Rule 6 - Removing under 16s

Coburn

38 minutes ago, Barbary said:

I'm still not in support of raising the minimum age to 16 (14, maybe, but 16's too much) but I do have to echo the problem that one of the biggest problem with minor characters is that often times they don't really act their age. Part of me wonders if what we really need is a new rule requiring M characters to fear RP even more than an adult. A lot of kids have the problem of acting like they're Spartans from Halo. Hell, it often feels like they RP less fear than other OCG characters that are 18+.

It's not a gang issue but it's certainly a portrayal issue that needs to be mitigated, hopefully in a way that doesn't have collateral damage.

Counterpoint, its completely normal for teens to think they're invincible. I've noticed a lot too, that people will call out minor characters for their behavior, thinking they're unrealistic. Like have any of you been to a high school lately? A lot of people seem to expect 14 year olds to act like if they were 7, when in reality there really isn't much of a difference between people from 15 to 25, maturity wise. The only real thing to keep in mind is experience, kids generally think they know everything but the reality is they don't know shit. I know I've been guilty of that thinking...

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Suraru said:

Like have any of you been to a high school lately? A lot of people seem to expect 14 year olds to act like if they were 7, when in reality there really isn't much of a difference between people from 15 to 25, maturity wise. 

Yes, I have. The cons of having to haul family home from classes once in a while. And while there's been a few shitheads, they aren't anywhere near the norm. The biggest case I can remember was one kid fucking around with my niece, and slamming the horn on my car got him to cut it out pretty fast.

• Upvote 1
On 10/20/2023 at 10:04 AM, front toward enemy said:

gta rp didnt exist when the wire came out brother

Then when it got hyped or the internet brought it back. If you roleplayed on LS-RP then you know what I mean. Wilcox Associates basically replaced one form of gang roleplay for the other. 

On 10/16/2021 at 5:24 PM, Coburn said:

Age up and strike a deal with your gang leader that you joined the gang when you were 12, problem solved.

not everyone starts as a 16 yr old local, and why would we strike a deal with our faction leader and say that we joined the gang at the age of 12? we have to start off as a local first and work our way up. not alot of people like to be gang members off the rip, they want to develop first. it's better to develop as a younger kid hanging around the gang.

we can obviously see that you've never done any street gang roleplay with how your saying this

Edited by barrio ruler
  • Upvote 1

The real problem is not the portrayal of children, or that some of the kids portrayed are overly aggressive/ignorant/etc. , exaggerations and questionable portrayal happen just as much with adult characters.

My main issue is how when portraying an adult, I'm forced to step down to this level and take the kids seriously as they are subject to exactly the same rules ultimately.

I have to fear kids (lol) or it might cost my life, and what's worse, I have to make kids fear my adult char if I want a setting where my adult char is not generally afraid of kids (as that is the only way to keep them at bay given by the rules, being more feared).

It might just be me but adults trying to make kids fear them is the real issue, and our rule sets -including again the detail most kids are effectively gangsters- constantly forces adults to do that, or risk to fall victim being constantly abused by kids. Which, well lol is a little ironic but not really making much sense.

9 hours ago, knppel said:

I have to fear kids (lol) or it might cost my life, and what's worse, I have to make kids fear my adult char if I want a setting where my adult char is not generally afraid of kids (as that is the only way to keep them at bay given by the rules, being more feared).

I mean, this all seems very realistic to me, personally.

There's plenty of stories of adults actually fearing groups of teens who constantly vandalize or assault people, and said teens behaving fearless in the face of both the law and older dudes who can't keep up. But, there's also a lot of stories of kids not being taken seriously solely due to their age despite their actual capabilities.

And yes, in scenarios where shit does go down, there is a very high likelihood someone in their mid 20s will absolutely crush someone in their mid teens, but that doesn't stop them from trying anyways. Like I said earlier, most kids think they're invincible, and comprehending consequences apparently doesn't become fully developed until 25ish. The only reason why every kid isn't a gang banging punk is because most kids have semi-decent parents who can steer them away from that path by teaching them morality.

• Upvote 1

I still don't understand why (M) characters are allowed to do things such as punch adults, tackle adults, drive at 130 mph or shoot guns/rifles without an impairment, or use hard drugs. 

There's no way 15 year old me could fight an adult or hop a 6 foot fence, a teenager barely has any strength.

Edited by pateuvasiliu