Hyperrealism and gatekeeping role-play

Mahitto

38 minutes ago, shaobadman said:

you could use scrubs as another example, i'm sure people who work in hospitals point out all kinds of flaws in the show but the average viewer definitely never cared, and the writers didn't spend the whole 20 odd minutes per episode focusing on teaching the viewer about medicine, we all know scrubs didn't portray a hospital with 100% accuracy, but it made for some very entertaining tv regardless and that's what you want from fiction

I actually tried to start a unionized private ambulance business with a few others initially based around hood paramedics working in the South Central area that took inspiration from more lighthearted comedies like Scrubs or Brooklyn 99, but obviously we got shut down because join FD.

Edited by Koko
2 hours ago, shaobadman said:

i'm realising that players in this community value time very differently, i've seen many instances of your first example and these "characters" are so void of any development or personality that they could be replaced with ai/npc, their character's role seems to be their primary function

new mantra to follow

you could use scrubs as another example, i'm sure people who work in hospitals point out all kinds of flaws in the show but the average viewer definitely never cared, and the writers didn't spend the whole 20 odd minutes per episode focusing on teaching the viewer about medicine, we all know scrubs didn't portray a hospital with 100% accuracy, but it made for some very entertaining tv regardless and that's what you want from fiction

Actually, scrubs has super accurate medicine, sure it has its hijinks, but the medicine side of it is super solid, and I think that is probably the best show to watch if you ever want to try Medical roleplay. Focus on the characters and the players, with medicine as a backdrop.

1 hour ago, Koko said:

I actually tried to start a unionized private ambulance business with a few others initially based around hood paramedics working in the South Central area that took inspiration from more lighthearted comedies like Scrubs or Brooklyn 99, but obviously we got shut down because join FD.

We got close my friend... we got close...

https://streamable.com/iqsh3r

Edited by KinnyWynny
1 hour ago, Koko said:

EMS/fire is by far the most gate kept of anything public safety and it'd be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

I've seen /at least/ three well written, excellent presentations for private EMS in my time, all killed by LFM or just stonewalled because "join FD".

Meanwhile, we have four law enforcement factions with largely overlapping areas and responsibilities.

• Upvote 5
36 minutes ago, bartman said:

I've seen /at least/ three well written, excellent presentations for private EMS in my time, all killed by LFM or just stonewalled because "join FD".

Not to be the dick, but what are the main reasons why you wouldn’t join FD? Does it have to do with the faction, the aesthetic or is it just that people are genuinely and solely interested in private EMS? 

35 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Not to be the dick, but what are the main reasons why you wouldn’t join FD? Does it have to do with the faction, the aesthetic or is it just that people are genuinely and solely interested in private EMS? 

Because, most of the people who get asked this have already been in the LSFD, bartman included, so as Koko and countless others. Heres a few reasons why people pushed for Private EMS in the first place, there are way more reasons, but these are some of my own personal ones.

Reason 1: Its an entirely different faction and atmosphere compared to the LSFD. The LSFD is a municipal well funded government agency with multiple response types, as such the culture is so widely different to Private EMS. The LSFD Chief isn't going to announce tomorrow that OT checks have been cut to save on cash, or post Ambulances in corner spots because they can't afford Stations. They also won't deal with the level of private corruption that Private EMS is plagued with, from medicaid fraud, burn out negligence, terrible supervisors etc. You also can't really get away with the Corporate supervisor being a scumbag, because you're the Municipal Fire Department, the good guys. The Aesthetic is just not as comparable. While I love the LSFD, I think it could be so much better if other parts of the map had shitty transit van ambulances sat in parking lots, posting in the neighborhood and interacting with the community while dreading the next inter-facility callout or BS call they'd get sent too. We also had plans to streamline EMS roleplay as much as possible, work as a team, and smooth it out to the point where trauma calls, the vast majority of calls on the server, could be cleared out in fifteen minutes.

Reason 2: Because EMS has essentially been the same on every server since SAMP, a Fire Department based monopoly, most systems in the US are a mix of Private, third service and Fire Departments. LA County has three major Ambulance companies that run calls with the County Fire Department, but they entirely provide the Ambulance response. Private EMS also has significantly different opportunities, the latest proposal last year had a fully functional Union, legal team, corporate structure and management that planned to create events inside of the company, like wage cuts, forced OT, occasional fraud, ambulance bills, and corporate shenanigans. Something you'd never see in normal public safety which would've spiced up EMS roleplay a ton on the server.

