Rule 6 - Removing under 16s

Coburn

3 minutes ago, Coburn said:

Another person must be /ACTIVELY/ roleplaying as their guardian, fully onboard with that.

Yes - the other person must be around to actively RP with underage character. NPCing an older figure should be forbidden. The second person doesn't have to be a parent/grandparent/older sibling/guardian/carer. They could also have a social worker or foster parent, making it more realistic for player who chooses to a roleplay gang  child without family. 

13 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

+1

You can’t hide behind the shield of ‘character development’ & relate to how RL gangs work when there is an epidemic of cop killing 13-14 year olds who are 6’+ and somehow as strong as super boy and able to outfight fully grown adult males.

^ This 100%. Also, I'm sick of these kind of underaged characters acting like adults... but then complain and bitch when they receive adult consequences. I completely understand why people want to ban underaged characters off the server. 

Edited by SweetDaffodil
Spelling Error.
2 minutes ago, SweetDaffodil said:

^ This 100%. Also I'm sick of these kind of underaged characters acting like a adults... but then complain and bitch when they receive adult consequences. I completely understand why people want to ban underaged characters off the server. 

@Murat

A ban is just simpler and cleaner.  As others have said, we only have adult models to choose from so unless you examine everyone you meet you have no idea if somebody is a kid or not from distance.  I feel like having underaged characters around is also a legal/reputational problem waiting to happen.  There is a lot of adult stuff that goes on and nobody can be there to police everything.  We already have angry kids doxing people after getting banned, wouldn't be too hard to start harming the server with various claims about underaged RP.  Not to mention that possibly a few bad child RPers have given the whole age-group a bad reputation in the community: trying to hit on adult women, acting like adults then breaking out the "but i'm a child" line when they get arrested.  As FD said starting this thread, what are they meant to do when they treat a kid but then there is nobody to release them to?  It doesn't make sense and I think it has just become a kind of "meta" for avoiding some of the consequences of IC actions.

Edited by Paenymion
Just now, Coburn said:

Why are you @‘ing me? 

There will never be a situation where people are forced to roleplay a certain age, let alone 18 to be exact. It doesn’t work in terms of Gang RP. This isn’t any sort of mob where you develop from 20+, you’re roleplaying being from the same neighbourhood and acting like you grew up with each other. I find it very insulting for people who’ve never done Gang RP to say: “A simple solution is to start at 18” - it doesn’t work.

39 minutes ago, Coburn said:

If its anything like gangs in the UK, below 18 they act as drug mules and deal, in GTA they act as cop killers, it's frankly unrealistic as fuck and the excuse of gangRP will be destroyed is a joke. 

Gangs can still deal drugs and shoot people regardless of how old their characters are.

Dog, this isn't the UK. We are roleplaying the virtual counterpart of Los Angeles.

• Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, Murat said:

There will never be a situation where people are forced to roleplay a certain age, let alone 18 to be exact. It doesn’t work in terms of Gang RP. This isn’t any sort of mob where you develop from 20+, you’re roleplaying being from the same neighbourhood and acting like you grew up with each other. I find it very insulting for people who’ve never done Gang RP to say: “A simple solution is to start at 18” - it doesn’t work.

I agree - which is why I don't support completely nuking all underaged characters. Even though I've never done this kind of roleplay, I assume most of the fun comes from building up a young kid who associated with gangs in their youth then turning them into respected leaders of said gang when they're older (correct me if I'm wrong).  However, a lot of the frustration comes from some of these young gang banger characters going around the map acting like untouchable serial murderers; which I assume why this rule suggestion thread was even created in the first place. It's a massive problem when they persistently flirt with older women, pick fights with everyone without any fear whatsoever, immediately resort to death matching or simply not act like children. Then it becomes even more frustrating when they try to wiggle out of IC and OOC consequences under the veil of "I'm just a kid!!!"

Don't get me wrong, I like interacting with underaged characters - gang affiliated or not. Some of the most memorable RP experiences of my time on GTAW have been with underaged characters. But we're sick of the stupid ones who ruin the roleplay for others; all because they want to act like supermen who can do whatever they want and get away from consequences just because they are children. It's quite annoying. 

Edited by SweetDaffodil
Spelling Error.
3 minutes ago, SweetDaffodil said:

I assume most of the fun comes from building up a young kid who associated with gangs in their youth then turning them into respected leaders of said gang when they're older (correct me if I'm wrong).

You’re right, I think the posting party has had horrible experiences with Gang RPers which gives him PTSD, because he’s generalising everybody to be a bad youth roleplayer. 

I don't agree with restricting characters to the age of 18. The current rule of 16 is fine.

IF people need to roleplay someone under the age of 16 then it should be behind an application and it should be a tough application, and admins should be a lot stricter when it comes to them portraying a character under the age of 16.

• Coburn changed the title to Rule 6 - Removing under 16s