Roleplay Isolation Discussion

Viscaria

as a member of the division of adult parole operation's command team id like to invite female jail (or anyone for that matter) characters to reach out to me on discord at radreaper100 or airwalk or frakkennewguy for the sake of securing parole or probation in circumstances where you're imprisoned, or just want to interact with a case handler and parole agent more.

we can get you on the right track to start the process

Edited by radreaper100
  • Upvote 2

I see few issues here.

1 - balancing gameplay fun with realism is never easy.

2- Roleplay is collective fun yes, but your own narrative is your own. People argue that isolation doesn't add anything to their story.

It does, it shapes your character. Same could be said about erp or daily robberies or stumbling upon Xth dead body somewhere.

It's all part of a bigger picture (Actually not sure about the erp, but to each their own 🙂 ). 48 hours hold is sure lot of time, but then people rarely wait for anything, anyway. I never played in PD or SD, but I know, that putting a case together is a risky business, cause usually by the time it's ready, said suspect is already CK'd or reported. Said hold could prevent that in my opnion. 

3 - Female prison isn't as barren as people think it is. Including those who were there. It depends on few factors, first is Discord, second is the time of the day.

I spent 5 days in TTCF as a female and not once was I completely alone there. Mostly thanks to SD discord, but still. We don't have thousands of players on the server.

So expecting populated areas in real life to be populated in the game, is not good approach. We have to work with what we have. That said, even if you are alone.

You can still roleplay. The sentence runs out faster if you are logged in and roleplay something.

• Upvote 1

In my personal opinion, I think that isolation in any instance should be a last resort. With that being said, I still think that it is necessary for the most part. I haven't done too much prison RP, so take this with a grain of salt. But I can imagine that segregation/PC serves its purpose for the most part. In the case of people being put in seg, i'm assuming their own actions put them there in the first place. The natural escalation of punishment in those cases seem fair. You get put into gen pop for most crimes anyway, and there is your RP. If you misbehave or don't follow the rules while inside of prison, the punishment is that you get isolated. Just like IRL, it obviously isn't pleasant. But someone is presumably willing to role-play breaking the rules and take the risk, so it falls on them. I'm empathetic to the fact that it's just a game, but in my opinion, without it there would be no incentive to follow the rules.

Similar issues arose when people would evade on a much more consistent basis in the past due to the lax consequences related to evading police, for example. The reward outweighed the risks, so it had to be changed. To be fair, it really isn't all that much of a punishment to be put into isolation aside from "I subject you to a day or two of boredom". Which in that case, as someone else stated, just hop on an alt and take a little break in the mean time. Or simply enough, don't commit crime if you can't do the time.

For 48h holds, I agree with Rylee. It is a necessary evil. As a former detective I've had to utilize it many times in order to dot my i's and cross my t's. I usually only reserved it for high-risk individuals who might flee otherwise, or for interrogations/cooperation on long-term cases that required them to be detained. Typically there is a good reason as to why they're being put on a hold. It's inherently designed to avoid unnecessary, prolonged detention since it's only 48h max, or less if the handling officer/detective resolves any pending issues beforehand. 

For PC or female prison, the issue is a little more complicated. I don't know too much about this particular type of role-play, but my suggestion could be perhaps to dedicate a specific group within the SADCR to make it a priority to engage with isolated groups in prison more often. This could be met with some type of internal incentive for those that go out of their way to create unique role-play for isolated groups on a regular basis. Parole can and should be used when it makes sense ICly though.

• Upvote 2

You can get those 48 hours out of spite, and in the end they'd just say that the investigation had no leads. Some consequences on the cop's end? I don't care if you spend hours writing reports, you signed in for that, and our characters are not catered to be your NPCs. They should reduce it to 12 hours best, and 24 if exigent circumstances entail. 

Remember, those are 48 hours you can't reduce by roleplaying like normal prison sentences. Just because the selection process and quality enforcement are allegedly more strict for LEOs, it doesn't mean they're unbiased or devoid of any bad traits that other players have.

Edited by munnezza
  • Upvote 2
10 hours ago, Viscaria said:

This is a very valid point especially with the parole suggestion, however more often than not, if there's evidence that can be moved there are going to be calls made from prison or with their one phone call (I think that's still a thing?) and should the character have their wits about them, they could easily word it in a way that wouldn't land it as solid evidence in a court room, this also happens all the time. Regarding discussions with DA and other parties, that could still be done if the characters were placed on parole. It's important to note that in no way am I implying that characters should be allowed to go completely free, the hope of this discussion is that there might be a potential solution to putting characters offline entirely for days.

An EVOC course takes 1 hour whereas an investigative hold is 48 hours, I fail to see how the two compare or how your reference aligns with roleplay isolation here. Admin leave doesn't mean that your character is forced into isolation, they are still free and can roleplay among the rest of population and just can't go on duty.

Should players be afraid of jail or their characters? The only reason players are afraid of jail for the most part is because they don't want their characters to be offline for days on end, the vast majority of illegal players enjoy prison roleplay, it provides them with development and connections, which is how it should be. When it comes to roleplay isolation? it is vacation time, because they either have to play on a different character or do something else with their time.

I think you have a point. But, at the same time, a player isn’t going to be online for that entire 48 hour potentially due to what you mentioned in the OP Timezones or other things. 

Female prison has, is and always will be an issue. Parole and other things would be the answer I think. But, LSRP taught us why a prison can’t be mixed.

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, Viscaria said:

I'd like to touch on this a bit further as well as it is a valid point as mentioned, the importance to any changes potentially made should be in the fairness of both parties involved. Do you have any suggestions that may be a better solution than putting a character completely offline during that time @Rylee?

No, because a forty-eight hour hold already needs authorisation from a detective or supervisor to do so, already being heavily restricted in terms of the LSPD. The forty-eight hour hold can make or break cases that could have taken weeks of work and it's the best form of security we are permitted to keep both suspects secure and sadly, isolated.

They're not permitted any outside contact, for reasons of denying them the ability to again, relocate evidence or go into hiding. The only time when this can change is via a lawyer, during questioning.

The point of it bring a neccesary evil is that there is no suitable alternative that can compare to both the protection offered and peace of mind knowing that the suspect is detained.

• Upvote 3

i made a post once about how 48 hour investigation hold was essentially an OOC punishment for being adjacent to an illegal scene, and i am willing to bet you're going to get a lot of the same responses. "try not being guilty" and "detective RP is more important than yours", etc etc. good fucking luck.

fwiw i think a good compromise for it would be requiring station RPers to visit the holding cells every now and then just so there's *someone* for those locked up to talk to, but even suggesting that got me flamed. it's just another example of how illegal RPers are treated like our time is worth infinitely less than legal RPers, which is an issue that extends far beyond the scope of 48 hour investigation holds, but that's a thread for another time 😉

Edited by ha$h
  • Upvote 2

I've been put into a 48 hour investigative hold before where no one ever reached back out to me. If you're going to hold someone at least drop them in the prison, sure it's less realistic, but at least you can actually rp. People that don't want to RP in the jail won't log in, but a majority of people don't log in for those 48 hours anyways. As for isolation and that balance between fun and realism, I always lean towards fun. I only have an hour or two to play if I'm lucky, so I'm not going to go hard on someone. I rather create RP over putting up artificial barriers. 

Play to lift and elevate other people's rp around you, don't play to win. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Rylee said:

No, because a forty-eight hour hold already needs authorisation from a detective or supervisor to do so, already being heavily restricted in terms of the LSPD. The forty-eight hour hold can make or break cases that could have taken weeks of work and it's the best form of security we are permitted to keep both suspects secure and sadly, isolated.

They're not permitted any outside contact, for reasons of denying them the ability to again, relocate evidence or go into hiding. The only time when this can change is via a lawyer, during questioning.

The point of it bring a neccesary evil is that there is no suitable alternative that can compare to both the protection offered and peace of mind knowing that the suspect is detained.

Thanks for your reply there's a lot of good information being provided! Do you know if its the same for both PD and SD regarding these regulations? And are they strictly followed? My concern is that what happens in regards to characters with corruption? Are they able to place characters on 48h holds without said authorization? If so I don't think that should be the case due to how unlikely it would be for it to lash back at them, technically all cases would be monitored yet due to the fact this is a game, unless a case is taken to court it is not really checked by anyone in a general basis.