Would a different (separate) GTA: World "Light Text RP" server be beneficial?

Mistery14

I don't necessarily think this is the answer. But I see the idea 100%. A lot of you are responding with "No GTAW is a heavy rp server." Is it though? Are the current accepted standards what people consider heavy rp? 

The quality has been watered down, over the years. And there is definitely a percentage of this playerbase, in all avenues of RP who don't really ha e much interest in developing a character. This isn't legal vs illegal. You've got extreme DMers, way over the top mallrats that make no sense, super dmy LEO Rpers the list goes on. 

This suggestion domes from the frustration that there are people who DON'T treat gtaw like a heavy rp server and that's considered perfectly fine by a lot of people. All the examples people are giving, "it would be cops and robbers" "people would treat it like GTAO" "it would just be everyone with high end sports cars and no rp" you're describing GTAW. Which is kind of thr problem. 

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Perstephone said:

I don't necessarily think this is the answer. But I see the idea 100%. A lot of you are responding with "No GTAW is a heavy rp server." Is it though? Are the current accepted standards what people consider heavy rp? 

The quality has been watered down, over the years. And there is definitely a percentage of this playerbase, in all avenues of RP who don't really ha e much interest in developing a character. This isn't legal vs illegal. You've got extreme DMers, way over the top mallrats that make no sense, super dmy LEO Rpers the list goes on. 

This suggestion domes from the frustration that there are people who DON'T treat gtaw like a heavy rp server and that's considered perfectly fine by a lot of people. All the examples people are giving, "it would be cops and robbers" "people would treat it like GTAO" "it would just be everyone with high end sports cars and no rp" you're describing GTAW. Which is kind of thr problem. 

I think we shouldn’t label the rp  because it’s all subjective , heavy or light rp can be define differently for different players even though there are rules in place 

Edited by Tingtingbingding
On 8/15/2022 at 1:24 AM, SLIME ALLEGIANCE said:

This is a narrow minded way of looking at. GTAW has achieved and is still on going as a heavy roleplay server for the people wanting to be apart, the community for this side can still aim for it. You have to understand it's a whole other side of roleplay that others may like too, which is light roleplay. Overall, this can open more doors for GTAW, this is really as simple as I can put it.

Just think about it.

I just don't understand what you mean by 'Light RP' server really. What kind of roleplay would be taking place on it?

9 hours ago, SearAgenda said:

Why waste valuable developer time working on a light server that probably won't be able to compete with preexisting light servers?

One could argue that it would benefit this server by giving an alternative text based roleplay server for those who are having difficulties with heavy roleplay. In other words, players that are looking to not be punished for metagaming or deathmatching, but still prefer text roleplay over GTA Online or existing alternatives. I think that's what is being hinted at here.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, mj2002 said:

One could argue that it would benefit this server by giving an alternative text based roleplay server for those who are having difficulties with heavy roleplay. In other words, players that are looking to not be punished for metagaming or deathmatching, but still prefer text roleplay over GTA Online or existing alternatives. I think that's what is being hinted at here.

This is exactly the point, actually! Often you'll see some servers make a name for themselves by having multiple RP, DM, Sandbox servers that carry over to other games as well to fit a wider variety of players, like ArmA 3 RP, Gmod RP to name a few as an example. I don't see why GTA World should be restricted to only a specific type of server, like only and strictly sticking to Heavy RP.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Nervous open up an ArmA 3 Altis Life server, just like he could open up a GTA World Light RP server separate from this one, or on a game that has servers he could run for cheap. Again I'm not saying opening up a Light RP server is a reasonable or realistic thing to do or a good idea right now, realistically it's best if we stick with one server being this one, and that I agree with anyone who says the same. I'm merely saying that it's interesting as a concept if we could hypothetically afford to run a separate, Light RP server in the future.

Because hypothetically I do believe that it'd bring benefits to touch upon a wider variety of preferences like Light RP and Heavy RP if we could check all of the boxes required to run one in the first place. (Enough funding, staff, devs, etc). At least, one of the benefits is, we'd know what to expect when connecting to either of the servers. If we hop on to the Light RP server, we shouldn't expect heavy RP and likewise, if we hop on the Heavy RP then we shouldn't expect to see Light RP, if you get what I mean. - I think a Light RP server has a greater chance of being the "Learning server" that we are trying to be currently.

Edited by Mistery14
13 hours ago, Perstephone said:

Good point. I think this thread is mostly either being misinterpreted by some as a suggestion or a "must-have". - Which it isn't, it's purely a hypothetical discussion about what benefits/drawbacks people think would come from opening up a separate GTA World Light RP server, and not by any means suggesting to actually do it, as much as I'd like to think it's possible. Realistically there's no point, we don't have the manpower nor resources to do so right now and I'm well aware.

At the end of the day, I don't want this thread to end with an admin interpreting it as a suggestion and locking it saying:

"We will not open a Light-RP server, it was discussed before and was dismissed." Only for the thread to be locked and archived,

Because the whole point of it is to be able to discuss, agree, disagree with each other about the potential concept without it being dismissed as a suggestion that will (most likely) be denied, locked, and archived eventually. Of course, just because this isn't a suggestion doesn't mean we can't draw anything from this thread as to what people's opinions are on the subject, it'd provide a lot of insight as to what people think better than a suggestion would over time.

Edited by Mistery14

I'll provide a clear answer to this and then lock the thread.

First : opening a light RP server was something we studied, especially because we deny 90% of the applicants and we banned thousands and thousands of players. However we realized that what attracted these "light RP players" was that they thought they were serious roleplayers and wanted to still play in a strict environment. Text roleplay fits well with heavy RP, it doesn't fit well with light RP servers.

Many of you have been trolling around on the thread about what is light RP, but you have to understand that all the other servers around us using voice are considering themselves heavy / medium RP, and we wouldn't even consider them light RP due to how bad it is. Your definition of light RP is biased because you're stuck in GTAW not looking at what's being done around.

There is not a large enough text roleplay market to fit the light roleplay - text is slow and thus doesn't really match with light RP.

Some of you suggested that we open a DM server or a way for people to have fun so that we have less shootings ingame etc; this is already coming in a fully IC feature on GTAW directly through a virtual reality headset system. We'll allow players to create their own virtual world with custom rules and play it with friends in their properties, which will keep people that want to shoot or have fun for one hour busy while keeping it all IC and realistic.

We're also working with the company (not GTAW devs/admins) on a cops & robber / pursuit / roleplay voice - text server, the goal of that server will be to allow people to come online and do whatever they want to do with scripts to support it. You want to do some strict roleplay without caring about any rules / RPQM / other players? You can, you'll even be in a "passive" mode so that you're not disturbed by others. You want to immediately join a pursuit or the LSPD to shoot gangsters? You can.

This project is still months away from being ready and isn't being handled directly by the GTAW team, and we're not sure yet if it'll use part of GTAW name.

• Upvote 8