What would you like to see? (27/SEP/2017)

ObZen

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regular police officers going to the courts

Not really feasible until server population grows. Going to result in long and drawn out processes over the simplest of things. Should be looked at after the server reaches a regular playerbase of over at least a hundred players. Also prevents every single cop from being drowned in paperwork.

Police cases and going to the judge

(This should not be necessary nor possible until the server has a playerbase of at least a hundred active players at peak times. You can't really justify having detectives if you've only got 6 cops online.) As far as paperwork goes (from a police point of view) it is always going to be there if you're investigating. I tried implementing a system while in charge of the detective bureau on another server that EVERY single casefile (regardless of the nature of the crime) should go in front of a judge. At the end of the day, detectives are held to a high standard and should not waste valuable time that could be spent RPing on writing something that's gonna end up in the archive. I think it is more than feasible to implement a system for all casefiles that are as follows:

Police investigates > writes up casefile > sends it to DoJ for processing (or does this part himself while server pop is still low) > prosecutor (or see former) presents case to judge > trial begins.

This way there can be no arguement over the quality of police cases and the police having a monopoly on their trade, since at the end of the day, there is a truely independent player that decides their guilt. A player that can be equally influenced by both sides. 

CSI (Camera's, fingerprints etc.)

CSI is tricky because it depends on the amount of preparation a (criminal) player wants to go through. There should be set rules (OOC) server-wide which dictate what can be forced and what can't be forced. Things such as camera's which are actually physically there go a long way to prevent unnecessary discussions about realism and having fun. Should not be too complicated and simple for players to understand to ensure as little (OOC) discussion out there as possible. This also ensures that things aren't overcomplicated for admins. They will have simple guidelines to reference when they arbitrate an OOC discussion.. It is vital that this system is BALANCED so neither side of the coin is overpowered in any sense.

Police-DOJ relations

The detective bureau and DOJ's prosecutors should be BFF's as they are in real life. This should be encouraged from the start and any issues between them litigated by the city government. This was executed poorly on the community I was previously a member of and we should strive to ensure this never becomes an issue. A little rivalry is okay, but that is as far as it should go. Detectives build a case > DoJ prosecutes. No bullshit about ''confidentiality'' this and that. They should have full disclosure as soon as a (faction) investigation is ready for prosecution. DoJ on the other hand should not abuse their authority and be receptive to criticism / wishes coming from the police force. In essence, the two should work as equals as far as city government is concerned.

Furthermore,

I agree with Stefan. Excessive paperwork is something we should not be looking for at the launch date. It's something that should be implemented slowly and bit by bit as the server develops. For now, even something as simple as patrol reports filed after a session should be more than enough.

Edited by Big_Smokes
Spoiler

Double reply to your other post. Thanks for both.

I'm not sure what the LSPD is doing detective-wise, but I know there are individuals interested in helping. I'd think that all the paperwork/documents for running a detective program should be ready by the time the LSPD/LSFD are ready to expand to two stations. By that time we may be at the point where we can put all case files on a judge's desk and expect it to be handled in a reasonable + timely manner. 

Right now the only thing that loosely resembles the DOJ is the City Attorney's Office. The idea is that this team could present on behalf of the city (and the LSPD) to the courts. Right now it could be something as simple as Investigation > Casefile (w/ Involvement towards the end by the City Attorney or Asst.) > Presentation. I totally agree with Police-Everyone relations.

Our goal here is to create a government that warrants (mutual) trust and respect in the ability to do it's job, unlike what we've seen on other servers. 

Edited by ObZen
On 04/10/2017 at 10:45 AM, Big_Smokes said:

Police cases and going to the judge

(This should not be necessary nor possible until the server has a playerbase of at least a hundred active players at peak times. You can't really justify having detectives if you've only got 6 cops online.) As far as paperwork goes (from a police point of view) it is always going to be there if you're investigating. I tried implementing a system while in charge of the detective bureau on another server that EVERY single casefile (regardless of the nature of the crime) should go in front of a judge. At the end of the day, detectives are held to a high standard and should not waste valuable time that could be spent RPing on writing something that's gonna end up in the archive. I think it is more than feasible to implement a system for all casefiles that are as follows:

Police investigates > writes up casefile > sends it to DoJ for processing (or does this part himself while server pop is still low) > prosecutor (or see former) presents case to judge > trial begins.

This way there can be no arguement over the quality of police cases and the police having a monopoly on their trade, since at the end of the day, there is a truely independent player that decides their guilt. A player that can be equally influenced by both sides. 

