PSA: Call more cabs!!!

perkele

19 hours ago, bricksbricksbricks said:

I wish there were more taxi's though, some more modern looking. 
All businesses should have a land line and be in the phone book.. I might use a taxi more if I knew what the flip I was ordering and who ,, too. Not wait until RANDOM arrives with a random fare price.

I'd think it be better if /taxi allowed for a message argument too.

/taxi We need a ride for 5 people at banana street

/taxi I need a cab for myself from Paleto to Sandyshores.

/taxi I need a taxi at Legion Square to del perro banana club FAST PAYING EXTRA

I completely agree, the taxi script should be revamped in a way where the driver gets more details and the customer can provide a more custom order than just a location. I am a taxi driver and I'm still hesitant to use the service because I never know what kind of a service will I get.

Currently playing as taxi driver. 

While is fun roleplay specially when your customers are good roleplayers and don't limit themselves to shut the fuck up for the whole ride, I am experiencing two big issues related to our shared dispatcher.

First issue is: in four hours I can only see six calls and I can manage to accept only two of them because some people really got them commands copied in their clipboard. This creates a very weird situation where you spend most of your playtime driving around or parked somewhere in hope you take a call. A good solution would be giving calls to ONE player per time. For example:

Five drivers on duty,  John Doe calls a taxi and only one driver takes the call,and he will receive another call after all the drivers on duty took one or ten minutes are passed, something like that. When a driver doesnt take the call in ten seconds,  dispatcher will forward that call to another driver. Seems stupid but it's the only solution I can think when it comes to shared dispatcher. 

Another issue is the common usage of /fixveh to teleport your cars to you. This command should be deleted or limited,  no way there are all of those bugs where you remain whitout your car, people just abuse fixveh. 

That's all from me.

Edit: i used to play in a server with only 60 players and people used to call taxi, thats why fixveh should be removed. I have seen more calls there than on gtaw.

Edited by bncal
20 minutes ago, bncal said:

Another issue is the common usage of /fixveh to teleport your cars to you. This command should be deleted or limited,  no way there are all of those bugs where you remain whitout your car, people just abuse fixveh. 

Literally yesterday evening, I used /vget while inside a building, only to come out and realize in horror that someone had parked in the same place. My vehicle had flown over a wall and was stuck there. Should I have called a taxi lol?

While I'm all for more taxi calls (I actually called a fair few in the last week), this kind of stuff above is a rather common occurrence. That time a guy landed a helicopter on top of another helicopter, because they rendered too late and couldn't see the helipad was used? Thank fuck for /fixveh to recover the heli that ended up in water. That time I crashed in the middle of a road and my car continued, throwing itself off a cliff in the ocean? Thank god for /fixveh again ^^' Or those more pedestrian times when the server crashed after an update and my car's position was still registered to Sandy Shores, even though I was back in Los Santos :x 

We seriously need to stop pretending fixveh is the only reason why cabs aren't called. Going back to the days when you had to open a /report three times a week because of a vehicle bug is not something anyone wants, trust me on that one ^^' 

Edited by Topinambour

Fixveh is needed otherwise we'd have admins receiving more reports to fix some car related bugs. Although, I think we should report more if we see people abusing fixveh. I think the complete removal of airport vehicles is a good measure. All of this won't fix the RP issue from it because not picking up a taxi is a matter of player mentality and not scripts. Sometimes you see people even oocly calling friends to give them a ride instead of picking up a cab.

6 hours ago, Topinambour said:

Literally yesterday evening, I used /vget while inside a building, only to come out and realize in horror that someone had parked in the same place. My vehicle had flown over a wall and was stuck there. Should I have called a taxi lol?

