[Discussion] What can improve RP interactions between players and general RP standards?

Mistery14

11 hours ago, Wuhtah said:

I don't think beating a dead horse will help - server administration for harsher punishments has been brought up to management. They are talking about it amongst themselves. A change won't happen overnight. So, while that's happening - how can you as players improve RP interactions between yourselves and general RP standards. 

Some players slip through the cracks in the application. Some are malicious, some are benign. Those benign ones, if they are willing to listen - try to teach them the correct way. If they give you attitude, just walk away / stop PMing. 

I'm just going to be blunt man. The reason people keep beating a dead horse is because there has been no progress been made or real solutions being presented by management. Like I respect how responsive you have been in these threads but you can't expect this to stop just because you are passively aggressively deflecting these complaints with all due respect. If you are going to close the thread, close the thread but I don't understand why you expect things to change just because you pop in these threads and start deflecting without offering solutions or plans.

Edited by Power
  • Applaud 1
33 minutes ago, Power said:

I'm just going to be blunt man. The reason people keep beating a dead horse is because there has been no progress been made or real solutions being presented by management. Like I respect how responsive you have been in these threads but you can't expect this to stop just because you are passively aggressively deflecting these complaints with all due respect. If you are going to close the thread, close the thread but I don't understand why you expect things to change just because you pop in these threads and start deflecting without offering solutions or plans.

There are multiple solutions I have given in the other thread. This just came to my attention less than a week ago. This also isn't the place to talk about it and I'm unsure where I am passive-aggressive in my comments, so if you could please forum PM me where I was, I'll be sure to fix it. 

Let's stay on topic - if you guys are truly interested in knowing more about the topic, PM me. This isn't the place.

42 minutes ago, Power said:

Sorry to interject when I probably shouldn't as it's not aimed at me but, still, as OP I honestly really like the way the thread is going so far.

Regardless of the fact you're being respectful I'll kindly ask not to suggest to close the thread just because you've stated a strong opinion, or feel like Wuhtah is going to take offense and give the thread an L&A for an answer to that opinion. - This is not me trying to backseat moderate anything or anyone, but just asking for a favor here to just not do that.

Anyone here is pretty much free to converse about server standards and how to improve them, including admins themselves, the fact it's been discussed before doesn't make this thread irrelevant. If people comment, it means it's still a relevant topic.

Edited by Mistery14
Just now, Mistery14 said:

Sorry to interject when I probably shouldn't as it's not aimed at me but, still, I honestly really like the way the thread is going so far.

Regardless of the fact you're being respectful I'll kindly ask not to suggest to close the thread just because you've stated a strong opinion, or feel like Wutah is going to take offense and give the thread an L&A for an answer to that opinion. - This is not me trying to backseat moderate anything or anyone, but just asking for a favor here to just not do that.

Anyone here is pretty much free to converse about server standards and how to improve them, the fact it's been discussed before doesn't make this thread irrelevant . If people comment, it means it's still a relevant topic.

Please don't ever assume I'm going to take offense and L&A - Power offered a very good insight in which is how he, and probably the entire server feels from reading this thread. They are in their right to express how they feel / their opinion, just not on the thread to derail! 

I understand and have seen suggestions on how the staff team can improve - it's been brought to management's attention and that's all I can do right now. The last week you guys have been pushing for this a lot and it's been brought up in every general discussion thread / suggestion I have seen. Before, I have not seen that. So, yes - beating a dead horse may be helpful, but bringing it up in every discussion thread isn't the way to handle things either.

Staff team can make improvements.

How can players make improvements? Both sides need to improve.

Also to @Power - it's not in my "power" aha, to give you solutions or plans. I can give them to management/staff management administrative side, but that's it I'm afraid. I can't do much but spread the word, and I have - it just takes time to get the wheels going. The reason why I bought it up again was because it's the same conversation with me saying the same thing for the last week (within this week). If it was... two weeks ago? And no update? Please, kick the shit out of the horse. But again, a thread solely based on that should be made - not brought up on every single thread that could consider it a derailment. 

• Upvote 2
23 hours ago, Wuhtah said:

I don't think beating a dead horse will help - server administration for harsher punishments has been brought up to management. They are talking about it amongst themselves.

Keep in mind that it is a dead horse for a reason. This issue isn't new. It had been brought up two years ago as well, and probably before that too. Management was looking into the same solutions back then as you mention they are now.

Edited by mj2002

There is a group of people who have time and effort invested into the community, who rarely get admin punishments if at all and are afraid to get punishments. These people are less likely to break server rules.

And there's a group of people who have been punished several times before and don't give a damn if they get ajailed. They're likely to do it again, and these are the kind of people that you want to punish harder.

It's been repeated a few times that the quality of roleplay has declined because of leniency from the administration team. OK, cool. Now that we've got that out of the way, let's start looking at what the community can do.

