How do you RP the economy?

Busch

Greetings everyone,

I was somewhat curious and I wanted to see how everyone RPs the economy in this server. Also the overall economy plays a huge role in my RP. Anyway, personally  what I RP is what everyone has. As in PD earns what they earn, every civilian has their 800 hourly paycheck. My reason behind RPing this is because the government wants to populate the town but there’s such a home crime rate that no one would realistically live there unless incentivized by money, also another reason why PD and others earn so much. 

So... How do you RP it? Tbh this is very important since the economy is not something you can control and either way you’re exposed to it by looking at what goes around you. Even if you RPed as a hobo and claimed you were poor.

Thank you.

Money is to be kept ic.

People who don't rp their money while telling themselves they do it to be "realistic" are, pardon my french, fucking up the system.

They keep it back as an ooc resource to use when convenient, but refuse to do what irl established, wealthy members of the society do (regardless if legal or illegal for that part), re-invest their money and thus create a trinkle-down effect where poorer people looking for work can profit from other people's wealth.

At the same time their piled up money is still on the server, and they themselves complain about it (while at the same time keeping it regardless instead to simply erase it and play poor without resources as you might always need it for a firearm or a car "to rp with", lmao).

This creates the illusion that the server is overflowed with money (when actually, as anyone rping every single dollar can tell you, it isn't- money in bank accounts that's never used nor even roleplayed to be there does not contribute shit to the server's economy, and creates no rp either).

• Applaud 1
3 hours ago, knppel said:

Money is to be kept ic.

People who don't rp their money while telling themselves they do it to be "realistic" are, pardon my french, fucking up the system.

They keep it back as an ooc resource to use when convenient, but refuse to do what irl established, wealthy members of the society do (regardless if legal or illegal for that part), re-invest their money and thus create a trinkle-down effect where poorer people looking for work can profit from other people's wealth.

At the same time their piled up money is still on the server, and they themselves complain about it (while at the same time keeping it regardless instead to simply erase it and play poor without resources as you might always need it for a firearm or a car "to rp with", lmao).

This creates the illusion that the server is overflowed with money (when actually, as anyone rping every single dollar can tell you, it isn't- money in bank accounts that's never used nor even roleplayed to be there does not contribute shit to the server's economy, and creates no rp either).

I don't keep money IC, because the script economy makes very little sense. Prices make no sense, salaries make no sense. My suspension of disbelief has a hard enough time with the crime, I'm not going to pretend that 5 hours of work at a convenience store should be enough to buy a car. I also won't pretend that a bandana / mask costs 5000 dollars. This also makes no sense. I don't begrudge other people for RPing every penny they own, it's just not for me. I don't necessarily want to play a rags-to-riches story on every character. I had a country stripper living in a trailer with a million in the bank and a college student with half a million. Every single character I've played ended up with more money than it made sense for them to have. I spend whatever money makes sense for my character to spend, so I'm not buying supercars and high-end penthouses and whatever else, generally speaking.

I really don't think any of that is fucking the system, because there is no lack of cash in circulation, at all, that I'm aware of. Could you clarify what you mean by that?

Edited by hillievonb
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
4 hours ago, knppel said:

Money is to be kept ic.

I mean this is true to some degree. However I've met multiple people which many would consider "mallrats" That came up to me for advice on making businesses. They were not allowed because of their history. So that is a big other reason why some people hoard money, not their ideas but what they get limited to. 

34 minutes ago, hillievonb said:

I don't necessarily want to play a rags-to-riches story on every character. I had a country stripper living in a trailer with a million in the bank and a college student with half a million. Every single character I've played ended up with more money than it made sense for them to have. I spend whatever money makes sense for my character to spend, so I'm not buying supercars and high-end penthouses and whatever else, generally speaking.

If supercars and high end houses are the only thing you can think to spend on you've not read my post.

You got a stripper with a million in the bank? Develop a drug addiction and create jobs in the criminal sector.

Depends on character, but I normally roleplay all money I have, somehow. Let's start with the obvious, you break into a car and find nothing, cause people do not store anything there, which isn't exactly realistic. So you could take a small amount from your bank and emulate a small gain from items or change found it the car. Yes could be PG but whatever. Other than that, if I have a solid job that gets me money, I would do my character wrong if I didn't roleplay those money. Also an advice if you really wanna roleplay someone poor, keep only as much money as it's necessary in the beginning, you can always /charity whatever amount you have.

10 minutes ago, knppel said:

If supercars and high end houses are the only thing you can think to spend on you've not read my post.

You got a stripper with a million in the bank? Develop a drug addiction and create jobs in the criminal sector.

She did a good bit of coke. Like I said, "I spend whatever money makes sense for my character to spend". It would not make sense for my character to spend a million dollars on anything, however, because realistically she should not have had a million dollars in the first place.

4 hours ago, knppel said:

trinkle-down effect where poorer people looking for work can profit from other people's wealth.

Trickle down economics is a sham. I highly suggest you reevaluate your argument if that's going to be your basis.

1 minute ago, Zayyy said:

think we need a official statement from management on how we're supposed to rp the encomoy 

We've been given one multiple times by management, people just refuse to accept it.

$100 = $10, an exception is made for items like masks which give players a serious buff because at the end of the day this is a game. Whatever an items price is IG is it's actual price, as much as people seem so distraught whenever they have to RP that. Here's the thing about an economy, it doesn't have to match real life as long as it's balanced. People getting upset by this OOCly are focusing on the wrong issues.

• Wuhtah locked this topic