Criminal Role Play

borhoi

I think one of the main issues people having staring in from the outside is that most of the times the gangs just aren't appealing. There's no soul or character to them and it devolves Into just 'we live on these four houses so we gang now.' Theres nothing unique to most of them, people get shit on for trying to make a 'Ballas' faction or whatever the SP gang was called but honestly even if we had them they'd still not really be anything different to what we do have. Also I think a lot of people like to read the reports because we're nosy, it's like slowing down to see a car crash or watching police shows on TV. When the majority of reports are summed up as 'gang shot my gang so report' it's so boringly dry and the responses range from being a smug cunt or so caustic to one another that it just sets a bad precedent. From what I'm told (though wouldn't be able to back it up) most gangs end up being the same group of people cycling characters rather than any new blood. It's probably because people see how they treat one another OOCLY and the rampant issues in the player reports section that they just go 'fuck it'. 

Like places being extorted by bikers who literally go inside a food joint, get turned down and then MURDER one of the workers for it. Or someone being pushed down the stairs in there own place after telling them no while trying to extort them Infront of everyone in a half filled restaurant and then running out the door before people can respond. No one wants to take you seriously because most of you treat it like GTAO with a little bit of writing or a Gmod DarkRP server. The problem is mostly the people, can sugar coat it as 'script issues' all you like. 

6 minutes ago, nwah_ said:

I don't know what you're expecting out of criminal roleplay or factions, they're not animals committing crime after crime with no other things going on in their lives. They're portraying real criminals with real world problems. It's not all just gang fighting and crime, there's external factors that attribute to the characters, like a pregnancy scare, or a party over at a friend's house. I'd be more concerned if those things weren't part of people's roleplay, no one goes through life without adversities from family, or having a fun time with friends. It'd just make each character into a stone called DM machine or something.

Sure, but that type of RP should be used to smash the monotony and shake things up, not be the main thing that's RP-ed. Sure every gang banger is a human being but the way I see things on the forums? Every 3rd or 4th screenshot is either a pregnancy scare, some type of mental breakdown or insane soap opera-type conflict. It reminds me of a faction I won't name on a community I won;t name, And I do agree that most people seem to not know how to portray gang members. I've had interactions with enough of these people IG to realize that something is definitely off. Their manner of speech, their vernacular, the absolute spam of apostrophes, their general demeanor and attitude... None of it is realistic. And sure, you can argue that you're free to roleplay your character how you want but whenever I interact with some of the biggest street gangs on the server right now I feel like I'm interacting with a 15yr old East European that's listened to N.W.A or Snoop Dogg twice. A lot of shit people portray is outdated or flat out wrong and the absolute hunger to report each other is the cherry on top.

• Upvote 2
11 minutes ago, DeadPlaya said:

Sure, but that type of RP should be used to smash the monotony and shake things up, not be the main thing that's RP-ed. Sure every gang banger is a human being but the way I see things on the forums? Every 3rd or 4th screenshot is either a pregnancy scare, some type of mental breakdown or insane soap opera-type conflict. It reminds me of a faction I won't name on a community I won;t name, And I do agree that most people seem to not know how to portray gang members. I've had interactions with enough of these people IG to realize that something is definitely off. Their manner of speech, their vernacular, the absolute spam of apostrophes, their general demeanor and attitude... None of it is realistic. And sure, you can argue that you're free to roleplay your character how you want but whenever I interact with some of the biggest street gangs on the server right now I feel like I'm interacting with a 15yr old East European that's listened to N.W.A or Snoop Dogg twice. A lot of shit people portray is outdated or flat out wrong and the absolute hunger to report each other is the cherry on top.

While on topic of non properly roleplayed gang members. How do we really fix that? I’m pretty safe to say that no one in this community is a real life gangbanger so how would they know how to 1:1 roleplay one? The people who roleplay gang members use what they’ve seen on the internet/researched to mold their character and as we all know the internet isn’t the best source of information and it is very likely most of those people listen to rap music and try to portray what they’ve seen in music videos. The whole report shabang I consider ridiculous too, if a rule is clearly broken then sure, but it seems there’s a report after every shootout which I question, both sides should use the situation as a form of developing their character and the story onwards.

2 hours ago, Midnight Tick said:

Most of the factions have a vibe of telenovela, and Second Life. Like, damn, I want to join something fun and engaging, not a faction that posts screenshots of relationship problems, pregnancy tests or sauce fests at someone's house. The characters really look like coming out of Second Life, looking all prettied up or like a model. I'm not talking about women characters, but dudes from the ghetto. It's fine if your character is metrosexual, but a whole gang full of them is odd. There's not much going on outside of that, and the good ol' killing and the emo phase right after. There's not much variety on the every day scenario, it's just... telenovela content.

Factions just don't look attractive to my eye, but that might be just me.