Being a decent roleplayer is more than just typing out flashy /mes. It’s about portraying a character of your own. A character with their own strengths, weaknesses, fears etc. It’s about learning to take a loss sometimes and turning it into something positive. Let’s be honest: nobody likes to lose. But people need to realize that even situations where you lose can lead to unique roleplay. Development of a character is a continuous cycle, as long as you roleplay properly and unique encounters take place. Lost that fight? Cool. Use it to develop your character. People seem to forget that at the end of the day you’re on this server to portray a character and have fun. This goes for both legal and illegal roleplayers.

It just doesn’t make sense for every character in the slums to spawn in and be a die-hard gangbanger with no backstory or development. Is gangbanging on your character’s mind all day, every day of the week? How boring and lame is that? Roleplay going to school, playing sports, forming cliques with your peers from the neighborhood. Roleplay having a job, a situation at home; I don't wanna dictate anybody on how to roleplay, but just be creative. The opportunities for character development in illegal roleplay are endless. Even IC rivalry with people you’re cool with OOC is healthy for a faction. Don’t rely on the script for everything and use your imagination. (e.g. not sure if there’s an actual high school.)

LEO roleplay characters can go off-duty and develop their character, too. It’s not always about chasing cars, shooting guns and roleplaying during police situations. Don't feel rushed to go from situation to situation when you're on-duty and just take your time to roleplay things out. Form off-duty friendships with people. Meet up and go do something. Go outside in something other than your uniform for once and see what new situations unfold. I should note, though, that it’s harder for a subpar roleplayer to pass through the cracks of LSPD/LSSD today because of the roleplay-standard check they have in their recruitment process, but obviously some people slip through the cracks. Take it upon yourself and report them to their leadership. I feel that this should be your go-to instead of a player report (common courtesy rule), as they represent the whole faction and leadership is quick to act when a bad roleplayer damages the reputation of their faction.

I’d also advice people that have only ever done legal roleplay to give illegal roleplay a shot. I’m not sure what it is, but from my experience illegal roleplay offers the best opportunity to develop yourself as a roleplayer. I'm sure that many high-ranking members of legal roleplay will attest to this, so long as they started out as illegal roleplayers. I know that the roleplay standards in legal RP have increased tremendously in the years, but I’m speaking from what I witnessed in similar communities. (Early-Mid 2010s)

At the end of the day, learn to take a loss and live with it. Use it to your advantage and turn it into something to develop your character with. Swallow your pride and quit being sour over things that happen in character. This play-to-win attitude is contagious as shit and has to go. I also feel as if the input of certain veteran roleplayers on this issue can be beneficial to the community, but maybe that's just me.

Bottom line is, before you go in-game and create a character, think about your character & who they are, their background etc. Their traits and personality. Things that bother them and things that satisfy them. Where do you wanna go with this character? That's up to you, but don't discard any bad encounter that's a loss. Instead use that opportunity to develop your character and grow as a roleplayer.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 2

I see people come up with nice solutions as to how to improve the roleplay quality and all that, but I can pretty much guarantee you that 99percent of the people who are responsible for the deterioration of the servers standards are the ones that don't give a fuck and don't even check the forums, they don't contribute to the community in any meaningful way and the things discussed in these threads do not reach them. They treat the server as a makeshift freeroam server with light roleplay. The only way to reach these people is again... Through harsher punishments. I'm going to keep beating the dead horse until I have horse soup.

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
45 minutes ago, Martyn said:

I see people come up with nice solutions as to how to improve the roleplay quality and all that, but I can pretty much guarantee you that 99percent of the people who are responsible for the deterioration of the servers standards are the ones that don't give a fuck and don't even check the forums, they don't contribute to the community in any meaningful way and the things discussed in these threads do not reach them. They treat the server as a makeshift freeroam server with light roleplay. The only way to reach these people is again... Through harsher punishments. I'm going to keep beating the dead horse until I have horse soup.

This is also a very good point. A lot of players on this thread are ones who have a shred of interest in improving the scene here and you could talk about improving until you're blue in the face, but that other group is never going to see this thread. My guess is that other group is larger than the group who care to be on this thread unfortunately. They treat this place like its another GTA Online. I'd venture to say a large amount of those players barely read just enough of the rules to get past the application and then never gave it a second look. There's too much "I wasn't aware that was against the rules". The only way to continue weeding out the bad apples at that point is to be more stringent and consistent on their punishments in-game.

Edited by Brofessor
  • Upvote 1

You all make great points, the problem with having people who don't go on the forum and follow these threads is that ultimately even if some of them do care about improvement, they'd have no way of knowing that what's relevant and being talked about, and if they're part or contribute to an ongoing problem or not.

(Of course that doesn't apply to those who just don't care).

Honestly like it's been said by some people, even though may or may not hurt server income, I'd rather see a smaller community with better standards for RP to begin with and better regards and consideration for other players than a huge community with practically none of that. 

Should the forums be advertised a little more outside of changelogs? Or should we maybe hold more community talks outside of the forums?

Like on discord for example, which is a great platform to reach more people, to discuss ongoing community concerns and issues, relevant topics and maybe answer some questions as to what is being worked on and whatnot outside of game features. Perhaps bringing more transparency about the behind the scenes of working with a growing server and community so that people could get a clearer view as to why certain things don't seem to be getting much attention (when it probably does).

Edited by Mistery14