Punishments should reflect the rules broken and damage inflicted on players.

I always thought that rule 0 was a bad idea. Forum reporting someone is like a gamble as to which admin you get. One admin will give them a warning, the other will jail them and one may even ban them for a week. In my opinion there should be a clear rule to follow. First rule break and they admit their mistakes? Sure, put a warning on their record. If it happens again ajail and so on. Applying discretion should not work for serious rule violations.

(Reinstate btw @Moonsong)

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I've always found it bizarre on roleplay servers how you can go to ingame jail for longer than you get ajailed for breaking most rules. I've never understood how a 30 minute ajail can really be considered a punishment, especially when I could not be able to play the game how I wanted to for a entire day because I evaded the cops.

Increase ajail times so that offences need to be at least 30 minutes or more, up to 24 hours (anymore might as well do a ban). this will help make people less likely to repeat and also make ajails seem more serious.

16 minutes ago, Hawken said:

I've always found it bizarre on roleplay servers how you can go to ingame jail for longer than you get ajailed for breaking most rules. I've never understood how a 30 minute ajail can really be considered a punishment, especially when I could not be able to play the game how I wanted to for a entire day because I evaded the cops.

Increase ajail times so that offences need to be at least 30 minutes or more, up to 24 hours (anymore might as well do a ban). this will help make people less likely to repeat and also make ajails seem more serious.

Bans aren't necessarily always the right solution but I think trialing out longer ajails consisting of several hours to even days as an alternative to temporary bans and short ajails might be worth looking at. Because a rule breaker can just spend half an hour watching Netflix or go do something else while they wait out their time, yet someone who roleplays well but is arrested ic gets what most would consider a worse punishment. It's much less effort to break a rule, waste people's time by disconnecting (as an example) and either get only a warning or wait out a short punishment than to roleplay properly.

Administrative punishments need to be a lot less appealing to rule breakers, than just dealing with the ic consequences. Hence I think much longer ajails might be the way to go, it would make administrative punishment actually a detterant. They sure as hell won't want to sit in ajail all day instead of roleplaying.

Edited by Moonsong
  • Upvote 1

Yeah the “let’s give someone 10 warnings and THEN perma ban but only for 3 months” shit is not working. I think the intended effect is to give people the chance to learn but in reality it’s just taught people to disregard and skate the rules.

+1

9 minutes ago, Moonsong said:

Bans aren't necessarily always the right solution but I think trialing out longer ajails consisting of several hours to even days as an alternative to temporary bans and short ajails might be worth looking at. Because a rule breaker can just spend half an hour watching Netflix or go do something else while they wait out their time, yet someone who roleplays well but is arrested ic gets what most would consider a worse punishment. It's much less effort to break a rule, waste people's time by disconnecting (as an example) and either get only a warning or wait out a short punishment than to roleplay properly.

Administrative punishments need to be a lot less appealing to rule breakers, than just dealing with the ic consequences. Hence I think much longer ajails might be the way to go, it would make administrative punishment actually a detterant. They sure as hell won't want to sit in ajail all day instead of roleplaying.

I don't think we have any right to force people, even if they behave like assholes, to keep their equipment turned on while being unable to play the game. In my opinion they should be kept away from the server for X amount of time. If that doesn't deter them, they can be (actually) permanently restricted access. They can discuss their behavior in a (good) appeal 6 months later, and if they then prove to still not have learned, they shouldn't be welcome back at any point.

5 minutes ago, Triple Seven said:

I don't think we have any right to force people, even if they behave like assholes, to keep their equipment turned on while being unable to play the game. In my opinion they should be kept away from the server for X amount of time. If that doesn't deter them, they can be (actually) permanently restricted access. They can discuss their behavior in a (good) appeal 6 months later, and if they then prove to still not have learned, they shouldn't be welcome back at any point.

Then they shouldn't behave like assholes tbh. If they can keep their equipment turned on for several hours to dick about with their friends and torment other players, then they can keep it on for a few hours to reflect on their behavior. But I do agree the constant appealing of bans and getting back when it's clear they're not changing need to be looked at too. How many chances do you really need to give someone to figure out if they've learned or not.

Edited by Moonsong
  • Upvote 1
Just now, Moonsong said:

Then they shouldn't behave like assholes tbh. If they can keep their equipment turned on for several hours to dick about with their friends, then they can keep it on for a few hours to reflect on their behavior. But I do agree the constant appealing of bans and getting back when it's clear they're not changing need to be looked at too. How many chances do you really need to give someone to figure out of they've learned or not.

I'd say within three strikes you can see if a person learned or not. I'll go on a limb here and say majority of the offenders, most likely are on the younger side of the community, late teens to early 20's. Doubt people who are in their 30's who still play (yes, there are people in that age group) would dick around just to get punished especially when they have limited time even as is.

4 minutes ago, Moonsong said:

Then they shouldn't behave like assholes tbh. If they can keep their equipment turned on for several hours to dick about with their friends and torment other players, then they can keep it on for a few hours to reflect on their behavior. But I do agree the constant appealing of bans and getting back when it's clear they're not changing need to be looked at too. How many chances do you really need to give someone to figure out of they've learned or not.

Could start an entire conversation about environmental responsibility, but I'm not bothered enough. I agree though, they would be responsible themselves, I just don't think ajails are effective in any way, decrease the server load by just yeeting the players we don't want to use any sort of resource.

Edited by Triple Seven