Then again, truth be told, the average gangster isn't an emotionless mass-murderer that executed twenty individuals per week. Behind the Hip Hop music and World Star videos, these individuals have human emotions and lives. Their daily life consists of these minor events, exceeding beyond turf wars and brawls.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, gachette said:

While on topic of non properly roleplayed gang members. How do we really fix that? I’m pretty safe to say that no one in this community is a real life gangbanger so how would they know how to 1:1 roleplay one? The people who roleplay gang members use what they’ve seen on the internet/researched to mold their character and as we all know the internet isn’t the best source of information and it is very likely most of those people listen to rap music and try to portray what they’ve seen in music videos. 

Interviews, biographies, articles online, etc. That's probably the best way to research, really. What I'm seeing is just a general lack of initiative and confrontation. All gang bangers have is this image, this facade they put up where they're all strong, tough and fearless. When people test it, it's not uncommon for a fight to break out. I've seen countless people roleplaying gang-bangers being insanely soft and not acting out the way they should. You could argue that that's just how they roleplay their character but even if that were the case, I haven't seen other people RP the consequences. (getting regulated or at least picked on for being soft) And people roleplaying these types of characters should be a minority. I'm definitely not saying everyone should pick fights all the time n be all tough but that's the general image that a gang member tries to put on display.

The horrible vernacular and speech patterns also fuck up the immersion, too.

13 hours ago, DeadPlaya said:

Interviews, biographies, articles online, etc. That's probably the best way to research, really. What I'm seeing is just a general lack of initiative and confrontation. All gang bangers have is this image, this facade they put up where they're all strong, tough and fearless. When people test it, it's not uncommon for a fight to break out. I've seen countless people roleplaying gang-bangers being insanely soft and not acting out the way they should. You could argue that that's just how they roleplay their character but even if that were the case, I haven't seen other people RP the consequences. (getting regulated or at least picked on for being soft) And people roleplaying these types of characters should be a minority. I'm definitely not saying everyone should pick fights all the time n be all tough but that's the general image that a gang member tries to put on display.

The horrible vernacular and speech patterns also fuck up the immersion, too.

I see people getting picked on for being soft all the time in South LS though... many people being checked on streets etc

Like being called a phony and that you’re not down for the set cause you don’t want to partake in something that could result in a life sentence for your character 

Edited by aldo
8 hours ago, aldo said:

I see people getting picked on for being soft all the time in South LS though... many people being checked on streets etc

Like being called a phony and that you’re not down for the set cause you don’t want to partake in something that could result in a life sentence for your character 

While gun violence is most definitely a real thing when it comes to the the south side some people take it to an extreme. While a young gang banger might be quick to use his gun he probably isn’t looking for a reason to use it. 

heard about a group of Mexican characters who have been just opening fire on random black characters when they drive down their street because “it’s our turf”. 

there’s no problem with establishing turf and keeping it to yourself but this isn’t a third world country. There are other ways to make it known that a certain street or area is yours besides shooting at people for driving down a street that you’ve only been RPing on for 3 days.

i think Rollin’ 60’s do a good job of maintaining a turf. They’ll sit in their driveway or in the alleyway and for the most part mind their own business. But if your stopping or acting sus? They’ll make it very clear that their turf is not a place to just stop or creep through. Seaside ABZ also does a great job but they aren’t in Davis.

One of the issues that keep arising is people don’t want to join the factions currently present on the server. Not because those factions aren’t good, it’s because people want to do things they’re way. If someone doesn’t wanna do the app or apps are closed? People will just spring up groups of 6 or 7 character anywhere they can find apartments and a street corner.

15 minutes ago, Henning said:

While gun violence is most definitely a real thing when it comes to the the south side some people take it to an extreme. While a young gang banger might be quick to use his gun he probably isn’t looking for a reason to use it. 

heard about a group of Mexican characters who have been just opening fire on random black characters when they drive down their street because “it’s our turf”. 

there’s no problem with establishing turf and keeping it to yourself but this isn’t a third world country. There are other ways to make it known that a certain street or area is yours besides shooting at people for driving down a street that you’ve only been RPing on for 3 days.

i think Rollin’ 60’s do a good job of maintaining a turf. They’ll sit in their driveway or in the alleyway and for the most part mind their own business. But if your stopping or acting sus? They’ll make it very clear that their turf is not a place to just stop or creep through. Seaside ABZ also does a great job but they aren’t in Davis.

One of the issues that keep arising is people don’t want to join the factions currently present on the server. Not because those factions aren’t good, it’s because people want to do things they’re way. If someone doesn’t wanna do the app or apps are closed? People will just spring up groups of 6 or 7 character anywhere they can find apartments and a street corner.

Appreciate that bro, and yeah we actually want civilian residents in our area, that's something we encourage, just like Bounty Hunters and ABZ

Role play is like being an actor from a cheap theatre. If you don't enjoy role playing a character, you'd be better off locating a cops vs robbers server.

These general discussion topics aren't productive. The critiques of criminal RP should band together to form a faction. That way you can set the standard for how role play should be and perhaps that'll influence others to improve.

• Upvote 2