CSI (Camera's, fingerprints etc.)

CSI is tricky because it depends on the amount of preparation a (criminal) player wants to go through. There should be set rules (OOC) server-wide which dictate what can be forced and what can't be forced. Things such as camera's which are actually physically there go a long way to prevent unnecessary discussions about realism and having fun. Should not be too complicated and simple for players to understand to ensure as little (OOC) discussion out there as possible. This also ensures that things aren't overcomplicated for admins. They will have simple guidelines to reference when they arbitrate an OOC discussion.. It is vital that this system is BALANCED so neither side of the coin is overpowered in any sense.

Police-DOJ relations

The detective bureau and DOJ's prosecutors should be BFF's as they are in real life. This should be encouraged from the start and any issues between them litigated by the city government. This was executed poorly on the community I was previously a member of and we should strive to ensure this never becomes an issue. A little rivalry is okay, but that is as far as it should go. Detectives build a case > DoJ prosecutes. No bullshit about ''confidentiality'' this and that. They should have full disclosure as soon as a (faction) investigation is ready for prosecution. DoJ on the other hand should not abuse their authority and be receptive to criticism / wishes coming from the police force. In essence, the two should work as equals as far as city government is concerned.

I honestly think that CSI shouldn't be something orchestrated OOCly. Of course, there should be some rules in regards to CCTV's and cameras. If the CCTV script will be similar to the one on LSRP, I hope they will be mapped in the game, to avoid potential issues. DASHCAM's need both party consents,, and body cameras imo shouldn't be that much of a thing since it's super OP (unless it's a swat breach).

But fingerprints? I honestly think that if they failed to roleplay gloves, it should be on them, same for gunshot residue.  I don't think it's fair to allow ANYONE to willy-nilly say "I'm not forced to roleplay this".

At the end of the day however, I think it's more of a Server Administration decision but I hope ObZen puts our ideas forward.

I also super like Felicity's idea about being able to do paperwork in-game, but I'm not sure how feasible it is script wise.

Since there will be no DOJ(atleast for now), with the closest thing being the City Attorney's, will these be appointed by the Mayor's Office or City Council?

In addition, there should be a system to certify private attorney's / give license to practice.

On 04/10/2017 at 8:06 PM, ObZen said:

I think a lot of things on the investigative side will need script support, and exactly what can be done about that remains to be seen, but it would be great to have actual evidence collected and presented in court.

Right now only the City Officers under the Mayor are chosen by him or her. This means that the City Attorney, for example, is selected by the Mayor and approved by the City Council, but once selected, the City Attorney can hire additional assistants under their own office which do not need approval.

We're working on a state bar exam atm.

On 10/2/2017 at 5:57 AM, ObZen said:

lawyer manning

I'm game, especially if you're over here. This guy doesn't suck, fellas.

On 10/8/2017 at 4:09 AM, the_criserk said:

will these be appointed by the Mayor's Office or City Council

General assumption would likely be appointment by Mayor's Office, confirmation by City Council?

On 10/8/2017 at 4:09 AM, the_criserk said:

In addition, there should be a system to certify private attorney's / give license to practice.

Free reign shouldn't be given, obviously. However, having a massive exam for the Bar Association would likely deter a lot of folks. Some of us are okay with going through such a process, but even competent individuals sometimes aren't interested in this sort of thing (especially at a community's launch) if it will be gated behind a huge and tedious process. As Ob said above, we'll need some bodies of at least a few folks competent in jurisprudence that are looking to devote themselves to the task before going about laying down this sort of thing.

The Bar should be a public organization, or business in my opinion, not a purely Government group. Presiding chairpersons should be elected from within and so on.

Edited by Hollywood
3 hours ago, Rukka said:

I was never a fan of the long winded exam from previous servers regarding state bar. I always wanted to get involved within the legal system however having to fill out such a long exam was time consuming and not worth while in my opinion.

Maybe something more practical would work out better, a mock trial IG, maybe.

21 hours ago, ObZen said:

Maybe something more practical would work out better, a mock trial IG, maybe.

I think a simplistic written portion could work, let's say a few multiple choice questions to review a person's knowledge of basic legal terminology and maybe a brief written portion where the player is prompted to explore certain choice aspects of constitutional rights...but nothing to the extent of an essay or massive undertaking.

Mock trials would be brilliant, something I have always longed to see in previous RP endeavors but weren't regarded with any real merit. 

Edited by Hollywood