Reason 3: The Company itself had to rely entirely on its own to survive, it wouldn't be given a little fiefdom or jurisidiction, it was planned for it to negotiate contracts with the City, Paleto Bay, the County Sheriffs, we even had talks going on with Port Authority and numerous other entities to provide Ambulance services. That level of corporate negotiation and need for Ambulances gives an entirely different channel of roleplay. If the Operation Managers of Anonymous Ambulance Company couldn't get the funding they needed, they'd get booted for the next lackies to take over.

tl;dr, its a different aesthetic, a different alternative, and something fresh that adds variety to a very stagnant area and is something that has never been tried before.

The exception of course is Americare on LSRP SAMP, but I never played that server, only heard third party accounts of it, and I feel like thats the main issue with in this case, EMS roleplay, but I feel like this is a larger legal faction issue in general. People are afraid to divert from the norm and see something new, when PHMC became a thing, the LSFD was very wary, and its been like that for any medical agency trying to get its foot in the ground. The only reason the LSPD/LSSD/SAPR got added in the first place was that law enforcement has signifcant enough weight that people want these alternatives. Alternatives which breathed life into law enforcement roleplay, and keep people in that circle of roleplay. Thats not the same for EMS roleplay, its stagnant, to no fault of the LSFD, who go through herculean efforts to gain more members and keep things fresh, but sometimes you just wanna be a sleep-deprived fresh out of college EMT whos one Monster energy drink away from dying of a caffeine overdose with his partner snoring in the passenger seat while posted in the parking lot of Davis mall.

That level of alternative fresh air is missing and its painful to see. A private EMS faction isn't the enemy of the LSFD, it could be the best thing that could happen to it. Since more Ambulances = More Fire Engines etc. But unfortunately, its never going to happen, we're never going to see an alternative to the LSFD, because the response every proposal get that isn't a stonewall, is this; "why don't you join the LSFD"

most of us already have.

Anyways I don't want to crowd this topic, this is an ENTIRELY different conversation. To give it some connection to hyperrealism, its more fun to be authentic then realistic. This is a clip illustrating what I mean, the movie? Wasn't super accurate Medicine wise, it got a lot wrong, but the characters /felt/, acted and breathed Paramedicine to the point where the accuracy doesn't matter, because you feel the character of what EMS can be.

Edited by KinnyWynny
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
4 hours ago, eTaylor said:

I used to be in FD. In fact I used to be in charge of Training & Recruitment and created the volunteer firefighter system back in 2018/2019.

The main reasons I wouldn't join again are basically because of differences in RP priorities and styles that are just rooted in FD culture.

Just now, Koko said:

I used to be in FD. In fact I used to be in charge of Training & Recruitment and created the volunteer firefighter system back in 2018/2019.

The main reasons I wouldn't join again are basically because of differences in RP priorities and styles that are just rooted in FD culture.

Could you be more specific, or just PM me if it's an issue. I'm just curious, it's hard for me to understand how someone else can dictate your priority and style. I mean, if you want to do ambulance services, do they stop you from doing them or something?

21 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Could you be more specific, or just PM me if it's an issue. I'm just curious, it's hard for me to understand how someone else can dictate your priority and style. I mean, if you want to do ambulance services, do they stop you from doing them or something?

5 hours ago, eTaylor said:

It goes beyond that, and it does somewhat tie into the discussion at hand. Mind you, this is my subjective opinion obviously:

FD (mostly by virtue of being an official "server" faction) is very "sanitized", with access to practically every resource they ask for and a budget that is technically not endless but might as well be, because they are, at their very core, a server faction that provides a defined, specific (mostly) script-dictated service.

There is a high level of specialization and professionalism expected IC from all members to present as a poster child for EMS, and the way of things is pretty much by the books, rigid and system-oriented. Everything goes well because they will have everything they need so that it goes well. There's no real room for IC dissent or a bit of workplace dynamics because really you have everything and more as part of FD.

There's just not a lot of room to expand your professional or personal RP beyond faction guidelines and practices and the faction always seems pretty resistant to add more character-centric initiatives, since it's more important that the faction runs perfectly.

(Rushed post from work, will re-read later)

Edited by Koko
12 hours ago, Koko said:

that sounds like a great addition to south ls and it's extremely disappointing to hear it got shut down

10 hours ago, KinnyWynny said:

Actually, scrubs has super accurate medicine, sure it has its hijinks, but the medicine side of it is super solid, and I think that is probably the best show to watch if you ever want to try Medical roleplay. Focus on the characters and the players, with medicine as a backdrop.

i did assume it was quite accurate for medicine but wanted a margin of error, it's one of my all time favourite shows and the writers always kept the right amount of actual hospital work within each episode's plot, and they'd use them as guides for the more personal/social stories in each episode, that's exactly how rp professions should be

• Wuhtah locked this topic