While I'm all for more taxi calls (I actually called a fair few in the last week), this kind of stuff above is a rather common occurrence. That time a guy landed a helicopter on top of another helicopter, because they rendered too late and couldn't see the helipad was used? Thank fuck for /fixveh to recover the heli that ended up in water. That time I crashed in the middle of a road and my car continued, throwing itself off a cliff in the ocean? Thank god for /fixveh again ^^' Or those more pedestrian times when the server crashed after an update and my car's position was still registered to Sandy Shores, even though I was back in Los Santos :x 

We seriously need to stop pretending fixveh is the only reason why cabs aren't called. Going back to the days when you had to open a /report three times a week because of a vehicle bug is not something anyone wants, trust me on that one ^^' 

fair point

On 1/31/2022 at 2:27 PM, Trupiano said:

To be honest, I’d use taxi’s more if I didn’t feel like there was a 95% chance I’m gonna be apart of Eastern European taxi adventures episode 256 each time I use the script.

Now, everyone is entitled to RP whatever they want but It feels like almost every time I have to use the thing I end up at the mercy of some stereotypically bad immigrant taxi driver who 1. Barely understand the English language, probably will use said language barrier to insult you. 2. Doesn’t know where anything is, will purposely go to wrong destinations “for the RP” and finally 3. Will undoubtedly either drive recklessly until they get pulled over OR will have some kind of random engine issues.

While I get there’s probably a lack of riders and these players are just trying to create the best RP (in their eyes) that they can for the few riders they do get. The result is an experience that makes me actively avoid using the taxi script in the future. I’ve got no problem engaging with the RP, but when that RP is being forced down my throat and takes me on a 30 minute detour because I’m stuck in the back of your car? I’ve only got so

much patients both IC and OOC.

Im really not trying to say this type of character is bad, nor am I trying to say cabbies shouldn’t be like that. Realistically, a lot of immigrants do drive cabs/Ubers in the United States and it can be a fun RP experience, the problem is the stereotypes and the dramatic level they are played up too.  My suggestion? Tone it down. Your character should AT LEAST know where things are in town and be able to drive around correctly. It’s a legitimate requirement for most cab companies.

This is a bit of a wall but very true. As someone who was, at one point, part of American taxi cab culture, there's a hell of a lot more people driving cabs than your stereotypical Indian cab driver who is a perfect caricature of the Taxi Driving NPC from GTA III. People should actually roleplay realistically believable people who drive cabs for a living more often - I had a divorced white guy who drove a cab once, but the idea died out because nobody takes cabs.

Edited by Dom.

Tried to call a taxi because 4 of us rolled up in a faction veh and I wanted to leave early.

Tried /taxi no one ever answered. Called a private taxi Daniel Silverstone who was already occupied. Called Habeeb, no answer.

Ended up getting the guy from autopia to pick me up as I was heading there to buy a vehicle.

5 hours ago, Junx said:

Tried to call a taxi because 4 of us rolled up in a faction veh and I wanted to leave early.

Tried /taxi no one ever answered. Called a private taxi Daniel Silverstone who was already occupied. Called Habeeb, no answer.

Ended up getting the guy from autopia to pick me up as I was heading there to buy a vehicle.

I suspect that some people are just using the taxi script for the free cash (I think it’s 4K an hour for up to 3 hours a day). I used /taxi during peak hours yesterday and there were no less than TEN taxis supposedly on duty. Didn’t get an answer for 4 calls over an hour. They need to at least implement a minimum calls per hour in the payment script or something. I think people are just camping it and emoting breathing every 5 minutes to advance to payment timer, hence why many times no one answers. 

Edited by Cypher99
2 hours ago, Cypher99 said:

I suspect that some people are just using the taxi script for the free cash (I think it’s 4K an hour for up to 3 hours a day). I used /taxi during peak hours yesterday and there were no less than TEN taxis supposedly on duty. Didn’t get an answer for 4 calls over an hour. They need to at least implement a minimum calls per hour in the payment script or something. I think people are just camping it and emoting breathing every 5 minutes to advance to payment timer, hence why many times no one answers. 

I do suspect the same. Usually a call gets accepted in 1 second, last time in shift i managed to accept a call one minute after i received the dispatcher text,  7 on duty. Btw seems like the taxi timer doesn't advance every 5 minutes, i might be wrong.  But still 4k every 60minutes

Edited by bncal
  • Wuhtah locked this topic