault. The application system is flawed. Meaning that if you don't know how to heavy rp yet, you should not be able to pass the application.

Think it like this. Let's say you play a game that has a medal ranking system. You're a bronze player and there is no way you can play with gold players.
How I learned to RP? I had a friend who already knew, and walked me through every step for about 2-3 weeks.

I started on another heavy rp server before coming to GTAW.  I had no idea of what the server's rp would be like, and experienced players even told me on the forums that maybe I should get lost, but I took to gta 5 heavy rp like a duck to water.  I was having positive interactions on my first day.

The key was staying completely in character, thinking about who my character was and what my character would do, and then doing that even if no one was around.  My rp was immersive and consistent.  Supporting that was being very, very patient.  If the streets were deserted and no one was around, I would still make my character walk for blocks.  Not jog, not run, walk, like a normal person would walk, because of my own sense of realism and character integrity.  Acting like that made everything work.  On my first day, when I was kind of fucking up, I reacted to people completely in character just like if my character were caught acting kind of weird and then had to explain himself (I was running from building to building and hiding, expecting to get robbed at any minute.  Another character asked me what I was doing.  My character explained that he was scared because he thought it was a high crime neighborhood.  The other character said it wasn't, my character said okay, and then I knew how to act in that area.  problem solved).  I went to an open business and watched how other people acted.  No problem.  

When people come to GTAW and expect the same level of fast action as they might have experienced on other servers, it could cause issues, like them driving their new rental car like crazy because that's how you attract the cops for some quick rp.

• Upvote 1

I don't really like all these tags, light rp, heavy rp. Roleplay isn't rocket science, you don't need a college for that, just common sense and knowledge of game commands, which I view as the main issue here. The knowledge of basic chat commands, otherwise it's pretty simple and self-explanatory. You create a character, you either rent a car on the airport or just walk, you can follow the tutorial or not. The moment your character steps out of the airport terminal it's entirely yours and all people around ask you to do, is to act like the character. I doubt, it's hard. People seen enough movies and played enough games to know how to roleplay. The only difference between a new roleplayer and people with experience, is that they are more versed in storytelling.

Edited by Engelbert

It's all about portraying something as realistic as possible for the games limits. It may be intimidating, but if you're serious and dedicated. It's something that can come natural. It's all about staying in character, remaining serious, and exploring new opportunities. I've found making sure you have a general idea of what it is you're trying to roleplay, doing research to which you see fit, and then going based off that. 

You always want to make sure you're using proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling. That's something that can make, or break you... in my opinion.

If your english level isn't good enough, I'd recommend roleplaying a foreigner who doesn't know English very well. Then your mistakes would be disguised ICly. For the /me, I'd do some reserch in google about how to express the actions your character usually does.

• Upvote 1

I have a long RP experience, since I was playing on various SA:MP servers before.

I joined here and now I'm playing for a week, and I got my ass beated by admins four times already due to the actions that I did which would be totally okey on to do on other SA:MP servers. ?

On 6/16/2020 at 10:06 PM, RolexLV said:

I have a long RP experience, since I was playing on various SA:MP servers before.

I joined here and now I'm playing for a week, and I got my ass beated by admins four times already due to the actions that I did which would be totally okey on to do on other SA:MP servers. ?

Well that's maybe cause this server has different rules and policies?

• 2 weeks later...

imo you need to join a faction or at least try and associate yourself with one, the way you're going to do that is character development and a screenshot showcase.

It's very difficult to get anywhere without faction association, perhaps my experience has just been a one off but it's my feeling on the matter.