Your thoughts on law enforcement and jail?

Amellis

3 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Imagine you’re a cop, and you don’t have the energy or inspiration to conduct a meaningful and engaging traffic stop. Why make the stop in the first place? 

Specially when you're not following traffic laws on duty.

Force the law upon others but ignore it in the process 😐

2 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Imagine you’re a cop, and you don’t have the energy or inspiration to conduct a meaningful and engaging traffic stop. Why make the stop in the first place? 

Not certain if you're asking about real life or in-game. I won't touch on how cops work IRL etc. because this is a game.

If you don't have the "energy or inspiration" to conduct a well roleplayed traffic stop as a cop character, then you shouldn't be in-game, or even roleplaying that character. Nobody is forcing you to stop every car, it's a game and not a real life job - a choice of your own roleplay. That's exactly I was talking about the robocop mentality - stop every car even if it means bad and dull roleplay. And if you can't make good roleplay, then you don't deserve to be in the faction. Simple as that.

Just now, undefined said:

Not certain if you're asking about real life or in-game. I won't touch on how cops work IRL etc. because this is a game.

If you don't have the "energy or inspiration" to conduct a well roleplayed traffic stop as a cop character, then you shouldn't be in-game, or even roleplaying that character. Nobody is forcing you to stop every car, it's a game and not a real life job - a choice of your own roleplay. That's exactly I was talking about the robocop mentality - stop every car even if it means bad and dull roleplay. And if you can't make good roleplay, then you don't deserve to be in the faction. Simple as that.

Most certainly talking about the game. But could it be a factor that people are so preoccupied on portraying what they think the LAPD is like (“this is a cop, this is what they sound like”) that people neglect to think what their character is like? Sometimes my interactions with cops just feel like an audition for whoever can appear like one instead of being one. Like the premise of certain characters is just that they are a cop, instead of a character that became a cop and simply is at the moment of interaction.

5 hours ago, RufioCas said:

None of what you’re saying makes any sense, it’s 2021. People are always mobile, and people don’t get killed for being in someone else’s hood. This isn’t 80s LA, and it certainly isn’t Iraq.

”If you snitch you must move to another city” Huh? My dude, I can appreciate you being from Central America where MS13 patrols the streets with guns but I can assure you USA is nothing like what you have just described.

No, you don't get killed for being in someone else hood... When you start engaging activities such as robberies in someone else hood you clearly become a target, you may have gotten confused by my grammar.

I'm not from central america and MS13 never was a thing in my country and no gang even in the worst hoods patrols the streets with guns. If you snitch someone from your neighborhood you will stay and become a target? The most logical thing to do before getting caught is going to get that person killed when it comes to big stuff such as Murder or other crimes than may affect seriously a gang operation.

Also this isn't LA, if it was LA some illegals wouldn't be acting like they do ingame, so don't keep spamming posts about LA when it's not LA at 90%

Edited by Xaleya
43 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

You’ve been saying that here since 2018. I honestly have no idea what you do on the server, or what happened to you that has made you so adversarial and inhospitable towards illegal roleplay. It’s like a massive part of the community is just invisible to you. 

I've been involved in most sorts of roleplay on the server - from organized crime, to legal (as in law-oriented) play through a lawyer, to managing a business, to street vagabond, to organized crime adjacent, and everything in-between. The only thing I haven't done is play an officer because I frankly don't have enough time in the day to deal with all the forum nonsense they're engaged in.

Cops say I'm inhospitable toward police RP (you should see what they said on their discord when I was a lawyer.)

Criminals say I'm inhospitable toward illegal roleplay.

I'm honestly sick of the RPGish desire to win from both parties. Any suggestion that inhibits their ability to win is immediately castigated, and it's a gross attitude from both sides that feeds off the other. Sure, realistic jail sentences would alleviate the distinct lack of realism in how we deal with crime, but that might interfere with a robber's chain robbing for PF guns. If we required realistic extortions, maybe Tony Trampolino won't earn as much money waltzing into clubs during open hours with his thinly veiled business propositions. Sure, a more realistic legal process would alleviate the lack of realism in how crime is dealt with, but then cops couldn't gloat over their wide latitude over the legal system - far outstripping anything remotely realistic. Don't even get me started on how government paychecks are still broken - they shouldn't reliably produce the most wealthy players on the server, but it seems some players need an IG bribe to deal with the forum nonsense.

