How did you 'improve' as a roleplayer?

books

I totally read the thread name wrong and thought it said,  "How do you improve as roleplayer?". I'm keeping it up so y'all can get the knowledge but I just did the first paragraph ever since I started roleplaying and it worked for me.

Go to a club or any crowded setting, wait for long /me roleplayers. Steal their key-words that add depth or texture. Roleplay your actions concisely and depending on the roleplay environment you should try to adjust your /me size. I usually try to go for 2 liner /me with usually 100-150 characters per line because anything over than that is seen as clogging the chat box to some people. If you want to practice your long line /me, you should find another long /me user and hang out with them. Most people are really helpful when it comes to learning to roleplay and will try to help you perform better. Unless you're in gang rp, then it's people in /b complaining about how you came from Roblox RP or something because they voided something and complained when another IC confrontation happened.

All in all, start with passive rp or roleplay you didn't go out of your way to get yourself in to become patient in roleplay situations. But this is not really a heavy roleplay server from what I've seen out of other heavy roleplay servers on different mediums. So you'll be fine, this is a mix of hrp and mrp. Compare this to HL2RP on Gmod or HRP on SS13, some World of Warcraft RP servers even. There is usually no room for mistakes on servers like those and you will usually get banned/ignored in the first hour if you can not roleplay an actual character and not a meme gimmick that relies on that gimmick to create roleplay situations.

I think  most roleplayers on this server should read this thread because of the amount of stuff that can be seen as not heavy rp that I see. "I.E, Telling your thoughts in /me, /me looks angry at what X said." That is not heavy RP and never will be. Most heavy role-players know how to use their facial features to tell their emotions and do not rely on OOC /mes, funny thing is it's usually these people letting others know how they're the master roleplayers. Here's a good example on how you can add depth to your character without adding onto much. Lets do someone confused at a situation. Most roleplayers will hit you with the "/me has a puzzled look on their face." And that is perfectly fine with this type of roleplay but you want to improve that and become the ERP machine. So let's try this one out with the use of our facial features and actions to tell the emotion we're trying to convey. "/me raises an eyebrow as he squints at X, scratching his cheek for a second."  Now that's another perfect fine use of a /me that uses three actions to convey an emotion all in one. Now you can just use one of these actions or you can add onto it and give it more depth, instead of giving out these monotone expressions. I've been roleplaying since I was 7 years old on Habbo Hotel, moved on to World of Warcraft then HL2RP going onto SS13 and GTA:W. You can improve your roleplay skills like anything else in the world if that's what you really want. Half of these long /me players have the picture right but not the execution. On SS13 you had to be writing paragraphs as well make them make sense and not give out any MG information. but that brings me to the other thing about how everyone thinks they're the better roleplayer because they came from a more "heavy roleplay environment" That's usually BS and they probably got banned for mg or shit rp. Roleplay is roleplay at the end of the day, don't let other people control your roleplay only influence it.

Edited by Slumped
Added disclaimer/edited some stuff

I stopped thinking I knew everything and started to explore what makes us human and focused on the simple details such as habits, psychology and triggers. I joined factions and observed their teaching. What made me truly unique in my poetic style is my love for literature. Books initially helped me because, you're given the perspective of the protagonist.

43 minutes ago, Slumped said:

Go to a club, wait for long /me roleplayers. Steal their key-words that add depth or texture. Roleplay your actions concisely and depending on the roleplay environment you should try to adjust your /me size. I usually try to go for 2 liner /me with usually 100-150 characters per line because anything over than that is seen as clogging the chat box to some people. If you want to practice your long line /me, you should find another long /me user and hang out with them. Most people are really helpful when it comes to learning to roleplay and will try to help you perform better. Unless you're in gang rp, then it's people in /b complaining about how you came from Roblox RP or something because they voided something and complained when another IC confrontation happened.

All in all, start with passive rp or roleplay you didn't go out of your way to get yourself in to become patient in roleplay situations. But this is not really a heavy roleplay server from what I've seen out of other heavy roleplay servers on different mediums. So you'll be fine, this is a mix of hrp and mrp. Compare this to HL2RP on Gmod or HRP on SS13, some World of Warcraft RP servers even. There is usually no room for mistakes on servers like those and you will usually get banned/ignored in the first hour if you can not roleplay an actual character and not a meme gimmick that relies on that gimmick to create roleplay situations.

I think  most roleplayers on this server should read this thread because of the amount of stuff that can be seen as not heavy rp that I see. "I.E, Telling your thoughts in actions, /me looks angry at what X said." That is not heavy RP and never will be. Most heavy role-players know how to use their facial features to tell their emotions and do not rely on OOC /mes, funny thing is it's usually these people letting others know how they're the master roleplayers. Here's a good example on how you can add depth to your character without adding onto much. Lets do someone confused at a situation. Most roleplayers will hit you with the "/me has a puzzled look on their face." And that is perfectly fine with this type of roleplay but you want to improve that and become the ERP machine. So let's try this one out with the use of our facial features and actions to tell the emotion we're trying to convey. "/me raises an eyebrow as he squints at X, scratching his cheek for a second."  Now that's another perfect fine use of a /me that uses three actions to convey an emotion all in one. Now you can just use one of these actions or you can add onto it and give it more depth, instead of giving out these monotone expressions. I've been roleplaying since I was 7 years old on Habbo Hotel, moved on to World of Warcraft then HL2RP going onto SS13 and GTA:W. You can improve your roleplay skills like anything else in the world if that's what you really want. Half of these long /me players have the picture right but not the execution. On SS13 you had to be writing paragraphs as well make them make sense and not give out any MG information. but that brings me to the other thing about how everyone thinks they're the better roleplayer because they came from a more "heavy roleplay environment" That's usually BS and they probably got banned for mg or shit rp. Roleplay is roleplay at the end of the day, don't let other people control your roleplay only influence it.

Atmo?

And emotions in /me can make sense. It's all depending on the situation at hand. Good roleplayers adapt and try to make it enjoyable for both but there is a limit

Just now, Anders said:

Atmo?

And emotions in /me can make sense. It's all depending on the situation at hand. Good roleplayers adapt and try to make it enjoyable for both but there is a limit

Oh yeah, I agree with you on that which why I said it was perfectly fine, I use the basic expressions only in crowded settings imo. I've had to adapt a lot coming into GTA:W but I've been loving it ever since I put the application out

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Gallagher said:

NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER do a /me about something the other players can not see just by looking at you right now. i understand you want to describe your characters abusive childhood, but the way to do that isnt by cramming it into a /me. a /me THINKS should be bannable.

Extending this for attributes.

I've done /examine last night and suddenly felt like a dentist:

77a92b487d76725c589f8acebfb5dc4e.png

Bruh

I wasn't looking that closely!

And obviously, I also can't tell from gazing your battle wounds are from your old hometown etc.

Edited by knppel

Literally, just play a character; don't play yourself in real life (not an excuse to be a blue-haired snowflake with heterochromia).

Don't make choices because it makes sense out of character for you to do so/is more profitable, make choices that are what your character would make.

Play a character with flaws, be an inherently flawed person and commit yourself to those flaws 24/7. Nobody on earth is perfect.

Stick to those three things, and 9/10 you'll improve your own roleplay and the roleplay of those around you.

• Wuhtah locked this topic