Rename all guns to their real life names

TinPan

25 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

Not even comparable.

Dozens of different vehicle options.

5-6 different handgun options. 

I don't see how that's hard to understand why any freedom would be wanted.

> not even comparable

i literally just compared them...

idk man just seems silly to me that people RP their combat pistol as a browning HP and then it gets stolen and magically turns into a FN Five Seven or something 

"What type of pistol is that? Oh its a pistol. Yeah, what kind? A pistol."

I'm happy that pretty much everyone roleplays their weapon as being a real life model and while I don't see it as a huge issue that they're still referenced as their base game names for the purposes of the inventory etc. I feel like it would be a nice change to be able to set the name of your weapon to identify what it is just like you can with drugs etc.

5 minutes ago, NickyW said:

> not even comparable

i literally just compared them...

idk man just seems silly to me that people RP their combat pistol as a browning HP and then it gets stolen and magically turns into a FN Five Seven or something 

Just because you compare them doesn't make them comparable. That's not what that means.

It's also silly to close off an entire industry to people. The guns are left vague on purpose.

When it comes to weapons, the server doesn't care about realism. There are enough machine guns on the street to make a war zone jealous, and management won't even allow semi automatic rifles for fear of mall rat death squads with rifles. Which could be solved by banning them, but nah - too much.

And as much I would love to see a robust selection of guns to choose from with different makes and models, it's not going to be practical. People are going to want different stuff. People are gonna want super niche stuff. And while I think that's how it should be, ultimately they'll say because of the file sizes. Nobody is going to want to download 5 gigs of just guns.

9 minutes ago, Storm said:

"What type of pistol is that? Oh its a pistol. Yeah, what kind? A pistol."

I'm happy that pretty much everyone roleplays their weapon as being a real life model and while I don't see it as a huge issue that they're still referenced as their base game names for the purposes of the inventory etc. I feel like it would be a nice change to be able to set the name of your weapon to identify what it is just like you can with drugs etc.

Would definitely be nice, but I can guarantee that you'd end up seeing a lot of people choosing gun names and types that don't make any particular sense to have around either due to the firearms rarity or due to the in-game model of the gun itself.

Last thing that's needed is someone renaming a gun that looks exactly like a TEC-9 into a Glock 18, or saying their Hunting Rifle is a Mosin Nagant.

6 minutes ago, TinPan said:

Would definitely be nice, but I can guarantee that you'd end up seeing a lot of people choosing gun names and types that don't make any particular sense to have around either due to the firearms rarity or due to the in-game model of the gun itself.

Last thing that's needed is someone renaming a gun that looks exactly like a TEC-9 into a Glock 18, or saying their Hunting Rifle is a Mosin Nagant.

It'd be subject to moderation if seen being misused just like drugs and anything else. If you buy a gun that looks off or doesn't resemble what its named as just report and allow admins to be able to reset the weapon name.

11 minutes ago, Mescalero said:

Just implement something like /setgunname, problem solved. There aren't enough add-on firearms to cover this suggestion.  

This one pretty much. Allow for custom weapon names similar to the current drug system to allow people roleplaying their firearm model as they wish without being excessively restrictive with one name for one gun at a variety of 6-8 different handguns.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2021 at 7:07 PM, Marksman said:

The recent addon weapons shouldn't have received their real life names. They're the exception, not the precedent.

This. This. This.

The ideal would be enough lore guns to use fully lore brand names + models so we could stop using irl brands and models.

There would be a guide on the forums explaining the IRL equivalents to the lore brands and models to give people an idea of how to roleplay each model, but it'd all be lore.

But no, we have Combat Pistol, Standard Pistol, Glock, and Sig. And the other guns, with their silly names.

Edited by u10sil
  • Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic