The problem of being new?

57 minutes ago, Captain said:

Very wholesome thread, let's try to set something up for people who are new to RP in general. Yes people are expected to know how to role play upon completing the application but this person is obviously communicating with us like a normal human being and it won't take long at all for them to learn how to role play to the standard of the server.

There is. They just have to ask or go to player guides.

It's a bunch of elitist, bro. It will never make sense why I see people bash new people like they do but it is what it is. If you have any questions about anything send me a message and I'll be more than happy to help you out. We all started somewhere so I understand where you're coming from especially due to the fact that this is literally one of the only English roleplay servers on Rage:MP that has a stable player base so of course people are going to want to play it regardless of they're roleplay standards but there's also people like you who are willing to put that foot forward towards learning. Give people some tips and pointers because how else do you expect them to improve? 

Edited by Batter Up
Just now, Batter Up said:

It's a bunch of elitist, bro. It will never make sense why I see people bash new people like they do but it is what it is. If you have any questions about anything send me a message and I'll be more than happy to help you out. We all started somewhere so I understand where you're coming from. 

Yeah, this. Elitism is a big problem, people who think their RP is incapable of being better and sit on their high horses. 

Everyone's been new at some point, if you're yet to achieve the standard here there are some amazing servers for training yourself.

• Upvote 1

Bro, the best part about this is you're willing to learn. That's something that will always get you far in anything. I'm new to this server, but I RP'ed on lsrp for years so if you need any help or tips fuck wit me. Hell, after taking a few years off I'm still getting the hang of it myself.

• Upvote 1
30 minutes ago, Kuma said:

Bro, the best part about this is you're willing to learn. That's something that will always get you far in anything. I'm new to this server, but I RP'ed on lsrp for years so if you need any help or tips fuck wit me. Hell, after taking a few years off I'm still getting the hang of it myself.

Thanks man, means a lot, just waiting to be unbanned at the moment lmao, 

This problem is a part of elitism and always has been. It's why you see often people from multiple community servers having similar positions of power. People in power love the status quo and preserving it. The shit falls down from the top and lands on people climbing up the ladder.

When I used to be a noob years ago, I joined an RP server, ninjajacked a guy and drove about. Didn't know shit about /b or anything.

But then a gamemaster tped to me, asked if I was new, and gave me a small guide on how to get started. If he hadn't done that, I likely would've just gotten banned and never played another GTA RP server again. And why would I go on their forums to per chance find and read several disconnected roleplaying guides of varying quality? Why would I possess the motivation after being so discourteously ejected?

The people who ban frequently are often these self-righteous and ultimately lazy elitists. I can see your English skills are far above the threshold, and your willingness to engage with the community and learn is quite evident.

They expect you to understand, have a 'basic understanding', when you come here. To them, the initial understanding which permits you into the server is of the framework of the server. The concepts of roleplay are simple at their core - it's the same as acting or writing a sole character with first and third person perspectives in mind, not hard stuff.  Again, a lot of these people think they are the best roleplayers and lack humility - so even if you attain a basic understanding of the framework, if you next end up roleplaying poorly for your first time, they will try to ban you for your quality, presumably because it upsets their entitled sense of immersion, rather than appeal to supposed community spirit.

You could join the server, be Patrick Stewart or Anthony Hopkins, and have no idea how to /b or /me or /do and you talk in the local IC chat for all of them for the first five minutes, and the lazy admin who summons you will probably ban instead of enlightening you.

True understanding, of frameworks, and concepts, can only come through experience and not be evoked instantly through some trick of language. The majority of staff here fail to realise this and would rather take five seconds to ban you than five minutes to help you.

Staff - why not launch interactive roleplay schools perhaps? Worked well on a past server I was in. Boosted the playerbase and faith in staff.

To me, the fact that admins can ban a player for "lack of experience" is just bad. Everyone's new at some point. I wasn't new to RP when I came here, but others are. A-lot of them adapt and learn, IF they aren't perma-banned right out of the gate lol. 

And, it's just RP it's not that deep lol but still think it's fucked to ban players for "lack of rp experience" cuz they probably came to the server to get "rp experience"

• Upvote 1
On 5/27/2020 at 5:24 PM, Luca Etienne said:

This is a great point:

I must admit after my ban on Friday I felt utterly disappointed, 30 hours In 4 days was the time I had spent Grinding In garbage collections, stores and other things to get a nice car and just over 100k in the bank. I didn't want to come back, I can only imagine that lots of people experience the same thing. Sometimes people make mistakes without knowing, specially if they are first time RP-ers.. the youtube face of roleplay is different to this.. I certainly wasn't expecting this level of RP... I'll get used to it, I'll certainly try hard or that will have been for nothing ?

I think, that for the better, in-game commands should be included in the application, simply because roleplaying doesn't really require much experience, if you have everything fleshed out. What's roleplaying on text servers? Writing, an ability to create a story or describe a situation using words. You don't need roleplaying experience for that. But then nearly every single roleplaying game out there actually uses commands, like /emote aka /me, /yell /shout /s.... Yep they are all out there in every single MMO you can find. Yes adminnistration already expects people to know these commands, simply because server is branded as heavy roleplay, which means, you don't start planning your character after you create it, it should be planned already. It may sound elitist, but trust me it is not. :)

Edited by Engelbert
2 hours ago, cracked said:

To me, the fact that admins can ban a player for "lack of experience" is just bad. Everyone's new at some point. I wasn't new to RP when I came here, but others are. A-lot of them adapt and learn, IF they aren't perma-banned right out of the gate lol. 

And, it's just RP it's not that deep lol but still think it's fucked to ban players for "lack of rp experience" cuz they probably came to the server to get "rp experience"

The people who dedicate the most time to it - who often happen to be leaders of the community and roleplay - must believe it to be deep because they dedicate an astronomical amount of their life to it, and that justifies this. To the majority, it's a fun escape.

1 hour ago, Engelbert said:

Yes adminnistration already expects people to know these commands, simply because server is branded as heavy roleplay, which means, you don't start planning your character after you create it, it should be planned already. It may sound elitist, but trust me it is not. ?

I don't think you should plan your entire character before you create it. The best progression, the most excitement, comes naturally.

Edited by Omnia
  • Upvote 1