The flavor of the week is law enforcement brute forcing the device process by placing 15 bugs in a single house - flagrantly taking advantage of the insane cooldown for picking up a single device in the process.

I see a problem with server incentives, so I proposed solutions - and as you mentioned, I've been fairly consistent about it for a number of years.

Edited by Smilesville
11 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

I've been involved in most sorts of roleplay on the server - from organized crime, to legal (as in law-oriented) play through a lawyer, to managing a business, to street vagabond, to organized crime adjacent, and everything in-between. The only thing I haven't done is play an officer because I frankly don't have enough time in the day to deal with all the forum nonsense they're engaged in.

Cops say I'm inhospitable toward police RP (you should see what they said on their discord when I was a lawyer.)

Criminals say I'm inhospitable toward illegal roleplay.

I'm honestly sick of the RPGish desire to win from both parties. Any suggestion that inhibits their ability to win is immediately castigated, and it's a gross attitude from both sides that feeds off the other. Sure, realistic jail sentences would alleviate the distinct lack of realism in how we deal with crime, but that might interfere with a robber's chain robbing for PF guns. If we required realistic extortions, maybe Tony Trampolino won't earn as much money waltzing into clubs during open hours with his thinly veiled business propositions. Sure, a more realistic legal process would alleviate the lack of realism in how crime is dealt with, but then cops couldn't gloat over their wide latitude over the legal system - far outstripping anything remotely realistic. Don't even get me started on how government paychecks are still broken - they shouldn't reliably produce the most wealthy players on the server, but it seems some players need an IG bribe to deal with the forum nonsense.

The flavor of the week is law enforcement brute forcing the device process by placing 15 bugs in a single house - flagrantly taking advantage of the insane cooldown for picking up a single device in the process.

I see a problem with server incentives, so I proposed solutions - and as you mentioned, I've been fairly consistent about it for a number of years.

You’ve been consistent in what you proposed, but also consistent in being increasingly antagonist. I’m no expert, but I think you’re having a bad time because you propose things in a way that immediately makes people want to instinctively reject it - despite having good ideas. The way you present and have been presenting essentially leaves you with a hostile audience, which completely changes the way discourse works. Again, I’m no expert but maybe it’s worth looking into that and doing a bit of reflecting.

23 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

The way you present and have been presenting essentially leaves you with a hostile audience, which completely changes the way discourse works. Again, I’m no expert but maybe it’s worth looking into that and doing a bit of reflecting.

I'd provide the alternate theory that a visceral reaction to a suggestion has far more to do with unwarranted feelings of persecution rather than anything I've actually said. Still, whether or not a suggestion I've made is adopted, there is value in bringing those biases to the fore - never mind the implementation of a suggestion has very little to do with persuading a large number of people so much as persuading the right people.

A suggestion will never please everyone - and will certainly never please anyone who is predisposed to oppose it, regardless of its merits. Those people are not the audience I'm intending a given suggestion for, so there's really no sense in trying to woo those people.

2 hours ago, undefined said:

Being in-game doesn't make you actually roleplay anything. You could just AFK through it like it's been done all the time on one particular server we know.

It is starting to sound like an excellent means to weed out problem players, then, as this is a roleplay server. If people are logging in without the intent to roleplay, we do not need or want them here.

This threat of "we'll break your proposed fix by breaking the rules" is not the best counter-argument, and honestly is pretty telling. 

An implementation like this would be very demotivating for female bangers. There may not be nearly as many females as there are males, but this small minority of players would be very negatively effected by this. 

The times my char has been in jail, there’s been either zero or one other female inmate, and we weren’t allowed to congregate (or really RP) with male inmates at all. Which is an IC thing and I’m not complaining about it, however until there are improvements in the amount of people RP’ing in TTCF, this would be detrimental to female banger RP. Going to prison has been a huge part of my char’s development, and the same probably applies for other female bangers, and of course males alike. 

Just because some people don’t properly RP or log off immediately after going to jail doesn’t mean everyone should be impacted. It’s a small few, as a large part of the illegal community is pushing for improving jail RP anyway. 

While we are all here arguing over whether or not jail time should be heightened or lessened or whatever it may be... Can we turn some of our attention to the fact that the police hardly RP traffic laws, or drive with common sense.. They're quick to pull you over for not using a blinker or not fully stopping.. When they themselves blast through the stop signs or stop lights.. cut you off.. run into you when you RP the traffic lights and just take off... or just overall act like the law wouldn't apply to them.

• Wuhtah locked this topic
  • effion unlocked this topic