Criminal Role Play

borhoi

I disagree that the entire server's mostly filled with illegal RPers, if anything it's just filled with law-abiding citizens. Do people break the law from time to time? Sure, who doesn't? It doesn't classify anyone as an illegal RPer whatsoever if they're foundation of character development is literal Civ RP.

People need to think outside of the box instead of just relying on the script to do everything for them. If you have a unique idea, just go about it however which-way you can, but sitting around and saying "oh, I can't do anything because there's not a command ingame" is just outplayed.

Criminal RP isn't that bad as people are making it out to be at the moment, at least in South LS. There are a few bundles of people who take things way too far when it comes to confrontation, but it isn't a widespread thing that's going down and shouldn't generalize the entire scene. More or less, most people I've seen have problems with it are the people who don't even involve themselves in Illegal RP as much.

Gang bangers are human beings, the more people fiend for the Cops & Robbers mentality it just makes things a lot more harder for the people in the scene. If people can't refrain from acting tough 24/7, catching bodies every single day, and refuse to just have respectable Character Development then they shouldn't be anywhere near Criminal RP in itself. Stick to clubbing every day of the week if that's the last resort.

The "chea" thing needs to die out, and the overuse of apostrophes needs too aswell. There's a fine line when you're just spitting lingo and just sounding like a complete idiot. Not every word has to be broken down to a crisp. If you aren't portraying a foreigner that's splurging out broken english or possessing a severe lisp in the mouth, then just stop because it's just leaning into the stereotypical side at that point.

There's nothing appealing with someone saying "chea', i'm wi' dim' neggas' ova' thurr'."

Edited by varrio bangin
  • Applaud 1
19 hours ago, Topiyo said:

Role play is like being an actor from a cheap theatre. If you don't enjoy role playing a character, you'd be better off locating a cops vs robbers server.

These general discussion topics aren't productive. The critiques of criminal RP should band together to form a faction. That way you can set the standard for how role play should be and perhaps that'll influence others to improve.

??

On 12/6/2019 at 5:53 AM, Barriss said:

A lot of criminal RP at times is almost inherently not RP.

A lot of criminal RP I personally encounter has always been rather explicit rp such as; "torture" - "hitmen" - "abuse" and sometimes even rape. I'm not going to lie to you all and say I completely understand gang/mafia/group/criminal rp because I don't and I never have done, however, I do find that sometimes the RP provided by small groups or gangs have come across quite harshly.

An example of rather unexplained/uncoordinated RP would be that I got robbed and nearly killed IG for a reason I can't justify and I understand that robbing someone isn't directly linked to criminal group rp, however, I initially thought that robberies were premeditated, however, I'm aware that it's not.

On the other hand, I have a lot of respect for those who are consistent with their RP and provide screenshots to show the development of their characters so we can't primarily look at the cons because some of the pros do outweigh the cons. And from my experience especially with the Serbian gang/mafia they do their best to present a realistic portrayal of their group and their intentions - something mysterious about gangs/mafia is something I thoroughly enjoy, however, as aforementioned it's clear that sometimes RP overall, including those who aren't RPing a criminal can be ambiguous. And we all need to get out of the mindset that gangs/mafia's are constantly looking to commit crimes. It's been brought to my attention that a lot of players think that they are actively seeking to commit petty thefts or trying to find a reason to kill, it's not the case I don't think and that's presented clearly in their Roleplay threads.

It's a given that RP can always improve and that goes for all type of RP but we shouldn't really be focusing on the negative side constantly, try and promote both positive and negative,

On 12/6/2019 at 1:39 PM, borhoi said:

I’m not going to sit here and preach “realism” on this issue, it’s just bad character development. 

You could argue that's the case with everyone, I'll use myself as an example, minimum people know about my character and I don't portray an open character, it takes time to gradually get to know someone, but you could argue to some extent that it's bad character development because it's not obvious at first instinct on what the character's mindset is thinking, planning or even trying to portray. Sometimes it takes longer than you expect to learn about a character and @Jax can confirm that.

On 12/6/2019 at 1:39 PM, borhoi said:

But ultimately when it comes to drugs I think a lot of the failure falls on us the players. While I understand one might be hesitant to partake in the use of narcotics in real life, your in a virtual world there is no risk to your IRL health if you rail coke all day on the server and hey, you might even like that nice increase in HP. At least allow your character the experience of experimenting with drugs. 

Drugs is a questionable topic as it needs the research into it if you're planning to take drugs to be it: Cocaine, Weed, Heroin etc you need to read up on side-effects, aftermath and what it would be like if you constantly abused these drugs, it's necessary if you want to portray what you class as a "realistic" character - does this if you don't do the research make your character development ultimately bad? That's not for me to decide but I can agree to an extent that it should be necessary that research is done prior to participating in drugs, however, it's not the end of the world if it's not.

On 12/6/2019 at 4:36 AM, borhoi said:

I am vehemently against anything that dumbs these processes down even further and makes it even more unrealistically easy for criminal role players to do cookie cutter unrealistic crimes.

Ultimately, you don't have a say over what someone else does to portray their character and really if you had an issue with them you should keep it to yourself, if they're actively breaking the rules I'd suggest taking it to the complaints section but don't denounce these people for your own opinion on them.

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 2
On 12/10/2019 at 5:45 PM, Topiyo said:

Role play is like being an actor from a cheap theatre. If you don't enjoy role playing a character, you'd be better off locating a cops vs robbers server.

These general discussion topics aren't productive. The critiques of criminal RP should band together to form a faction. That way you can set the standard for how role play should be and perhaps that'll influence others to improve.

I'm just going to quote Topiyo. At this point, these threads just aren't productive and are a general waste of peoples times. If you want to improve criminal roleplay, don't complain about it on the forums. Go out, make a criminal character, and get to work. That's how we improve by setting a example for others.

most people don't know how to role play crime, gangs or OCGs well. they resort to the set standard approach of either robbing, beating someone up or being overly aggressive to someone. criminal role play is what you make of it, there's a plethora of routes to take, but the creativity mostly isn't there for people. 

also, the important factor is that 80% of the server (who roleplay criminal) never actually take their characters into consideration — what their motives are, why they're doing it, why they were brought up this way, why they resulted to crime, why they're doing what they're doing with other people, what they're trying to get out of it. 

it's no secret that this server is less criminal and more legal as of current (which isn't a bad thing per se) which leads to people eventually trying out role playing crime to a higher degree (see above) and doing it badly and leaving a bad taste in peoples mouths, simply because they've never done it or seen it from someone who is good at it.

i strongly believe an individual needs to follow someone good to be good, and if you follow someone bad you're going to end up bad. it will take time, but eventually gangs, OCGs and more criminal characters will arise and do the role play well. rome wasn't built in a day

A lot of things people who only do legal rp seem to not understand is half the people who give crime rp a bad name aren’t in any factions. They’re usually 2 or 3 players who claim to be in a gang and go around robbing and shooting people for no reason. Don’t rope in established factions to that, because nervous and the rest of the faction management are usually strict with roleplaying gangs and criminal factions. 

• Applaud 1