Bars and clubs...

Dustyboi

There is in excess of 1,700 bars and nightclubs in Los Angeles and nightlife is specifically rife in the areas designated in the OP. Namely West Hollywood, Hollywood, Downtown L.A and Hermosa Beach. The aforementioned areas are a playground for A-Listers, celebrities, influences and generally those wanting to experience LA's world class nightlife and profligacy. Many of us want our experiences to be as immersive as possible, so I for one would be against cushioning the area with "unique concepts" just to be unconventional. Sell your business model with good roleplay. At the end of the day, we go where it makes sense for our characters to go. I won't bowl, ice skate or go trampolining because it doesn't make sense to my character. Going to a bar does.

• Upvote 2
39 minutes ago, Chuckles said:

just to be unconventional. Sell your business model with good roleplay. At the end of the day, we go where it makes sense for our characters to go. I won't bowl, ice skate or go trampolining because it doesn't make sense to my character. Going to a bar does.

Yes, bunch of italians on a goth party, makes sense. People treat clubs and bars as rp hubs for all sorts of roleplay and only rarely it actually makes sense.

I might edit that into my original post.

"I won't bowl, ice skate, go trampolining or attend an Italian goth bar because it doesn't make sense to my character. Going to normal bar does."

Maybe I should specific what kind of bar in future posts. To avoid being branded an Italian goth. These arguments get weirder every day!

Edited by Chuckles
  • Upvote 1

Sadly, people not going to businesses that aren't nightclubs and bars is a big issue, but, it'd still be cool to have an actual restaurant open semi-frequently incase anyone ever wants like, food, to survive and shit. 

Unique businesses are well and good, but I'd kill for an open fast-food place. 

30 minutes ago, Chuckles said:

I might edit that into my original post.

"I won't bowl, ice skate, go trampolining or attend an Italian goth bar because it doesn't make sense to my character. Going to normal bar does."

Maybe I should specific what kind of bar in future posts. To avoid being branded an Italian goth. These arguments get weirder every day!

I didn't mean it like that. I merely took a jab at people who just look at the map, see greenlit icon and go there cause they are bored. Which led me to bunch of suit clad italians in a goth club asking themselves what the hell is this place.

You're not wrong. I personally run a traditional bar in the middle of Hawick and put emphasis on the fact that it's old fashioned and dated. But regardless of marketing or promotion people will still come in and ask for these distinct cocktails. It the current form of advertising it's hard to run a dive bar that showcases a specific aesthetic. But it's just one of them things you just have to roll with the punches on.

Edited by Chuckles

What can be done (and I've said since I went into businesses here) is to re-evaluate the financial incentive various sorts of businesses get.

It's unpopular to seriously criticize this ("Do it for the rp") but specifically for businesses, what this argument forgets is that to realistically reflect anything but a failing business that eventually ends up closed lacking money or interest, a little profit-orientated thinking is not fluff, but mandatory.

After all, the typical intention is to ideally establish a lasting business, or at least make money from it.

From this point of view nightclubs shine currently as with a relatively low effort (nightclubs are regarded as bad and overused anyway even by those visiting it, ha!) you can make quite comfortable bank as long as you manage to pick a slot where enough people will pass by your club.

Even if they fail to consume drinks and do not actually come to stay, them alone entering the premise will (for the first 40) fill up the business bank.

Operate on low cost with a bunch of friends you pay "realistic" wages too/share resources ooc and you can rake in tons of money easily (and hire on the free market and fill your club and you'll still make good net gains, I tried with less gov support back then).

On the contrary to that stands your usual unique store concept, be it sex shop or jewelry (I tried the later, too), where typically you'll put in much more effort to roleplay with the single customer, and serious profit relies on them purchasing high priced goods (which do not fit every unique store concept- that's why jewelries boom, but that is another topic for itself).

Frequency of customers will (exceptions stating the rule) be lower in regular openings, and not every customer will actually buy something.

And of course it's exactly as several people said, even if certain game design factors have to be taken in account:

The market eventually follows the law of supply and demand.

Evidently, people want to open bars and clubs, elsewise PM would not receive applications for them. And people do want to visit them- places that really stay empty failing to attract people against their competition typically do shut down eventually again.

And if they stay open and we all dance elsewhere-

badc741a0dc542e0ca49c4e2eceab9b9.png

Last but not least by all criticism on the game design and possible improvements on balance there could be made with financial incentives given to player characters, we also have to take in account the system works halfway:

It might not be glamorous or super profitable, but it will allow any rp and a reliable (if low) income to operate any sort of store or other unique concept as staff salaries can be covered on a minimum level by /startshift, visitors will still grant support if it's needed to feed the business if it's low-value wares vended.

tl;dr,

visitors grant safe funding and nightclubs attract lots of bypassers while at the same time being a cool thing to run, and it comes down to the financial carrot-stick in the end of the day (even if everyone argues that other clubs or whatever competition suck and they just try to make the revolution. Characters naturally also want to be rewarded for such efforts).

• Wuhtah locked this topic