The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

1 hour ago, HerpToTheDerp said:

I still don't see how it's an OOC issue. You can log off wherever you want without despawning your vehicle without any sort of repercussions. I get crashing and coming back in like half an hour or an hour even but if someone crashes or quits and doesn't come back in game that's an IC issue now in my opinion. 

If you play a competitive game and your internet goes out it doesn't stop, it continues. And if it's a ranked game you get punished in some way even if it's not your fault. I feel the same logic should apply here. If I'm in the middle of the road and my ISP cuts out for the rest of the day my car should get impounded, even if it is inconvenient for me. 

That's just my two cents. I don't want to report and wait for half an hour for an admin to respond because it ruins a scene I'm in or any immersion. But so does trying to drive around a car every few blocks. 

I'll just live with it I suppose. 

For one, I don't think an admin will take half an hour to respond to such a petty situation.

Second, I cannot comprehend how you just compared a competetive ranked game to a roleplay game, you're a legend.

Third, It is not an IC issue if someone crashes and their car is in middle of the road, but we still take our time and generally park it to the side.

Fourth, at times we do not have manpower to deal with issues like please move the car from the road, if we have 3 different high priority calls - this takes up our whole manforce and we're unable to attend small issues like this, you can be mad about it all you want but that's how it is.

This is a thread about interaction with PD and not complaning how they're not solving OOC issues in the server, which they're not meant to. image.thumb.png.5b53ff17fa8aed40473f468ff0ffa073.png

Lastly, if a game admin tells you that it's an OOC issue, then it's an OOC issue.

Edited by Rohan.
18 minutes ago, Rohan. said:

For one, I don't think an admin will take half an hour to respond to such a petty situation.

Second, I cannot comprehend how you just compared a competetive ranked game to a roleplay game, you're a legend.

Third, It is not an IC issue if someone crashes and their car is in middle of the road, but we still take our time and generally park it to the side.

Fourth, at times we do not have manpower to deal with issues like please move the car from the road, if we have 3 different high priority calls - this takes up our whole manforce and we're unable to attend small issues like this, you can be mad about it all you want but that's how it is.

This is a thread about interaction with PD and not complaning how they're not solving OOC issues in the server, which they're not meant to. image.thumb.png.5b53ff17fa8aed40473f468ff0ffa073.png

Lastly, if a game admin tells you that it's an OOC issue, then it's an OOC issue.

It has taken up to half an hour (sometimes longer) for admins to respond to both my and other people's reports. I'm speaking from experience here. They're busy dealing with other stuff it's not their fault but it makes me not want to report just to have them move a car obviously if I have to wait that long. 

I'm not comparing the server to a competitive game it was an example. Please pay attention before you throw petty insults around. I realize you're in PD but please act civil and look at both sides of the argument. If you're going to respond on behalf of your faction make them look good. I'm giving my criticism here and just because you disagree doesn't give you a right to harass me. 

I had also commented on other parts of PD earlier. I realize this is obviously something that will never get solved by PD or the admins so we'll just live with it as we are already. Enough said. 

25 minutes ago, HerpToTheDerp said:

It has taken up to half an hour (sometimes longer) for admins to respond to both my and other people's reports. I'm speaking from experience here. They're busy dealing with other stuff it's not their fault but it makes me not want to report just to have them move a car obviously if I have to wait that long. 

I'm not comparing the server to a competitive game it was an example. Please pay attention before you throw petty insults around. I realize you're in PD but please act civil and look at both sides of the argument. If you're going to respond on behalf of your faction make them look good. I'm giving my criticism here and just because you disagree doesn't give you a right to harass me. 

I had also commented on other parts of PD earlier. I realize this is obviously something that will never get solved by PD or the admins so we'll just live with it as we are already. Enough said. 

Maybe the police need a support faction for parking tickets and towing cars off the street so people start actually paying attention to where their parking.

33 minutes ago, Rohan. said:

This is a thread about interaction with PD and not complaning how they're not solving OOC issues in the server, which they're not meant to.

Maybe it should be an IC issue. Just because an OOC thing causes it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be treated ICly. There are numerous circumstances and cases where individuals had desync roleplayed out because it caused a traffic accident. It also goes without saying that with admins being so busy (they literally have so much on their plate, you can't reasonably expect responses quickly enough during peak periods), they might have to take something else which has clear priority. 

It also can't be distinguished whether or not a vehicle abandoned in the road is due to the player crashing, really bad roleplay, or something that happened ICly, like a stolen vehicle being abandoned. What you suggest is that I could leave my truck in the road ICly, and noone except an admin should act like it exists, because it's nearly impossible to differentiate a player crash vs. abandonment of a vehicle without getting out of your vehicle and approaching it, which is already a breach of IC.

6 hours ago, Rohan. said:

There is a tell about cars who's owner has crashed. The engine is on and we can lock/unlock it via script and move it to side of the road. This is all considered OOC and we're not meant to do it, but we still do it.

Not to be rude, but who is "we"? I see a large number of vehicles in the road every time I play. I could drive into LS right now and probably count on two hands just by going down like 6 roads coming off Vespucci, the amount of vehicles just left in the road (including bicycles). If "we" exists, they're not consistent.

It might also stimulate some additional roleplay to delegate this to police or a towing company. If a crashed player's vehicle is towed to a lot (you don't even have to fine them), the player has to search for a taxi or other method of riding to the lot to retrieve their vehicle, and if they are fined, they also have to address the tickets. As it stands, I've literally seen one traffic related ticket being issued in my time of playing (which started two and a half months ago), and it was yesterday for an illegally parked car and invalid registration. It was a 7,500$ fine. I'm sure a majority of players could handle this ICly, and it just makes the PD seem more active if they're out there doing ANYTHING other than (by appearances) only responding to "Shots Fired" calls.

That would be my suggestion; get the police towing cars again. Even the ones that are just abandoned in the road from a player crash. The more diversity in RP we see (even if it stems from things that occur OOCly, like desync - which is played out by some, mind you), the more intact the verisimilitude of the server is. It also saves some admins the hassle of despawning vehicles when they've got other, more important stuff going on. Peak hours are hectic.

43 minutes ago, Thesekar said:

As it stands, I've literally seen one traffic related ticket being issued in my time of playing (which started two and a half months ago), and it was yesterday for an illegally parked car and invalid registration. It was a 7,500$ fine.

This is just a perspective issue, really. Traffic in particular writes tickets like it's going out of style. The lack of towing is probably because not many people like actually doing it, nor do many people actually like dealing with having their car towed.

1 minute ago, Pillowy said:

This is just a perspective issue, really. Traffic in particular writes tickets like it's going out of style. The lack of towing is probably because not many people like actually doing it, nor do many people actually like dealing with having their car towed.

See, that's a problem in and of itself. I understand my perspective is narrow, as I don't have a PD character, and I don't park illegally (so I don't see my own vehicles getting ticketed), however people shouldn't be afraid to do something because it's not liked. If we just avoided doing things because we didn't like doing them, then there'd be huge gaps in the server's roleplay (which there actually is in some factions, especially the legal ones. People joke about cops preferring shootouts because the paperwork is significantly less than other scenes).

I might not like having my truck towed, but I would agree that towing my truck if I crashed and decided against coming back and parking it before actually head off for the night would be an appropriate response, because my truck would be blocking traffic, even if the reason for it doing so is OOC, it has an IC impact, so it should be treated ICly.

1 hour ago, Thesekar said:

See, that's a problem in and of itself. I understand my perspective is narrow, as I don't have a PD character, and I don't park illegally (so I don't see my own vehicles getting ticketed), however people shouldn't be afraid to do something because it's not liked. If we just avoided doing things because we didn't like doing them, then there'd be huge gaps in the server's roleplay (which there actually is in some factions, especially the legal ones. People joke about cops preferring shootouts because the paperwork is significantly less than other scenes).

I might not like having my truck towed, but I would agree that towing my truck if I crashed and decided against coming back and parking it before actually head off for the night would be an appropriate response, because my truck would be blocking traffic, even if the reason for it doing so is OOC, it has an IC impact, so it should be treated ICly.

As an active member of the traffic division I'd like to add that we do tow cars that are in the midst of the road and block or obstruct the flow of traffic. However when do we decide someone is not coming back? Do I put a timer on? Cause I would hate for us to put effort, getting a tow truck and hook a car up and then told by an admin the owner returned and to void the whole thing. It's a waste of time and one of the reasons why we, and mostly I would be reluctant to do such things. However if by chance I've seen the car sitting there for an hour, hey I'd tow it. But it would still have to be there for a while before I'd act on it. 

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, Thesekar said:

Well, let me just chime in to say as someone who got most of his ride-alongs with Traffic Unit cops this month, they have a fairly relaxed assessment for how to deal with parking/traffic violations. In the way that they don't pursue the highest form of punishment every time: they let their character form an opinion of the situation, so in other words they're not towing your car right away for something petty.

That being said, paperwork seems to be a major part of their duties with towing coming close second, and while no one burns to change to the tow truck temporarily, it's not something people run away from, either.

tl;dr, they do when they have to, i haven't seen any unhealthy behavior. all seemed within the realm of common sense to me.

//

Just wanna give a shoutout to people from last night: Lynn Yinyang (sorry if I misspelt that), Cody Bonaventura, Matthew Figueroa, Russell Mosley (might be remembering the name wrong), Carlos Medina and his POI.

You guys were amazing.

(sorry if I've missed anyone from last night, yall gr8)

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic