The problem with gang roleplayers in rich areas

VikoMKD

11 minutes ago, verrevert said:

You could always petition government/police to make use of their legal powers and implement sanctions (searches for those with visual gang affiliations etc.) on the area to tackle the rising crime and violence . You know, handle it IC'ly as it should be.

Yeah but complaining oocly is easier...

Living for 5-6 months in Vespucci I can only agree with that. In the beginning there wasn't much gang activity or I was not really involved in it. However, as time went by random groups will show up out of nowhere sending someone with a bike/cross to cruise around in black clothing and call them over through most likely voice to act quickly and in no time while you get up the stairs to get into your apartment they are already 4-6 criminals trying to rob you with baseball bats and even guns. This isn't quite realistic because such accidents happened a couple of times while living in the canals and the building was quite visible from the LSPD Vespucci Quarters. While some of them were rushing in with vehicles and guns others were looking at the cars that are parked outside and because I had a Schlagen at the time people were so thirsty to rob me as if that will give them a lot, they would camp for hours outside my door once they see my car parked outside. Once I spawn outside the door they immediately rush to "talk to me" or to corner me. Either way I developed my character into a character that acts paranoid most of the times when being alone and especially when around his home because that started happening on the daily. Eventually I had to avoid roleplaying around Vespucci alone and was in general busy with something else. Lately I sold my apartment and bought myself a house even closer to the beach, two story and very much patrolled by the LSPD. One day I was with a friend in the house and he went out to buy something and I was gonna come out after him when he suddenly bumped into 10-15 "gangsters" that were roleplaying 15-16 year old kids just after exiting the door. Long story short, they were trying to jack my Schlagen which had full security and I was just in the house where I could see them through the window, also have to mention that LSPD is normally patrolling around Vespucci at that times it was like 22:00. So he called me and the police as well as some other friends that were in the radius. Now I go and get my gun and roleplay slightly opening the door to look what's happening and get slightly out, of course I had to get outside in order to see what's up. Immediately 5 guys get to me trying to "talk to me" again and they started cornering me(At this point I am bound to roleplay with them because they will start to complain) and asked for me to pass them my wallet. The one guy was so aggressive about it, but hey! You are 15 years old and I am 10 years older than you, I have a gun on me and you are trespassing on my property which is right on my door and police is on it's way as well is my friend like 3-5 meters away from everything. Meanwhile two other guys managed to get into the car and started hotwiring it. I was resisting to give my wallet and roleplaying that I slowly get my hand in my pocket while they managed to even hotwire the car. Now, the car's engine is on and suddenly police appears, my friends looking from the side and all of a sudden everyone runs in different directions, most of them in the same and this one aggressive guy gets in the car and starts driving like some maniac. What happens next is I take out my phone and turn the engine off. He then gets out and starts running in circles and... well, PD was useless, they did not even get one of them. This guy got caught but then again released, I was NOT questioned at all even tho I tried to speak to the officers I got ignored and my friends for chasing that one guy that got out of the car to escape after I shut it down and after he "tried to punch them" after which they had to calm him down with guns got almost arrested. I know, usually you don't get a gun out but there were other 15-16 y/o that were constantly making circles around and these guys you never know, also he wouldn't stop doing that with roleplay which normally would be 25-35 year olds tackling him down. Of course there is bad portrayal from both sides at times, not that there isn't but they started something for which they shouldn't have in the first place. To put it in a nutshell, while yes, there is crime and always will be it shouldn't really be on that scale and the quality should be much better. It's not always about robbing people, stealing from people or doing harm to other people. 

55 minutes ago, Свето said:

Most of the "low level" RP done in Vespucci is not done by factions, most factions in Vespucci keep a high-standard, so, simple solution, report those who are poor RPers, and stop trying to solve a niche issue with a blanket statement. If the issue is with the locals, why not, I don't know, try to socialize with them? Just because someone has a Hispanic looking name doesn't mean they'll kill you on sight, most of these people are just as willing to socialize with you as the rest of the people on this server. This is coming from someone who has a residence in Vespucci.

This. I think people don’t realize how much pressure and scrutiny factions get to maintain quality, and for good reason! Furthermore all of these faction leaders are approachable, if you have a problem with a faction just head to the faction thread, find the leadership and bring it up respectfully. Maybe you’ll learn a thing or two, and helps improve courtesy all around. Give each other some room, people make mistakes anyway and no faction is perfect but people easily forget the positive things. And if you don’t that’s fine too, but then don’t complain and act entitled like you are the one that dictates what everyone else should do. Unpopular opinion: people who feel the need to dictate other roleplay usually don’t have the best roleplay themselves.

2 hours ago, eTaylor said:

I find it absolutely hilarious because the people who complain about bad gang roleplayers are the same people who walk around with their chest out acting like a B-roll Punisher that served x years and is now a middle to upper class carbon copy of Russo. The terrible roleplay goes both ways, it really does. I don’t know if it’s been mentioned before but let me run down some facts for you some people seem to forget.

The geography of the game is something everyone seems to ignore. Venice is a huge area that isn’t just nice fancy neighborhood for the rich. Vespucci is the creative recreation of that and much like the rest of Los Santos it is compressed in scale. And much like it’s real counterpart Vespucci isn’t just a rich area, and there are plenty of “bad” areas to be found. Much like the real world our Vespucci has it’s gang and street culture. 

A tourist trap isn’t a safeguard for robberies and muggings. Nor does being in a rich fancy neighborhood give you a cloak of protection. In fact, these neighborhoods are more often than not the target for these crimes. The only difference with real life is that the methods are often different. And they are different because of how the game works, much like real life people adapt to operate within the world they live in. A lot of people walk around Vespucci thinking they’re John Wayne making them an easy target for guns and other valuables. A lot of people also sabotage roleplay when subjected to a robbery. And with the way the rules are set up it makes sense for most people to commit high intensity and high impact robberies with violence. Because while we can argue the value of roleplay, the community isn’t like that. People are always upping each other and consideration and courtesy is the exception rather than the expectation. So you’ll be hard pressed to find these nice robbers because they cannot survive and most definitely can’t thrive in the world we have created for each other. 

And what you see is what you get. People point fingers left and right except at themselves. You get PF bulls talking smack to a whole gang on their turf while they have no business being there and should’ve just stayed in their little smoothie shop. The attitudes some of these people have is a creation of their own mismanagement. They’ll forget that their character exists outside of their non violent friend circle. You get a “legal” character arguing with a 16 year old doped up gangbanger and ranting like they’re about to tip the fedora. They’ll keep pushing buttons and acting wild themselves only to be completely surprised when they get their socks knocked off. You get what you give. And while I know the good and the bad of gang roleplay I also know some of the Vespucci gangs and that they’re no worse than any of the people roleplaying there. It’s a two way street, and people seem to forget that. Mutual understanding can go a long way. 

This. 100%. 

Very well, said, honestly. This is just how it is, all these 'legal' rpers act tough to gang members, but complain when something wild happens to their character.

Go to Venice Beach IRL and provoke some cholo on a backstreet, see what happens to you, whether or not the sun's out or the fact that you're near the beachfront.

Edited by Ears Up
1 hour ago, ScottieP said:

Living for 5-6 months in Vespucci I can only agree with that. In the beginning there wasn't much gang activity or I was not really involved in it. However, as time went by random groups will show up out of nowhere sending someone with a bike/cross to cruise around in black clothing and call them over through most likely voice to act quickly and in no time while you get up the stairs to get into your apartment they are already 4-6 criminals trying to rob you with baseball bats and even guns. This isn't quite realistic because such accidents happened a couple of times while living in the canals and the building was quite visible from the LSPD Vespucci Quarters. While some of them were rushing in with vehicles and guns others were looking at the cars that are parked outside and because I had a Schlagen at the time people were so thirsty to rob me as if that will give them a lot, they would camp for hours outside my door once they see my car parked outside. Once I spawn outside the door they immediately rush to "talk to me" or to corner me. Either way I developed my character into a character that acts paranoid most of the times when being alone and especially when around his home because that started happening on the daily. Eventually I had to avoid roleplaying around Vespucci alone and was in general busy with something else. Lately I sold my apartment and bought myself a house even closer to the beach, two story and very much patrolled by the LSPD. One day I was with a friend in the house and he went out to buy something and I was gonna come out after him when he suddenly bumped into 10-15 "gangsters" that were roleplaying 15-16 year old kids just after exiting the door. Long story short, they were trying to jack my Schlagen which had full security and I was just in the house where I could see them through the window, also have to mention that LSPD is normally patrolling around Vespucci at that times it was like 22:00. So he called me and the police as well as some other friends that were in the radius. Now I go and get my gun and roleplay slightly opening the door to look what's happening and get slightly out, of course I had to get outside in order to see what's up. Immediately 5 guys get to me trying to "talk to me" again and they started cornering me(At this point I am bound to roleplay with them because they will start to complain) and asked for me to pass them my wallet. The one guy was so aggressive about it, but hey! You are 15 years old and I am 10 years older than you, I have a gun on me and you are trespassing on my property which is right on my door and police is on it's way as well is my friend like 3-5 meters away from everything. Meanwhile two other guys managed to get into the car and started hotwiring it. I was resisting to give my wallet and roleplaying that I slowly get my hand in my pocket while they managed to even hotwire the car. Now, the car's engine is on and suddenly police appears, my friends looking from the side and all of a sudden everyone runs in different directions, most of them in the same and this one aggressive guy gets in the car and starts driving like some maniac. What happens next is I take out my phone and turn the engine off. He then gets out and starts running in circles and... well, PD was useless, they did not even get one of them. This guy got caught but then again released, I was NOT questioned at all even tho I tried to speak to the officers I got ignored and my friends for chasing that one guy that got out of the car to escape after I shut it down and after he "tried to punch them" after which they had to calm him down with guns got almost arrested. I know, usually you don't get a gun out but there were other 15-16 y/o that were constantly making circles around and these guys you never know, also he wouldn't stop doing that with roleplay which normally would be 25-35 year olds tackling him down. Of course there is bad portrayal from both sides at times, not that there isn't but they started something for which they shouldn't have in the first place. To put it in a nutshell, while yes, there is crime and always will be it shouldn't really be on that scale and the quality should be much better. It's not always about robbing people, stealing from people or doing harm to other people. 

Damn that's fr crazy bro, but it sounds like an IC issue.

• Upvote 1

I personally haven't had any issues with gangs while I RP in vespucci, usually I just treat them with respect like I do anyone in game and they realise I'm a local civillian and just leave me alone but I can see where this post is coming from, I think it's really undeniable the amount of violence in Vespucci is rising and while yes there's gangs in Venice IRL I feel like sometimes people often forget this is also a very heavy tourist spot and very much populated IRL especially close to the beach. Gunning someone down along a super populated street close to the beach with multiple businesses that would have CCTV running, an active lifeguard tower, fire marshal head quarters and aswell as an active police station in the area would get you caught very quickly. As someone has already said, just because it's realistic to have gangs in Vespucci and I don't think anyone wants to take that away as it adds realism to the area which I'm all for but that also doesn't give a reason to just treat the place like your playground and play the same way you would in Davis.

Of course as some have already pointed out civillians should also act realistically around these gangs too, and not insulting/provoking the second a gang gives you a slight bit of trouble the only solution I can really see for either side is just report it I guess as personally I would love to see Vespucci do well for RP.

• Upvote 1