Suicides (Self-CK) should not be allowed to Name Change

Welsh

As for most things, a blanket ban or catch-all solution usually punishes the few good amongst the many bad apples. Same applies to this suggestion.

What we should be looking for is educating people on the one hand, and punish shit roleplay on the other - most suicide situations I came across were cries for attention, holding as many people to then yeet oneself off the building and PK, effectively wasting everyones time for the sake of drama. Most suicidal individuals you find IRL can be put in two categories - the "attention whore" aka the person that does not actually want to commit sudoku and acts in a desperate attempt to gain attention and to eventually receive the needed help, and the one that will just do it. They are usually quiet and yeet themself off a building, shoot/hang/poison themself and so forth without stirring a lot of drama or informing people because they already made the decision to end their life.

The GTAW stereotype on the other hand is reaching for as much attention as possible and then yeeting themself off the building ultimately. There is nothing unique about these people and you could replace them in each of these instances - it would not make a difference if lesbian XY broke up with their girlfriend or someone's hamster died so they suddenly felt the urge to call police, fire and any other agency to then yeet themself off the buiding in front of a large audience.

11 minutes ago, TotalDeeJay said:

But should users be able to Name Change, in a situation that has led them to Self-CK? (Using the server terminology)

This would be an especially unique deterrent for a roleplay concept, and its uniqueness is what deters me from supporting it. It feels as though a double-standard has been raised for this one concept alone. Players are able to name-change if CKed for lack of fear by an admin. I'd argue that being CKed for a lack of fear RP is akin to characters committing suicide frivolously; both show poor character portrayal and development. Should we start disallowing players from name-changing after being  CKed by an admin as well?

There are also numerous circumstances in which a self-CK is warranted: @nwah_ had a character who long-struggled with personal demons including substance abuse and ended up Over-dosing once the character had run their proverbial course. It was a fitting end to the character with a long build-up. Should they have to leave all their assets behind simply because they chose to self-CK in a circumstance that was narratively and thematically appropriate to their character?

There's a lot of bad roleplayers committing suicide, sure, but that doesn't spoil the mere concept of suicide in roleplay. I disagree with trying to decentivize something based upon this alone. 

• Applaud 1

If Los Santos in it's current state was an actual IRL inhabitable city in America we'd have a lot more suicides than we currently do, especially if Hell Hole Los Santos and it's inhabitants are treated as knock-off Los Angeles/California.

The problem OP and the majority of the people have on this thread are bad RP'ers OOC'ly taking the easy way out IG, not suicide as a RP concept. Can understand suicide being a touchy subject to RP but I really hope people aren't pushing to remove the RP of it completely, slippery slope and all. Start reporting people for using it as a shortcut to jump ship, even if the community will call you petty for reporting obvious rule breaks.

Edited by BINGBONGGHOST
30 minutes ago, knppel said:

I think it's not about "too sensitive", the core motivation is that- in our game environment unironically- people use suicide as a way to escape consequences their character would possibly have to suffer from.

That alone would not be problematic, but the quantity makes the total amount, not the (ic or ooc) motivation. And here we run into the problems.

This is the key: Realistically, you'd not have a that big percentage of the population suiciding as you have in LS (arguably that is because we don't respawn with clear warrant sheet irl if we fuck up).

While for the acting player it seems as easy way out, it still leaves the dynamic environment of the character to deal with (often yet another) suicide case in the neighbourhood to which people will then react (with in creasing ignorance over time as it's so common someone does it).

Suicide-rp, furthermore, is almost always not actually dramatic but the tactical attempt to put the blame for some failure on another players' character (while at the same time conveniently erasing the own ic knowledge that might possibly clear up things).

Enforcement is not possible, as you can't force people to play characters they do not want to play anymore, but indeed what could be done is simply less support for suicide rp from staff side.

Let people just run from the city as it used to be if they're bored of their character.

No one suffers trauma from some asshole leaving town

True, but we can't compare any of our statistics to real life. Realistically, you wouldn't have 12-year-olds deal kilos of cocaine against each other and shoot each other to death every 2 minutes, you wouldn't have people robbing literally everyone every 30 minutes, Afghanistan-level shootouts happening by the hour, literal corpse looting in the middle of the city and many, many other things. Even the ones not related to crime - you wouldn't change your car this often, you wouln't "buy any business", not make millions from an active chinese tea shop, you wouldn't call a car with 1800 miles useless etc. Our statistics are perfectly valid within our own little world and if something's off, we can take IC action against it.

The problem against forbidding suicide is that we're beggining to restrict role-play more and more, which will ultimately lead to nothing good or realistic, while also encouraging people to come up with funky ways of dying if they really want to yeet that character off - sure, we'll get rid of attention-seekers jumping off a building and instead be plagued with people causing massive vehicle accidents, shootouts, drownings etc.

There are a few people using suicide as a way to get attention but trust me, there aren't that many people doing it. If someone's doing it in a trollish manner, proceed as you would in any other situation and RPQM report them.

6 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

True, but we can't compare any of our statistics to real life

Just to clarify, I'm not implying we should adamantly attempt to stick to numbers we'll not reach either way when I cite them, but this is stuff we have to take in account when roleplaying- how does it affect our ic environment and all that.

I get suiciding is the ultimate disregard for the environment, but that just makes it even more crucial to carefully consider such moves on ooc level.

5 minutes ago, ZaE said:

who cares

Well, the friends of the deceased. When it happens the first time and it's a tragedy.

When you live in LS for a year and have people seen do it repeatedly (lmao, like literally in some cases the same people repeating it) you can't take it seriously anymore.

Which is not necessarily a good thing, so yeah- let's talk about suicide rp.

I understand that some people doesn't take suicide roleplay lightly. But why would it matter if I CK my character to suicide or to a fatal shootout. Why do you care about what character I namechange and why I namechange it. Why do you feel like LOCKING a namechange behind the reason of your character's death is something needed.
Not needed in my opinion.

What's next? "Ban every player that does something that could trigger someone"?

Edited by Fasholy
Just now, knppel said:

Well, the friends of the deceased. When it happens the first time and it's a tragedy.

When you live in LS for a year and have people seen do it repeatedly (lmao, like literally in some cases the same people repeating it) you can't take it seriously anymore.

Which is not necessarily a good thing, so yeah- let's talk about suicide rp.

or lets just not talk abt sucicide RP because if someone gets bored of a concept too often and keeps killing off their character i mean what can u do? rp it however much makes u confortamble but dont not allow them to name change just becuz they wanted to write their character off, they can do whatever they fuck they want with their char

1 minute ago, Fasholy said:

What's next? "Ban every player that does something that could trigger someone"?

couldnt have said it better myself, yall care abt what other people do with their world points (to name change) and characters too much...

1 minute ago, ZaE said:

if someone gets bored of a concept too often and keeps killing off their character i mean what can u do?

As I've said above- just make a new character instead to try to give the shitty one a dramatic and ultimative escalation, would be an option.

I do get the idea of not getting warm with a new character, it happens (I've not created Carry as my first ever character  to stick to, no surprise).

But if I don't fancy playing a character I created, there's no point in creating a dramatic exit.

Edited by knppel
  • Wuhtah locked this topic