Rule 6 - Removing under 16s

Coburn

6 minutes ago, Moonsong said:

100% yes, there's absolutely no good reason why there should be any characters under the age of 16, even then many can't be portrayed realistically. It's uncomfortable to have to deal with them, and more often than not, extremely crimgeworthy.

this line of logic literally applies to everything else though. portrayal issues happen way too often across the board even with big factions that are supposedly looked over by faction management. truth is that with a mostly european playerbase, there’s bound to be mistakes when it comes to portraying a lot of things in what is essentially a fictional LA. end of the day though? we make do with what we have.

the reason why characters under 16 are important is because in gang environments 16 is already too advanced in most cases. certain gangs start recruitment incredibly early (talking as early as 6-7 years old here), so there’s definitely a need for underage characters to exist.

as far as portrayal being problematic? i hate to say it but RPQM exists solely for that purpose. to say that there’s “absolutely no good reason” is just a heavily one sided take with no substance to give it any weight. i believe you are probably from a legal RP background or an illegal but not gang oriented background which is probably why you seem to be out of the loop in that regard. 

21 minutes ago, Moonsong said:

100% yes, there's absolutely no good reason why there should be any characters under the age of 16, even then many can't be portrayed realistically. It's uncomfortable to have to deal with them, and more often than not, extremely crimgeworthy.

Gang recruitment typically starts much younger than 16. Most people start becoming associated with gangs at very young ages, which is why there is characters.

There might not be a good reason to you because you don't do illegal rp, but taking away teenage characters would take away pretty much every gang's main recruitment base.

If you think a teenage character is being portrayed poorly, report them to their faction's leadership.

Edited by Decker
  • Upvote 1

It's safe to say that the majority of minor characters are being played within a street-gang faction or a community / area that is swarming with crime. This is not an issue, and if anything allows them to develop their character smoothly with a completely IC story, showing how they got their foot in the door and fell into the wrong crowds, and so on. As stated in Decker's response, gang recruitment usually happens much younger than 16, as that's when the leaders of these gangs will be able to crack their minds, when they're still young and impressionable.

I don't think most people's issue is the fact that there are minor characters existing, it's the fact that there are people roleplaying minors with the mind, knowledge, and  finances of an adult. If we saw more roleplay of the kids playing basketball or games of tag, learning how to drive from one of their big homies, or just more general stuff that kids would be doing instead? We'd have a happier community and a more positive view towards it. The real problematic minor characters are the ones who freshly NC into a new faction and start looking for any beef, or action, because they're not imaginative enough to believe their character would be doing much other being a shit head.

I don't think there should be any extra barrier on age, the ones that exist now are fine.

Edited by AR-2002
  • Upvote 2
15 minutes ago, AR-2002 said:

The real problematic minor characters are the ones who freshly NC into a new faction and start looking for any beef, or action, because they're not imaginative enough to believe their character would be doing much other being a shit head.

This is pretty much the core issue. It’s not helped that most of these characters look stupid as hell like they went to the character creator and said “gimme Riley from Boondocks” and then started spreading the ash of their dead RP everywhere they go. These are the people cops and civies see most because apart from the occasional fight or vandalism you rarely interact with “good” gang youth outside of seeing them in their territory. And they are fine, they’ll roleplay support and dependency systems that you can always interact with and give gangs levels of authenticity and different depths. Especially as a cop, there are different things you can shake out of a child as opposed to a hardened Sureno. 

But people don’t complain about that, they don’t see that. All they see is some kid with moppy dreads screaming on discord “IM DRIPPY CUH” dressing like their favorite YouTuber while being an absolute menace IG mirroring Roblox RP with Fortnite shenanigans. It’s a different level of engagement with the game that collides with our own. People take this game seriously to different degrees and that’s fine but the people that fall outside the “norm” take forever to get banned. And before they do they leave a trail of destruction in their collective wake. In this case, that destruction is the destruction of teen roleplay for gangs. 

• Upvote 3
  • 3 weeks later...

The excuse of wanting to roleplay a pre-teen in a gang environment because "it's realistic" is thrown out the window the same moment these 13 to 16 year-old characters spawn in with a gun, ready to shoot, do not roleplay fear at all and more often than not end up being cookie cutter NPC characters or straight up drug lords moving ounces a day.  9 out of 10 times age isn't roleplayed accordingly. 

If you believe a person can't roleplay a character under 16 years old correctly, RPQM them or forum report whatever questionable things they been doing. I don't know if you understand that the problem isn't the age of these characters but instead the person who roleplays the character, I've met some young characters in factions who roleplay their age FLAWLESSLY but then I met some factionless davis LTD mofo who somehow was allowed to roleplay 13 and couldn't roleplay for shit. 

You're getting nothing from getting rid of 15 or 14 year old characters (13 and down is very uncommon tbh), just get rid of the bad roleplayers who can't roleplay a minor character for shit.

I don't know why people keep crying about (M)'s hitting on adult characters like it will change anything, they're literally breaking a RULE in the server. Fucking report it and go on with your day, I guarantee it will be picked up in minutes if not seconds as it's a very sensible topic admins tend to pick up really fast. Get rid of these freaks and keep the roleplayers.

I'll say it again. The issue isn't the character's age, it's the person who roleplays the character.

By removing this you will simply ruin a lot of faction's roleplay quality, and the same people doing stupid shit with 14 year old characters will do it with 16-18 year old characters.

I don't know what else you gotta hear to be convinced, it's not rocket science. 

• Upvote 2

People are making these threads with such little knowledge about illegal roleplay, they usually make these threads because minor characters break rules. But, let me say this. There are also many adult characters who break rules, are we going to start making threads and getting rid of adult characters?

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 2