How do you RP the economy?

Busch

3 minutes ago, Jester said:

Instead of just doing the trucking job, have you thought about getting a job to roleplay instead...you know since this is a RP server. 

Why would my neurosurgeon, who I lack the money to play, get a job in a bar?

3 minutes ago, Jester said:

As everyone has said the money is oocly

If the money is OOC why did you just suggest I get an IC job for it?

5 minutes ago, arandomgamer said:

If the money is OOC why did you just suggest I get an IC job for it?

This is why I say GTAW is an MMO and not Heavy RP.

They're suggesting you grind for it, or go through a long, convoluted, and arbitrary set of processes.

1 minute ago, Smilesville said:

They're suggesting you grind for it

I mean I wouldn't mind grinding for it if I could actually use it on the char I have to grind. But what they want me to do is grind, then transfer the money or namechange.

It's so nonsensical. Why would I do that? Why do I need to waste 100 hours of my life on a character that's only created because I don't have the money to just RP what I wanted from the start?

It baffles me that there's a single soul out there who doesn't understand how flawed what I just described is.

19 minutes ago, arandomgamer said:

I mean I wouldn't mind grinding for it if I could actually use it on the char I have to grind. But what they want me to do is grind, then transfer the money or namechange.

It's so nonsensical. Why would I do that? Why do I need to waste 100 hours of my life on a character that's only created because I don't have the money to just RP what I wanted from the start?

It baffles me that there's a single soul out there who doesn't understand how flawed what I just described is.

I've made this point several times: the stated purpose of the server doesn't actually mesh with how the server works, so we need to overhaul one of those two things if we ever want them to mesh.

The barrier for entry to more nuanced concepts isn't typically good roleplay, it's grinding out script cash.

The best advice I have is to try opening up your own surgical practice, but part of me would also caution that yours is a concept ahead of the times - it won't be easy, especially given there's near zero script support for that sort of thing.

Edited by Smilesville
4 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

I've made this point several times: the stated purpose of the server doesn't actually mesh with how the server works, so we need to overhaul one of those two things if we ever want them to mesh.

The barrier for entry to more nuanced concepts isn't typically good roleplay, it's grinding out script cash.

The best advice I have is to try opening up your own surgical practice, but part of me would also caution that yours is a concept ahead of the times - it won't be easy, especially given there's near zero script support for that sort of thing.

It's a hypothetical. I'm well aware roleplay that isn't bar/shop/club is hard to come by as a civilian.

I just want more money around. I think the server says one thing ( Money is OOC/a tool for RP ) and does another ( low starting money compared to the price of most things, passive income if you're not hired by someone is pretty much null, you're not actually allowed to use all that money you make ).

For instance let's say I have a character working a 9-15 job. I don't actively roleplay the job because I am IRL doing other stuff until evening but I should still get paid character wise, because my character has a job and doesn't stop existing when I can't play. 

The server heavily favors characters that have an evening job.

Edited by arandomgamer
10 minutes ago, arandomgamer said:

It's a hypothetical. I'm well aware roleplay that isn't bar/shop/club is hard to come by as a civilian.

Not just as a civilian. My attempts to create an unorthodox illegal faction were met with admonition - evidently my concept did not mesh with what staff at the time understood to be a realistic portrayal. Where I wanted to create more of an underground community, they preferred to pigeonhole us into becoming yet another faction of drug pushers (except this time, we'd be Japanese. Oooooh.) Needless to say, I wasn't interested.

My frustration is that this was an active push by staff and management at the time, and I don't see many changes from that behavior today.

I just want more money around. I think the server says one thing ( Money is OOC/a tool for RP ) and does another ( low starting money compared to the price of most things, passive income if you're not hired by someone is pretty much null, you're not actually allowed to use all that money you make ).

For instance let's say I have a character working a 9-15 job. I don't actively roleplay the job because I am IRL doing other stuff until evening but I should still get paid character wise, because my character has a job and doesn't stop existing when I can't play. 

This is precisely why one of my suggestions was to allow the economy to revolve around purchasing power, rather than absolute cash - only problem there is factoring in streams of income that can fluctuate wildly (gig work, criminal enterprise, gambling, etc.)

Ironically, the starting cash is probably why everything is so expensive. GTAW has put a lot of work into trying to create a functioning economy that it neglected to address that simply adding dollars to it causes inflation of the currency.

Edited by Smilesville

You do realize neuro suregons have to pay for school and living expenses while going to school right. Want to play a neurosurgeon cool, tend a bar for a bit and talk about how you are still in school. This is you wanting to jump to the finish line without wanting to put a bit of effort in. 

No one likes to grind, but the grind on this server is negligible since again you can just rp a job you find and enjoy yourself before you reach your end goal. This just seems that you don't want to rp unless you get to be a big shot neurosurgeon, which shows no growth in your character. How did they get there? What did they have to give up to follow that goal. This is stuff you can develop while role-playing. 

1 minute ago, Jester said:

You do realize neuro suregons have to pay for school and living expenses while going to school right. Want to play a neurosurgeon cool, tend a bar for a bit and talk about how you are still in school. This is you wanting to jump to the finish line without wanting to put a bit of effort in. 

No one likes to grind, but the grind on this server is negligible since again you can just rp a job you find and enjoy yourself before you reach your end goal. This just seems that you don't want to rp unless you get to be a big shot neurosurgeon, which shows no growth in your character. How did they get there? What did they have to give up to follow that goal. This is stuff you can develop while role-playing. 

With that mindset, is it any wonder that we have a server population entirely of twenty somethings? What about the 50 year old who's already been through medical school, already had a practice, etc?

The idea of jumping to the finish line without putting effort in seems like much more of a MMO mindset than a RP mindset.

2 minutes ago, Jester said:

This is you wanting to jump to the finish line without wanting to put a bit of effort in. 

Because it's silly to demand that all characters start as student. Maybe I want to play a 40 year old.

2 minutes ago, Jester said:

No one likes to grind,

Then why do we have to do it? Just get rid of it.

Because it is a rp server, just because you want to rp a 40 doesn't stop you. Hell be a 40 year neurosurgeon, say you decided to change jobs and still paying off loans, or maybe be a neurosurgeon with a shitty car and apartment till you can afford the nice stuff. 

This is your own desire to want all the best stuff on the server right away which is just boring. It seems like you would enjoy GTA online more, real easy to get the best of everything on there although I warn you there is still a couple of heists you may have to do. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic