OOC nicknames, profiles and pictures should be free of controversial topics

OOC nicknames, profiles and pictures should be free of controversial topics  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What's deemed controversial by one person may be completely fine by the other. 

While I don't agree with OOC racist nicknames, I have no issue with players having nicknames relating to gangbangers or smoking crack or hitting a pookie. 

I come here to roleplay and occasionally escape real life controversy, why try and bring that same controversy to a game?

Edit: If you look at my profile picture and banner; they look to be a group of Hispanic males throwing up gang signs with their eyes blocked and the dogs as well. You know why I picked this? Because it's funny. That's it.

Edited by Bandit.

I remember when I was browsing the LSRP forum ppl just had names like ''Adolf Dipler'' and had PFP with Adolf in a Supreme hat and gold rap chains, I found that funny but idk how many ppl would here so I'm on the fence about it. This server shouldnt submit to politics or someone's feelings. We are here to have fun, stop making such a big fuss out of everything.

Edited by Straw

I find it really puzzling that this thread was unlocked. Nothing productive is going to come out of this discussion, because it isn't a gray area or ambiguous topic.

It's like making a thread called "What is the speed of sound? Please discuss."

You know exactly what the answer is, so why ask? No. It's not going to happen. For a plethora of reasons.

1. It's not worth getting upset about, and it's genuinely concerning if someone is upset by it. 

2. It's going to give a ridiculous amount of work to an already incredibly under-staffed admin team.

3. It's completely subjective and unenforceable as to what's "controversial" and what's not.

4. It's a server full of murder, drugs, sexual debauchery, and other mischief. On what world is it logically consistent to draw the line at pictures of guns in profiles?

Oh, and to answer the "we need to make sure that people don't condone the concepts they portray IC'ly" problem. No..we don't. For two reasons:

A: Having a name or picture related to your IC concept is in no way condoning any of it OOC'ly, and it's your problem for being unable to separate the person from their avatar. 

B: It's none of your business what personal beliefs people do have, and isn't your place to moderate so long as they aren't actively harming other members of the community.

Edited by NickyW
  • Upvote 5
3 hours ago, Midwest said:

If "pride" and "proud" are considered bannable offenses in that regard, I sure hope we start to apply it to all the other racial, ethnic, and characteristic "pride" "proud" accounts. 

you're joking... right?

19 minutes ago, Bauer said:

you're joking... right?

No, not at all. Proud and pride are very different words than "power". There are a variety of pride related accounts and matters related to many different features a person could have or choose to align with, that has absolutely nothing at all related to feeling any sort of supremacy over any other group. There are a variety of these other forum accounts.

• Upvote 2
56 minutes ago, NickyW said:

I find it really puzzling that this thread was unlocked. Nothing productive is going to come out of this discussion, because it isn't a gray area or ambiguous topic.

It's like making a thread called "What is the speed of sound? Please discuss."

You know exactly what the answer is, so why ask? No. It's not going to happen. For a plethora of reasons.

1. It's not worth getting upset about, and it's genuinely concerning if someone is upset by it. 

2. It's going to give a ridiculous amount of work to an already incredibly under-staffed admin team.

3. It's completely subjective and unenforceable as to what's "controversial" and what's not.

4. It's a server full of murder, drugs, sexual debauchery, and other mischief. On what world is it logically consistent to draw the line at pictures of guns in profiles?

Oh, and to answer the "we need to make sure that people don't condone the concepts they portray IC'ly" problem. No..we don't. For two reasons:

A: Having a name or picture related to your IC concept is in no way condoning any of it OOC'ly, and it's your problem for being unable to separate the person from their avatar. 

B: It's none of your business what personal beliefs people do have, and isn't your place to moderate so long as they aren't actively harming other members of the community.

For all of the reasons you've stated, focusing on the censorship of forum usernames isn't the best of ideas yet today we had one player forum banned for having a username that was deemed offensive by some. If we're going to start forum banning players for ostensibly offensive usernames then let's at least keep things consistent. Why draw the line at 'white pride'? Let's do away with all references to race and ethnicity for the sake of not offending anyone. 

Censorship is a slippery slope.

3 hours ago, FourmsThreadWatcher said:

Thats the internet buddy.

The internet cannot be moderated. It has billions of people and isn't whitelisted. This server has some 1200 active users, and moderating their chat is actually extremely easy, because you need to pass an app to play here. It's just laziness.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
  • Wuhtah locked this topic