Thoughts on Yakuza roleplay?

jointmikey

1 hour ago, Eine said:

As someone who has roleplayed in a Yakuza for over a year, I can only say it is one of the best experiences I have ever had.

I recognize your pfp, You RPed in Little Tokyo from LS-RP right? You'll have to take the server culture on GTA W with a grain of salt.

There's a large emphasis on 1:1 realism to irl OCGS in California. Specifically the area around LA. However you'll find there's also exceptions to this rule which are there because of "continuity". 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, changooman said:

I recognize your pfp, You RPed in Little Tokyo from LS-RP right? You'll have to take the server culture on GTA W with a grain of salt.

There's a large emphasis on 1:1 realism to irl OCGS in California. Specifically the area around LA. However you'll find there's also exceptions to this rule which are there because of "continuity". 

Hey! Yep, that's me. And that's certainly understandable. I definitely respect the whole emphasis on OCGs to mirror their IRL counterparts as it should be. 

Although there is a single thing I do not agree with. That being the following quote:

23 minutes ago, changooman said:

You won't get approval from IFM for a yakuza, period. This will come down straight from the head of IFM and even Nervous himself. Don't waste your time as somebody literally tried this very same thing a month ago. 

You're better off creating another sureno set, an MC, a LCN crew, african american street gang.  

I do not mean to come over as condescending when I say this, but I, as an individual, think that will never be the case. Everyone has a fair chance to exhibit their own personal projects and would-be factions. I think that is something horrible to tell someone who was looking for feedback in regard to a faction idea they were wishing to gather opinions about. 

Especially when you finish your message off recommending them to just go for something more monotonous they might seek to escape from. 

I would like to mention, though, that I completely get your opinion on the matter changeooman, and I definitely agree with it to some extent.

All in all, I would like to tell whoever reading this; if you genuinely believe in your idea, and you KNOW you have the experience, time and dedication to carry through with your faction, go for it!

Edited by Eine
11 minutes ago, Eine said:

I do not mean to come over as condescending when I say this, but I, as an individual, think that will never be the case. Everyone has a fair chance to exhibit their own personal projects and would-be factions. I think that is something horrible to tell someone who was looking for feedback in regard to a faction idea they were wishing to gather opinions about. 

Especially when you finish your message off recommending them to just go for something more monotonous they might seek to escape from. 

I would like to mention, though, that I completely get your opinion on the matter changeooman, and I definitely agree with it to some extent.

All in all, I would like to tell whoever reading this; if you genuinely believe in your idea, and you KNOW you have the experience, time and dedication to carry through with your faction, go for it!

You can think what you'd like to, but it's true unfortunately. I'd love to be able to tell bro that he has a high chance of being accepted doing a Yakuza fac, but the reality is that the chances are lower than I'd like to say they are. They'd probably have a much greater chance at creating one of the some 200 Asian gangs that exist in California, 90% of which haven't even been attempted yet, many of which would also be much more unique and would get alot more support than a Yakuza faction would.

Edited by Ears Up
1 hour ago, Eine said:

Although there is a single thing I do not agree with. That being the following quote:

I am simply telling you the straight forward truth and not sugar coating it so you don't waste your time. Ask @Gargam3i if you don't believe me. 

Keep in mind, I myself RPed yakuzas mostly on LS-RP so I have nothing against them personally. I've been RPing in K-Town since I actively started RPing on GTA W and it's been the best faction I've RPed in to date. So if you wanted to do an asian organized crime group? You'd have better luck joining K-Town or elsewhere like in a Tong, which @Gargam3i is also planning on doing now. 

Edited by changooman

A yakuza faction certainly isn't impossible - I've applied for it in the past and the reception wasn't cold at all, but the stipulations that were to be placed upon the faction were so restricting as to prevent us from engaging in the sort of roleplay we had envisioned at the outset. Some of the criticisms that were leveled against my concept for the faction included:

1. They operate in EXTREMELY small groups supervising shipments for superiors - a family/clan would simply not exist in the US as an ENTIRE entity.
  2. The Yakuza mostly supervises drug shipments in the US which would realistically be a better focus for you.

Where my vision for a faction included many public-facing businesses with an undercurrent of illegality and room to grow, server staff preferred we not stray far from the concept of the Yakuza as a small group of 1-4 drug mules - a line of RP I didn't find particularly compelling, and so I dropped the application.

Mind, this was about a year ago. Times change, and maybe staff are more receptive to the idea than they were prior - the only way to find out is to try.

This is a roleplay server based on realism but it's counter productive to be so strict as to stop people from creating quality rp based on other people's attempts in the past and IRL demographics in LA. This is not LA, it's Los Santos and people should be able to at least give it a go. 

Server staff should be facilitating new and interesting rp, coaching it to be improved... Not policing it or straight up shutting it down before it even begins. 

I think the balance between Realism and letting people have some rp freedom needs to be readjusted.

Realism and realistic are not exactly the same thing. Realism is accuracy to irl and realistic is basically making general sense/is believable. 

Shouldn't we be focusing on the quality of the rp, keeping things realistic to general life rather than setting very specific levels of accuracy? 

• Applaud 1

I originally joined this server looking for a yakuza faction. RP'ing and succeeding in Akuji-Kai ages ago, I wanted to recapture that same magic when I came here only to discover that it'll never happen. I've seen a thread before hand asking about it, I've talked to a couple of people over discord, idk what's the issue with allowing a yakuza faction if done right. People would rather seen Sureno gang #18 and random blood/crip #80 etc than something original. Same thing as I sad about the Nortenos, why whould it matter? It's a game, most of the shit we do isnt realistic. 

10 hours ago, changooman said:

You realize OCG’s hardly exist anymore right? The Italian mob and most other Mobs with it are completely gone. I think letting people roleplay that has been lenient enough 

4 hours ago, Juicy said:

You realize OCG’s hardly exist anymore right? The Italian mob and most other Mobs with it are completely gone. I think letting people roleplay that has been lenient enough 

Because in all reality, it is. And as per @Smilesville's quote, unlike what I've seen, the reception isn't bad at all. It's very understandable that IFM would not want a whole organ to randomly inhabit a part of LS. This also encouraging proper development over the standard "We are a crime family that's totally always been here" mentality. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic