How do you RP the economy?

Busch

On 5/8/2021 at 4:17 PM, knppel said:

Money is to be kept ic.

People who don't rp their money while telling themselves they do it to be "realistic" are, pardon my french, fucking up the system.

They keep it back as an ooc resource to use when convenient, but refuse to do what irl established, wealthy members of the society do (regardless if legal or illegal for that part), re-invest their money and thus create a trinkle-down effect where poorer people looking for work can profit from other people's wealth.

At the same time their piled up money is still on the server, and they themselves complain about it (while at the same time keeping it regardless instead to simply erase it and play poor without resources as you might always need it for a firearm or a car "to rp with", lmao).

This creates the illusion that the server is overflowed with money (when actually, as anyone rping every single dollar can tell you, it isn't- money in bank accounts that's never used nor even roleplayed to be there does not contribute shit to the server's economy, and creates no rp either).

No I'm not going to RP my 16 year old gang banger having 200K. I'll gladly continue "fucking up the system"

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Sixty said:

Yeah I’ve always had an issue with that as well. They give you $500+ an hour and $200,000 starting cash, plus $4000 an hour for jobs with /startshift. You spend the time to earn money and then they tell you that money wouldn’t be realistic for your character to have. Then WHY did I get it in the first place? The incentive is to encourage role play, but then when I want to step outside of the box a little suddenly it’s OOC unrealistic even though I earned that money IC. This has never really made a lot of sense. If you don’t want people stockpiling all this cash, reduce the amount of cash that is injected into a player’s bank account and adjust market conditions accordingly. 

24 minutes ago, arandomgamer said:

Factions and Admins should outright not have the right to say " Yo you can't have that " when you clearly have it with money you made IC.

It's outright OOC favoritism to tell someone he can't use his ingame money.

If you cant see why a bartender/cashier shouldnt be able to roleplay owning 5 sports cars and 2 houses u shouldnt be playing the server. This isnt second life or IMVU u cant just grind a job and expect to be allowed to drive around in a cheetah. If you two had your way police officers would be driving around in sports cars and cashiers would have helicopters, is that actually what you want? You get 200k starter and good money for script jobs because this is a rp server not a work simulator nobody wants to grind to be able to get an apartment or car to rp with, but there has to be ooc limits to stop people from taking advantage of that (like you two want to). Kind of baffling someone has to even explain this to you. 

Everyone who replied is complaining without offering a good alternative, the way it is now has flaws but it makes more sense than u guys saying let bartenders be millionares ICly.

7 minutes ago, arandomgamer said:

So freely allow transfer to other characters.

u can already asset transfer request from char to char

IC I can't use the 1 million dollars BUT I CAN BE ROBBED for 1 million dollars even though I don't own that money.

the fuck are u talking about the robbery limit is 5k and scam limit is 75k literally what are u talking about

You guys are focusing too much on the number in the corner of your screen.

Money is only there to facilitate roleplay. That's it. That's all it's there for. That's why you earn $200,000 just for making a character. It's there to allow your character to live the life they would realistically be living.

Playing a medium to low class character? Great, the $200,000 will cover you. Buy an apartment, buy a shitty car and enjoy the roleplay.

Playing a high class character with a sports car and a penthouse? Get a job or run a business that could realistically make that kind of money.

The focus should always be on the roleplay, not the number in the corner of your screen. Just because you can buy a sports car from bartending, doesn't mean you should. Do what makes sense to your character.

2 minutes ago, Whoopty said:

If you cant see why a bartender/cashier shouldnt be able to roleplay owning 5 sports cars and 2 houses u shouldnt be playing the server. This isnt second life or IMVU u cant just grind a job and expect to be allowed to drive around in a cheetah. If you two had your way police officers would be driving around in sports cars and cashiers would have helicopters, is that actually what you want? You get 200k starter and good money for script jobs because this is a rp server not a work simulator nobody wants to grind to be able to get an apartment or car to rp with, but there has to be ooc limits to stop people from taking advantage of that (like you two want to). Kind of baffling someone has to even explain this to you. 

Everyone who replied is complaining without offering a good alternative, the way it is now has flaws but it makes more sense than u guys saying let bartenders be millionares ICly.

How many people would bartend without the pay? It's not like people do it because it's fun RP for them.

There's a reason Nervous had to put the 4000/hr payment on gas stations and taxi drivers, no one was doing that shit because it's boring.

The reason people do these jobs is money. ANd now you're saying they can't use that money. If you can't see how nonsensical that is, this discussion is pointless.

You get 200k starter

200K is only enough to buy a property. It's not even enough to represent a middle income person who has a house and a decent car. What if I want to play someone that's well off? I now have to grind money bartending.

Which brings us back to the original problem.

Everyone who replied is complaining without offering a good alternative

1. Stop pretending money is IC when it clearly isn't.

2. Give people a ton of money from the start so that they can RP what they want instead of having to grind money.

2 minutes ago, Whoopty said:

That's not what I actually mean though, because my amateur DJ character still lives in a one room studio and drives an Admiral he got from his dad because that's what I choose his story to be, despite the fact that his payments and money were fully IC and didn't come from any script, netting him enough money to not have to live the life I impose on him, thus literally having to ignore RP (which is technically against the rules).

3 minutes ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

Money is only there to facilitate roleplay.

So why don't we get 1 million dollars then?

In one breath you say it's there to facilitate roleplay in the other you say

3 minutes ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

Get a job or run a business that could realistically make that kind of money.

WHich one is it?

Why would my neurosurgeon have to buy a bar and grind it out for months when realistically he'd already have everything?

4 minutes ago, Whoopty said:

the fuck are u talking about the robbery limit is 5k and scam limit is 75k literally what are u talking about

The robbery limit is being removed.

Edited by arandomgamer
1 minute ago, arandomgamer said:

1. Stop pretending money is IC when it clearly isn't.

2. Give people a ton of money from the start so that they can RP what they want instead of having to grind money.

You genuinely believe giving everyone a bunch of money is a better alternative? If you wanna play on a server where everyone rps a rich business owner with sports cars and every car u see costs 400k+, theres something called gta online.

and the 1st one i agree with u on but that doesnt change anything, ur still yet to offer a feasible alternative that isnt "give evry1 all cash ahaha problem solvf"

Just now, Whoopty said:

You genuinely believe giving everyone a bunch of money is a better alternative? If you wanna play on a server where everyone rps a rich business owner with sports cars and every car u see costs 400k+, theres something called gta online.

and the 1st one i agree with u on but that doesnt change anything, ur still yet to offer a feasible alternative that isnt "give evry1 all cash ahaha problem solvf"

If people want to roleplay a rich business owner with sports cars they'll just grind money until they can do that. My alternative simply removes the clearly OOC grind.

• Wuhtah locked this topic