Increased RPQM Reports? - The People's Opinion

TeeHazmat

1 hour ago, Tmthn678 said:

Good point. There actually was a thread/discussion at one point about an IRS faction that would ICly investigate these sorts of issues and pursue those who have massive penthouses, mansions, and sports cars, yet without a job.

I haven't bought a house in a while on the server, but is it still that Davis houses cost more than an apartment, and even a massive penthouse? I think the over-availability of 'luxury' on the server also contributes a bit to this issue.

What may seem luxury to those of us in the real world has become standard on GTAW. 

IC IRS faction would solve a lot honestly, also makes criminals have to store cash, sounds like a good new layer of rp against IC and OOC weird spending

• Upvote 1

It doesn't even need to be the big bad IRS. California has it's own tax inspectors. Only problem is that you'd be introducing a State Law Enforcement Agency and the server's been pretty skittish about doing that, even with extremely limited jurisdictions.

9 hours ago, Dan Silverstone said:

I don’t experience frequent, unrealistic displays of violence. Have you considered if it’s the people you’re rping with?

My guy, we literally had a bunch of the criminal community initiate a serious and comprehensive discussion about what has since been deemed "The Corpse Problem"

As for the RPQM reports, I haven't actually seen or heard of many. It's one of the secret channels that allows some evasion of accountability, but apparently one that's rarely been used (until now?)

Edited by DasFroggy

In reply to @Tmthn678:

While I think there are a whole other set of critical portrayal issues among a very large portion of our gangbangers and those RP'ing in the more impoverished areas, I will say that one is more likely to find semi-realistic RP among this crowd  than they are among the upper-crust of the business community. When quite nearly every civilian in business RP just so happens to be 18-24 years old and holding a high-ranking job (or multiple jobs) at a successful company while living in a swanky apartment and driving 5-10 cars... yeah.

I think it's really lame that, when criticized, a lot of these folks will cherry-pick oddball stories from real life and point to them as proof that their RP is realistic. Just because there's a single example of someone doing something similar to what your character is doing irl doesn't mean that it's plausible. As I said earlier - these kinds of oddball stories are only made into stories that gain traction online because of their oddness.

The fact of the matter is that there are always two sides to the coin. Legal RP'ers (myself included from time to time) can be very dismissive and critical of illegal rp. It's important to look at one's own portrayal critically as well, and determine whether or not the things they are doing are over-the-top.

Edited by borhoi
  • Upvote 2
6 hours ago, radreaper100 said:

not to throw smoke but how exactly did donald gibson the character exist for as long as they did 

doesn't matter how epicly hardcore your elite roleplaying server is, you always need to have 1 dedicated troll that nearly everybody knows about and is always on the verge of getting permanently banned

Edited by AnthonyCourtney
  • Upvote 2
Just now, AnthonyCourtney said:

doesn't matter how epicly hardcore your elite roleplaying server is, you need to have 1 dedicated troll that nearly everybody knows about and is always on the verge of getting permanently banned

Back in the old days of TSRP, the guy was Jasper Higgins. Sometimes he was on the side of the law, sometimes it was the side of crime. Never could tell with him, seeing as the dude was straight up bonkers, but he was always there, being weird...

8 minutes ago, AnthonyCourtney said:

doesn't matter how epicly hardcore your elite roleplaying server is, you always need to have 1 dedicated troll that nearly everybody knows about and is always on the verge of getting permanently banned

Someone who has an advanced understanding of the rules and policies, so much so that they can skirt around every single rule in a way that makes it seem like they don’t have nefarious intentions…

5 hours ago, Barbary said:

It doesn't even need to be the big bad IRS. California has it's own tax inspectors. Only problem is that you'd be introducing a State Law Enforcement Agency and the server's been pretty skittish about doing that, even with extremely limited jurisdictions.

State park rangers and San fire would like to have a word

Edited by radreaper100
9 hours ago, TeeHazmat said:

That's not what the THREAD is about, it's more so about people getting RPQM'ed more often for minor things like their assets and when explained (Based on who hears the explanation) they are still asked to get rid of their assets no matter how many years of development they've put in to reach this point.

I don't care about people's E-girl fetishes, if you want to oversexualize your character just don't do it in public.

I am saddened by the level of toxicity seen on this thread; seems like people are way too worried about what others are doing to be concerned over what they are doing themselves. 

I know this is a tough conversation to have, and people will be afraid to come out as they're afraid of backlash or having admins/staff or other people turn against them.... 

I think a big part of the conversation that needs to be had right now really comes with the following factors;

1. I believe the rpqm report +  the evidence presented + who ever reported should be visible to the person being reported, because CONTEXT MATTERS. 
2. I think there needs to be some adjustment as to what needs to be considered realistic, as though you could say; sure there are "special cases" - what is to stop you from being a special case if you developed to it? I've seen far too many RPQM's as of recent; specially ones that are targeting factors that are irrelevant or actually realistic portrayals. It seems to me that people are expected to follow stereotypes rather than individual developments and personalities. 

Like, I personally own FOUR very successful businesses in different industries that I started from the ground up IRL -  employing over 25 people, by the age of 25. I didn't receive any hand-me-downs or capital from someone to start these. But having the right mindset and the ability to make strong and lasting relationships play key to this.... Yet this is something that would seem unrealistic to a lot of people on this server. The truth is not everything is Black and White. 

But lets be honest, if you're actually able to properly grow a business, BRING ROLEPLAY INTO THIS SERVER, create enjoyable roleplay..... why be punished for it. 

MWghR10.png

Like-... in my opinion, this RPQM seems like someone being targeted for having friends, being good at networking, and having a successful business. Given there is so much context missing, when the character in question has in fact gone through a lot.....  I understand, put an RPQM on someone whose RPing an impoverished character who is going around driving in an a Deity or a Paragon or some supercar.... 

I've also recently seen that someone got RPQM'ed over going camping and shooting some coyotes.... like should he have let the coyotes eat him? Sadly, this report led to making this person quit the server, although they won their report..... they had assets taken away from them, that in my opinion they should of been allowed to keep. 

I believe Staff is doing the best they can given the circumstances and the evidence presented to them, its hard to find a balance in such a sensitive topic, in such a sensitive time we're living in. Given this is an RP server, and the goal of achieving a sense of realism is a goal within its script limitations poses its own challenges. They're volunteers in this server trying to help enhance the experience for everyone, but I do think an honest conversation needs to be had to find a balance in this scape to make this a mutually improving process. The truth is they can only see what they're given, henceforth why I said CONTEXT MATTERS.  Additionally, this is a server that accommodates people from all over the world, and perhaps what is acceptable or possible or viewed as okay in certain cultures may seem far fetched in others, which makes this a more difficult task for Staff to handle.

I do believe RPQM's should be treated as innocent until proven guilty, versus the other way around.

Truthfully, unless you've rped extensively with a person, it's unlikely you'll get a proper perspective of a persons character. 

TLDR;
- RPQM's are necessary; staff don't have it easy when it comes to handling them. 
- Evidence/Report/Player Reporting - should be made available to the person being RPQM'ed - because CONTEXT matters.
- RPQM's should be over the heavier matters, such as people RPing something far fetched or unbelievably unrealistic. 
- RPQM's shouldn't be so easily taken.

Edited by sixchar
  • Upvote 32
  • Thanks 3
  • Applaud 5